It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Question of the Power of Dreams

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Well, I just want to share a brief example from my last night's dream and wonder if anyone else has ever felt the power that could make a boy believe in something higher than himself.

This has happened to me before, the effect of dreams redirecting my thoughts on life, and this just happens to be a new one.

To begin, it was one of those dreams where I couldn't remember falling asleep (but who can? lol) and the dream seemed to take days and days, it was a long on'. Anyway, I was consciously thinking, but what was going on and what I was seeing was beyond my control.

I remember thinking of my mom, (I don't remember if I saw her and that's why or if I thought and *poof* ya know), then my family. (Backstory - parents are divorced) My mom and dad were together and so was one of my brothers and they were enjoying themselves in a room that I didn't recognize, I think they were repainting it. And at that time, it hit me how much I wanted them back together, which is a new thing since I never minded their divorce and I was a logical kid, I knew all the reasons, I'm quite certain nothing had been repressed. I woke up, overwhelmed with that new thought, something I never really felt before.

Anyway, I just thought it'd be cool to share if dreams have had any impact on peoples' lives, and what the dreams were, if ya don't mind.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
In response to your question...I have no idea. I cannot remember my dreams. But obviously you had quite a moving experience, and I'm sure others have as well.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Tantalus

Dreams are another world --- an actual other world (or three, or ten) imo

Many people have had acurate precognitive dreams, i.e., they see future events clearly and accurately

That's powerful !

It also means (to me) that the future has already been written before we live it

What other explanation can there be ?

It only takes one person and one precognitive dream to prove this. And many, including myself, have done so -- by recounting the dream to others before the dream-events occur in 'real life'

And people do NOT like it, in my experience. They don't like knowing that all their agonising and deliberation counts for nothing. They don't like knowing they're puppets or actors on a stage, mouthing a pre-written script. Their ego baulks against that. And the concept of a predetermined future makes them highly uncomfortable, often angry. They begin muttering about 'free will'

So, in order to reassert themselves, they claim that 'whilst precognitive dreams are an indicator of what may happen in real life, we still have the power to alter the outcome'. By saying and believing that, they attempt to put the steering wheel back in their own hands

Well, my precognitive dreams were not open to negotiation or change: the foretold events happened in real life exactly as I'd seen them

T.C. Lethbridge touches on precognitive dreams and images etc. in his books and suggests that time, like so much in Nature, is spiral

In one of his books, 'Power of the Pendulum' I think, he provides a diagram to attempt to explain what he means. It shows 'Earth' being 'wound around' by spirals which have their source elsewhere

So, we could imagine an orange, spinning on its axis, and descending upon the orange are spirals of time (can't remember if the spiral descent is clockwise or anti)

Mark an 'X' somewhere on the surface of the orange and imagine it's a person

Time winds its way downwards and around the orange

Within 'time' are a multitude of facts, events, happenings, information, etc

Let's say one of the millions of things contained within the downswards, spiralling Time is a pink owl which flies through a window

So there is our friend 'X', situated on the Earth as Time and all the events it contains, spirals down and around

' X' wakes up with a dream still fresh in his mind. It is of a pink owl, flying through a window. The dream has an unusual 'feel' about it, perhaps. Whatever the case, when at school or at work, or at breakfast with his family or room-mates, X suddenly recounts the dream. And maybe someone says, 'Yeah, right. A pink owl came through the window, lol. What did you eat before going to bed to cause you to have such a crazy dream ? '. Maybe someone else present says, ' Oh, dreams are nuts. You should see some of the dreams I have, lol ! '

X goes on his busy day, gets caught in traffic, gets a ticket, a flat tyre and an unpleasant phone call from his bank manager. The dream goes right out of his head. And then, driving home from work, and while stopped at traffic lights, he turns to the left to see a pink bird ... an owl ... fly through the window of a house nearby

When he goes home and has relaxed a bit, he tells his family or room-mates, ' You won't believe this. Remember I told you I'd had a dream about a pink owl flying through a window ? Well ---- I saw it ! It happened this afternoon ! I'm not kidding ! It was pink, just like the dream ! And it was an owl, I could tell. I went through a bird-watching phase when I was a kid and I know an owl when I see one ! Can you believe it ? The crazy dream came true ! '

This might cause X to give more thought to dreams and other dimensions. It may not have interested him before, but it does now. Particularly when he hears his room-mates whispering about him and about how he 'invents things' and could even be crazy

Depending on X's character, this might make him decide to never again tell anyone about his dreams. And he might stick to that resolve throughout the rest of his life

On the other hand, X might not place a great deal of importance upon other people's estimation of him

Most of all, if he's anything like the rest of us, X might begin to search for explanations which could explain his 'dream that came true'. He might search in online fora, or books. Or he might initiate conversations with others, to see if they've also experienced precognitive dreams. And this might lead him to develop a strong interest in dreams generally

T.C. Lethbridge spent a lot of his time after retirement experimenting with pendulums, which are as basic a piece of equipment as it's possible to create. And he reached the conclusion that there are numerous 'worlds' in addition to ours --- but which also appear to be very similar

This led him to investigate precognition and one conclusion he reached was that Time travelled spirally (see the shape of shells, flowers and much in Nature -- very strong spiral influence throughout)

And he speculated that events occur in some other dimension --- and then spiral downwards and occur in our dimension

He theorised that some people here in our dimension don't need to wait for 'things to happen' in their 'real life'. Instead, they appear to receive a 'preview' --- an early viewing -- of what's to come. And these 'early viewings' may arrive as dreams or visions or images or 'hunches'. Some are shown during meditation

It's been suggested that we all are shown what's to come, particularly in dreams, but we 'forget' them. For this reason, many of those interested in the situation suggest writing down all dreams in a 'dream diary'.

It's also been shown that the dreams we do remember are those dreams we were having, or had just had, immediately prior to awakening. For this reason, in dream-laboratories, they awaken test subjects several times and ask the dreamer to recount their dreams, which are then noted. It's claimed by some that many of these dreams (which would ordinarily have been forgotten) are precognitive

[edit on 2-2-2010 by Dock9]

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 05:42 AM
link   
That's pretty amazing, to say anything. I'll have to look into that!

It's easy to see the power of dreams, if we could harness all it really says to us, we could really be better and wiser people

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Here's an odd one:

First we begin with fact, which centres on a house we lived in over 20 years ago, when the children were quite young

We have moved several times in the intervening years and have never stepped inside that house again

Then, about a year ago, I awakened after a dream

In the dream, I was with the children and a real-estate agent, looking through the house with the possibility of buying it. Other potential buyers and their children were there, also looking through the house

Everything was as I remembered it: same tiles in the bathroom, etc. The house was empty of furniture

At one point during the inspection, I entered a room which had just been freshly painted. It was a large room and (in the dream) I mused silently to myself about what a good size it was and what it could be used for

My son entered the room then. In the dream, he'd gone back to being a young kid. He looked exactly the way he'd looked in reality at that age

I remarked to him about how large the room was -- larger than all the other bedrooms. But I was puzzled. I couldn't remember the room being there. So I said to my son, 'What did we use this room for when we lived here before ? '

And he said, ' It's the crying room ' then I woke up

The dream stayed with me and I mentioned it to my family. We spent several minutes sharing memories of the years we'd lived in the house

This in turn led to someone saying, 'Wonder who lives there now ? Wonder if the walled-courtyard is still there ? ' ... that sort of thing, before we each returned to what we were doing

Later that evening, our son raised the subject again by saying, ' Where did you say that large room was located, in your dream ? '

So I replied it ran at right-angles to the eastern edge of the house and faced north

He replied, 'You won't believe this, but I've just been on Google, out of curiosity. I just felt like looking at our old house again after we'd talked about it this afternoon. And your dream was right --- someone has extended the house as you've described. Looks like a pretty big room

My son said that last time he'd looked at our old street on Google, a couple of months earlier, the extension had not been there

We all had a look on Google then, to see for ourselves

A month or so later, we had to return (interstate) in order to attend a funeral. We stayed there for a week and during that time, drove around our old neighbourhood to look at the children's schools and other places we remembered fondly

Inevitably, we ended up driving along our old street to see our old house again. Strange twist of fate, for it had a For Sale sign on the wall, although we didn't go inside. Some things are better left alone and that house, much as we had enjoyed many happy times there, was a very peculiar place and had been visited by several disturbing paranormal incidents while we lived there

The dream was remarkable (to me, at least) for another reason. These days, I have to look in photo albums to get a clear impression of how my children had looked all those years ago (more than 20 years ago). But in the dream, my son had looked, sounded and behaved exactly as he had been at that age --- it was just like stepping back in time.

I suspect I may have 'travelled' to the house while I was dreaming. Otherwise, how could I have known about the new extension or that the house would be up for sale again ?

Have no explanation for why the dream chose to make my son twenty years younger. And don't know the reason my son said the new extension was ' The crying room ' -- although there are numerous possibilities involving past, current or future owners of the house and sadness they may have had or will have in the future

new topics

top topics

join