It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The science of spirits

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
The ghost is thought to be the apparition of a deceased person, frequently similar in appearance to that person, and encountered in places he or she frequented, or in association with the person's former belongings. It also often refers to the souls, of spirits of those who can't find eternal rest and wonder the world in search of resolution.

walking through walls

Nobody has been able to prove ghosts don't exist, but science has proven that they can't act the way they do. For instance, their ability to walk through walls is a common talent of Hollywood ghosts. There's one problem here. Newton's laws of physics say that if a ghost can walk, it shouldn't be able to pass through walls, since a body at rest will remain so until it's subjected to an external force and for every action there is an equal but opposite reaction.

This is exactly the case with walking ghosts. If it walks, it must by applying a force to the ground it steps on and the ground must apply to the ghost an equal and opposite force, that pushes the body forward. This means that a ghost must be made of matter, and not energy.

Supposing it's made of energy could explain the fact that ghosts may pass through walls, but most certainly, they couldn't walk. And if a ghost could walk through walls, this means it could also pass through the floor. If a ghost were able to stay on the floor without passing through it, then it would have to apply a force to the floor, whose equal reaction should keep her on the floor. Pure energy couldn't do that, so either way, a ghost can do both things, stand or walk and pass through walls.

chill effect

Another ghost myth says that sharp drops in temperature are also associated with the arrival of a spiritual presence.

It has become almost a Hollywood clich� that the entrance of a ghostly presence is foreshadowed by a sudden and overwhelming chill. Again physics says it's not possible, or at least that ghosts can't be responsible for such a phenomenon.

In fact, when a warm object is placed next to a cold object, energy flows from the warm body to the cooler body, cooling the warm body. So if a ghost causes the air in a room to cool down, that means the original heat of the air must transfer onto a cooler body, which rapidly warms up.

It seems that when a ghost causes the temperature in a room to drop, the ghost itself warms up, so all ghosts should be hot. But if ghosts are made of pure energy, where did the warmth go? Energy doesn't just heat up, like matter.

Again, if ghosts were made of matter, they could absorb the thermal energy of the surrounding air, becoming hot themselves, but they won't be able to pass through walls, so they must enter and leave through a door or window.

A more likely explanation for the chilling effect would be a sudden draft, occurring in a room with a high window or a door with a gap, where the cool air from outside displaces warm air inside, creating a system of heat cycles and eddies. This creates a combination of air currents that may cause temperatures to drop up to 2�C, and the effect would be increased by the fact that humans are more sensitive to rapid changes in temperature even if the absolute change is small.

sounds

Another phenomenon associated with ghosts is the sound. Most ghosts in alleged sightings are not talking, but some of them are, even though this is not possible. Speech can be described as an act of producing voice through the use of the vocal folds and vocal apparatus to create a linguistic act designed to convey information.

Speech involves air, and air can't be manipulated into forming recognizable sounds by a ghost who's made of energy. So ghosts can't talk. Some of you would say that maybe the ghost is able to communicate through telepathy. That hasn't been proven so far, but supposing they posses this form of communication, why don't all them talk?

A possible explanation for the ghosts is in fact related to sounds. Frequencies lower than 20 hertz are called infrasound and are normally inaudible, but British scientists Richard Lord and Richard Wiseman have concluded that infrasound can cause humans to feel a "presence" in the room, or unexplained feelings of anxiety or dread.

clothes

The traditional perception of ghosts wearing clothing is considered illogical, given the supposed spiritual nature of ghosts, suggesting that the basis of what a ghost is said to look like and consist of is quite dependent on preconceptions made by society.

sight

The last, and probably the most important with ghosts is that we shouldn't be able to see them. Why? Because the sight is the ability to interpret visible light information reaching the eyes, after it bounces off a surface.

How can light bounce off an inexistent surface, when ghosts are made of energy?

Although the physical arguments present above do not deny the existence of ghosts, I hope that they made you at least ask yourself some questions, before believing everything Hollywood is shoving down our throat.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrJay1975
This means that a ghost must be made of matter, and not energy.

Supposing it's made of energy could explain the fact that ghosts may pass through walls, but most certainly, they couldn't walk. And if a ghost could walk through walls, this means it could also pass through the floor. If a ghost were able to stay on the floor without passing through it, then it would have to apply a force to the floor, whose equal reaction should keep her on the floor. Pure energy couldn't do that, so either way, a ghost can do both things, stand or walk and pass through walls.

Matter is energy. At a lower vibrational rate. Physics doesn't allow for the existence of ghosts, but quantum physics and the system of mechanics structured by the quantum paradox does indeed allow for spirits to exist. It's likely that ghosts don't walk on the floor, but appear as they want to by somehow tapping into the living consciousness of the observer, and causing them to be seen as they were, or how they want to be seen.

Quantum Physics allows for the conscious observer to exist, and create the reality that surrounds them. When the physical body transitions to a state where it no longer functions, the consciousnesses (or soul), is free to do a number of things.

It can pass on to another plane of existence, most likely a spiritual realm. This may be referred to as, Nirvana, Heaven, Hell, etc. The data stream that made up the live mind can create it's own afterlife as well.

It can remain near the Earth plane, existing in locations that held some pretty heavy emotions. Most emotion equated with negative feelings, like anger, addiction, jealousy, pain, etc. Areas where physical violence, or a negative event happened are usually hot-spots for spirits to linger. This is why historical places are usually referred to as "haunted." The possibilities of tortured consciousness' being tied to physical locations due to some event in their life, is a common theme amongst hauntings.

It can pass on to something that some spiritual circles refer to as the "astral plane." An area of pure thought, and all forms of consciousness.

So there's different options for a spirit. Most of the hauntings you hear about are related to suicides, or murders, etc.

I think you're dead on with the sound. EVP's, and specific microphones have been known to pick up interesting messages. They're still garbled, because the spirit is trying to communicate across of chasm of dimensions, but messages can be cleared up. It's pretty interesting stuff.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
What you have here are several reasons among many that ghosts - as they are understood in popular culture - are incompatible with the picture of the reality that the physical sciences - with mathematics as their basis - have painted. Ghosts don't fit into that picture. However, neither does consciousness, but we know that consciousness exists. The fact that we can't yet fit consciousness into the scientific picture of reality means that there may be other real phenomena which don't fit into that picture, and it suggests that phenomena related to conscousness(in this case something like a soul - the makings of a ghost) may not behave in accordance with scientific predictions of real phenomena. This does not mean that we should accept all paranormal phenomena, or that we should not approach paranormal observations scientifically. It is just that as long as we cannot explain consciousness, we don't have a complete picture, and some of what is incomplete may be what will explain ghosts and the like.

Edit - grammar

[edit on 2-2-2010 by OnceReturned]

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Great read, thanks

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
A form of energy , the spirit can be somewhat electric, having a vibration within certain energy fields. I think an Electric Universe and the quantum physics is going to open many doors for spiritual things bonding with science. I think the idea of a matrix is true, every sphere forms lines of energy to connect through space, energy is traveling through us, around us, and within us at all times.

I totally believe there is a science to spirits, or a law of a science that would pertain to spirits. I dont believe in empty space or something out of nothing. Energy has no beginning nor an end.

Many talk about beings of light...I think these are real stories for the most part, about spirit beings in a light body.

Ghost could be more like the static from a spirit, left over energy that still lingers till its light transforms or meets another energy field that would then make it take on a new form. Static electricity and ghosts....it just resonates for some reason with me.

[edit on 2-2-2010 by LeoVirgo]

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
That is a great evaluation of ghosts from a standard, scientific physical-based viewpoint.

The problem is that ghosts or spirits are something that totally transcends our physical world- something that we haven't a clue how to study, classify, or understand.

I myself have seen a ghost, and I was and still am convinced they are a 100% real phenomena.

I think that a lot of what people's ideas of ghosts come from, as the OP stated, is hollywood. This is so true! In my experience, and i'm guessing in the experience of most others, you are so gripped by fear and terror when you see a ghost that you instinctively either shut your eyes, run away, or both.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Just for the record I have seen numerous spirits and while I may not be able to quantify their existence I know without a doubt that they exist. The Copenhagen explanation-Nothing is real until you look at it.

Those paranormal shows crack me up, devices and such that measure the normal trying to study the paranormal. If you can't establish exactly what a ghost is then how do you know any of your equip can measure anything quantative about them or give you any insight? They are guessing and passing off pseudoscience as fact. It's a shame. The simple fact is until science can actually analyze a spirit and determine it's composition that the true natiure of the ghost will escape us. And it's existence will remain in the realm of unable to prove/disprove. It's like me saying that upon death all human spirits move to another universe to inhabit action figures. Unprovable/ But you can't disprove it either.

While a 1st hand experience is proof for the people it happens to, after that its a jump ball. Because there arre credibility issues with photos, videos etc.... So short of a quantative study then we'll all remain in the dark.

Similar with aliens. It's all speculation till ET lands at the mall or I get to disect one. Same thing with ghosts, the loch ness monster, bigfoot and God. Some people will never be happy until we get one of the above in a zoo. But to the people who see their dead mother, have God speak to them, ride naked on the back of nessie or get groped by sasquatch in the forest or even the token alien anal probe it's as real as it gets.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
When the wind blows, the leaves move. We never see the wind, but we see the leaves move, and we know that the wind exists. We also feel the wind, but only if it presses against us. This doesn't mean that when we see the leaves move, but we can't feel the wind, that something else is moving those leaves around. We've had enough experience with the invisible wind to understand the difference between seeing it, and see its impact - feeling it and understanding how to perceive its impact on that which exists around us.

Paranormal activity is similar. It is not perceivable, but the impact of it on ourselves and/or that which we can perceive is what we know about it. The challenge is to realize that when we experience a cold spot, or hear a whisper, or see a dark mass, what we're actually perceiving is the impact of a "spirit" on the environmental particulars that we are able to perceive. It isn't the spirit. If spirits are dynamic intellect, then this capacity to affect our environment is understood by the more progressive among them, and if they've figured out how to manipulate our physical environment - with some of them being better at it than others - then this goes a long way toward getting us into the ballpark concerning what they actually are (compositionally speaking) and what they represent, relative to ourselves and what we know to be reality.

Making any proclamations at this juncture is kind of presumptuous. Like the geniuses that declared the sun to be a chariot of fire riding across the sun 6,000 years ago. I'm sure that they thought they had all the answers too.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 02:46 AM
link   
The topic of physics and energy are very interesting topics, I have wondered about the same conclusions from stories from other people as well as stories online. Check out the thread below, a few ATS people gave some very insightful thoughts about the subject. Include a very juicy story of another ATS poster who has had her own experiences with ghost with no legs or feet.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 02:50 AM
link   
If ghosts exist, why should they act as we believe they should?

Ghosts are a mystery and the way they act is a mystery as well.

No-one on this earth knows enough to predict their behaviour.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 02:54 AM
link   
the clothes theory i look at it like this, when they do manifest themselves they usually are in the from of what they remember themselves as. Its not uncommon for sightings to have people in the clothes they loved in the life before, as the story in the thread with dock6 she mention the pants she had, was the only thing connecting her from the ghostly gentleman that attacked her in her living room.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Ghosts exist on a Higher Frequency in the same dimension we do. While we are bound to the earth by gravity- most ghosts that are seen by people to be standing on the ground is residual hauntings and the rest the ghost is actually purposefully standing on the ground to the observer. A majority of the times however, the spirit is not grounded to the ground.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by xynephadyn

why aren't there ever sightings of flying ghost spots by aircraft? How about being there one moment and then gone the next? Many ghost sightings gone with stories of them being there one moment then gone the next blink of an eye.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Interestingly enough, I've been thinking about ways to contain a spirit, scientificly. But without knowing the composition it's rather difficult. If you operate under the premise that they are matter then it's simple. If they are energy it's easy. If they are a blend of energy and matter it's easy. Quantam particles, lol. Good luck.

I'm interested in seeing if there would be a method of forcing a manifestation with a more science oriented approach and possibly containing it. Anyone have any theories? I'll put some thought into it.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   
There have been many legends of items in the world that can contain spirits or even demons. Frankly, I have no clue who these items work, but obviously there might be some truth to this legend. The Chinese have a legend where spirits can be trapped in a drinking gourd, where I have also come across legends and myths of something called a fear box. This was explain to me once through a forum user, I'm guessing this guy practice some pretty deep white magic.

"We make what's called a Fear Box. Thirteen river stones or glass beads are counted out. For each bead, a fear is named and placed into the box until 12 beads are inside. The 13th is kept as a reminder of conquered fears. Finally, the box is filled with salt. We're going to modify this to trap spirits along with fears.

The Grand Pentacle is a symbol said to have been devised by King Solomon. It draws all spirits, good, bad, and ugly, into its center by the power of God's Name. Place this seal written in red ink on the inside base of the box. On the lid are three symbols. On the far left side is the five pointed star, on the far right is the Star of David, and in between them is the Tetragrammaton. Finally, on the seam where the box lid meets the box, we write St. Michael's name. If the name is on the seam, the demon or spirits can only open the box by breaking the name, something it can't do.

After the box is painted and the spirits trapped and sealed with your fears, the entire box is buried in hallowed ground for the rest of time.

Leave the box open in your room. If the box is properly prepared, the spirits can't crawl out until it's full.
how will i know when to seal it?
At some point after you have named your 12 fears, there will be a day when it seems like a veil has been lifted. The sun will shine brighter and colors will seem more vibrant. When you smell the almost overwhelming scent of roses, you will know it's time to seal the box."

below is the symbol for the grand pentacle, also known as the devil's trap

i264.photobucket.com...

frankly....this is the real deal heavy mojo stuff, if you guys don't know king Solomon is, the bible legend says he was not only a biblical figure but he had the powers to trap and control demons, he was obviously a powerful praticationer of the occult arts.

I hope i answered some questions drjay, if this doesn't work, or frankly you dont believe in this mojo, there is always the ghost buster traps....who you going to call?

[edit on 3-2-2010 by Nemox42]

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Something that I find odd when people are claiming a possession of a spirit is that the spirit seems to fear the idea of not having a host, a place to dwell. I have several times seen a situation through videos or by reading material about a person with spirits that has possessed them and the spirits say they have no where to go...some ever ask....'where will I go'....isnt this odd? Its like if they are in a host, they dont realize how to respect the body they dwell in...but as soon as they are asked to leave...its childlike reaction becomes fearful and worried.

Im not saying possessions are true, I do not know, but I have read about these experiences from other people.

This is where the science of it all begins to blur for me. Are the spirits clueless, just wondering aimlessly having no where to go? Or do they just not know where to go, have they somewhere took a wrong step, did they pass the opportunity to be released from this sphere, so they are unknowingly attached.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Interesting thing about ghosts/demons/spirits etc. is that they kinda "need" something from our dimension/vibration level to show signs of themselves here. Electricity mainly, also they sometimes seem to drain energy from people, but I can't say for a fact of course because I don't simply know.

Electrical malfunctions are pretty common in "haunted" places. I think negative feelings and actions can attract demons, who also later impersonate dead people to get people into spiritualism and other practises ( that's their job according to the bible ). This also explains why there is heavy activity in places with satanistic rituals, violent deaths and what not.
I think spiritual realm can be explained with science. It's extremely difficult and controversial subject to research further tho.

new topics

top topics

join