It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Age philosophy more sophisticated than Christianity?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Do you view New Age philosophy more sophisticated than Christian doctrine?

Granted New Age philosophy does cover a lot here just an example.

Universal Salvation for all compared to eternal damnation for unbelievers in Christianity.

Personal spirituality compared to congregationalism

Seeks better understanding of the Universe and God compared to limited view of God and focus on Earth.

Different paths lead to God compared to only such and such denomination is correct.

Open to science compared to rejecting science that doesn't agree with doctrine (ie the Earth is 6000 years old. Which is nonsense since God is outside of time and billions of years of planetary evolution is acceptable.)

That's just some examples, I know it's more complex but it's just a stepping stone to get a discussion going.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinFoilHatMan55

Granted New Age philosophy does cover a lot here just an example.

Universal Salvation for all compared to eternal damnation for unbelievers in Christianity.

Personal spirituality compared to congregationalism

Seeks better understanding of the Universe and God compared to limited view of God and focus on Earth.

Different paths lead to God compared to only such and such denomination is correct.

Open to science compared to rejecting science that doesn't agree with doctrine (ie the Earth is 6000 years old. Which is nonsense since God is outside of time and billions of years of planetary evolution is acceptable.)

That's just some examples, I know it's more complex but it's just a stepping stone to get a discussion going.

Part of the problem is that you are comparing and adult (new age)
concept with one particular aspect of Christianity that functions on the
same level as what was learned as a child, and by no means defines
mainstream Christianity.

The majority of Christians realize that one's knowledge of faith, along with
creed and doctrine must develope, just as does other areas of life, and
not stagnate at the level of a child.

It is personal spirituality and personal relationship with God that is
expressed through ones religious celebrations.

The Vatican observatory is involved in astrobiology, the questions of life
origins and whether life exists elsewhere in the universe, because they
offer many philosophical and theological implications, they deserve serious consideration.

Mainline Christianity has no conflict with evolution and the fact that the
age of the earth is in the billions.

The purpose of the Bible was never to explain the how of anything, it
knows nothing of science, of the cosmos, its purpose is the why of
creation.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by TinFoilHatMan55

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by 'new age' psychology ... it tends to be used as an overly broad term to amalgamate all that isn't part of traditional and mainstream organized religions.

A lot of what is incorrectly termed 'new age' is in fact based on ancient texts and teachings from all major religious traditions. It is in fact those teachings that are common to all faiths and religions, and namely they all point one inwards instead of outwards.. In fact, at the time of birth of all modern religions, before they became religions, those who understood and practiced those teachings (for example christian gnostics) were quickly marginalized and persecuted because they practiced and lived in a way that neither required or justified organized religious institutions.

So most that was the essence of the great teachers such as Jesus, Mohammed, Buddha (to a lesser extent), etc, was lost because it did not serve the purposes of religions. After all, if all that is required and all that there is is already within us, there is little use for religious carrot > stick mentality and surrender to an external conceptual "god."

Therefore 'New Age,' at least in a narrower definition that the broad one currently used, is in fact the exact opposite of its nomenclature ... it is reconnecting with the most ancient and most fundamental of teachings.

PS. It should be noted that 'new age' is now experiencing the same trappings that the above religions faced eons ago. Namely that there are many who care little for the intrinsic meanings and, much like like religious institutions, are just out to profit from the underlying message. It it those who actually try to broaden the terminology for more people > more money.

Still, despite all that, if one is moved towards authentic inquiry and is willing to let go of external and promissory attachments, the teachings and the knowledge are always available despite great efforts to suppress them ...calling it 'new age' or 'old age' is in the end, entirely irrelevant.

[edit on 2 Feb 2010 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
It's impossible for the Earth to be billions of years old, millions for that matter.

Think about this. I said this before.

The world population in 1700 was 700,000 million people.

we went from that in (300 measly years) To

How is it possible that we can 10 times that in 300 years yet the world is billions of years old? it's impossible. we should have zillions of people by now. More than that.

The world started around 6,000 years or more ago IMO.

If the world were on billion years old, that means only 7 people should be born each year.

and yet, it doesn't spread after the first 500,000, only 7 people should be born a year and it's more than 1 billion years old according to scientists.

it's ridiculous and not possible in any means whatsoever.

peace.

[edit on 2-2-2010 by JesusisTruth]

[edit on 3-2-2010 by JesusisTruth]

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
what I meant by the above post is that we 10 times our population in 300 years. In a billion years we should have over populated the planets millions upon millions of years ago.

It can't be billions of years old.

peace.

[edit on 3-2-2010 by JesusisTruth]

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Yes,I do. Now, with that being said, I have to say that the "new age" is not very uniform. It is fairly scattered. One "new ager" may believe something that is completely contrary to what another does.

[edit on 3-2-2010 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by JesusisTruth

i am going to assume your joking because no one can be THAT dim... just because the earth IS 4 billion+ years old doesn't mean the human race is. and have you ever heard of an exponential growth rate? i would suggest you look into it before posting again.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 03:55 AM
link   
without ? YES! u2ume if u have beef with this.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by TinFoilHatMan55

what kind of evangelist ru? un r colocked out! i may not b back 4 a maonth or more!

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinFoilHatMan55

Christianity sophisticated? Really? Basically what you have there is a deranged blood cult based on the human blood sacrifice of a virgin male. So if new age (cough) philosophy is more sophisticated than that, it isn't saying much.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Lilitu

I don't know if you meant that derogatorily towards the "New age" or Christianity, and it matters not. However, I think you are misunderstanding what tin is asking. I think he is asking whether the "New age" is more complex than Christianity, which it certainly is.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Oh my yes. The New Age is far more advanced and complexed. It teaches there are many different routes to the Divine.

All paths lead to God though so I doubt it matters what religion you follow as long as it is sincere.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Sorry about that low number of people occupying this planet.

Man"Kind has been doing everything it can for the last 3000 years to design and use better weapons of destruction.

Just think if we had not killed all those people in wars and revolutions and murders.

Plus throw in all those who passed from natural disasters and abortions or at birthday.

We would be standing elbows to elbows beside each other now.

And yes there have been other civilizations on this planet before the present one.Some believe we are the seventh civilization here now.

There are religions of this planet that predate any the Moses based religions
by 1000 of years. Most of them are from Asia.

A majority of the New Age philosophy is just rehashing beliefs from them.

Once we have reached the tipping point,the earth will do just that.

Flip on it's axis which will reverse the magnetic field and after all of those are dead,any that survive will stumble out of the rubble and start all over.

Geologist always talk about how many times they count magnetic reversals in the rock they find.

On to number eight.

[edit on 3-2-2010 by calcoastseeker]

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ProphetOfDoom2012

Certainly.

I mean, anyone who knows about spirituality knows that the "New age" is one of the most complex of any, in regards to spirituality. I would assume that it is mainly caused from the fact that it is rather syncretic. It takes a little from here and a little from there and combines it.

As somewhat of a "New ager" myself,I have to point out that one of the problems with the "New age" movement is that there isn't any conformity. There is not any set of morals or mores that is applicable to all forms of the movement.

There is not any revered text, or manuscript. There isn't any set of rules, other than love. If there is one core foundation of the "New age" movement, it is love. As we all know, love is rather a subjective concept, so, you know....

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   

How does this have anything to do with the topic of the thread?

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Yes but things did ideed exist before we did my friend

-Kyo

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   

It's impossible for the Earth to be billions of years old, millions for that matter. Think about this.

I said this before.

The world population in 1700 was 700,000 million people.

we went from that in (300 measly years) To

How is it possible that we can 10 times that in 300 years yet the world is billions of years old? it's impossible. we should have zillions of people by now. More than that.

The world started around 6,000 years or more ago IMO.

I would usually find something like this rather funny, but it's just quite sad really. Good luck, you're going to need it

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I fail to see how anything that JesusisTruth said pertains to anything in this thread. The mods should have removed it for being off topic. However, for whatever reason, either through a lack of knowledge about the "New age" is or something else, most of the posters chose to respond to what Jesus isTruth said rather than what tinfoilhat asked.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I have a bible form HarperCollinsPublishers

Matthew 17:20 It was because you haven't enough faith, answered Jesus. I assure you that if you have faith as big as a mustard seed, you can say to this hill, Go from here to there! and it will go. YOU COULD DO ANYTHING!.

Matthew 17:21 IS NOT THERE

So in fact they deleted Jesus words how to drive this demons out and say there is no way to drive them out.

Matthew 17:21 But this kind does not go out except by prayer and fasting.

Collins is one of the 13 satanic bloodlines.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by AeosGuru

What's that got to do with the question? Geeeez.....
Tinfoil, DID NOT ask to have bible verses quoted to him.

[edit on 6-2-2010 by SpeakerofTruth]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join