It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spray-on liquid glass is about to revolutionize almost everything

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
From some of these posts, it sounds like most of these people have sex on the mind way too much with spray on glass condoms. Would be horrible if it were to shatter.

I. Well, I have no room for drama in my life other than what I aim so hard to accomplish.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I would want this stuff over my computer parts cause they get dirty. Mabe it will help some functions in moving parts of the computer too.

One concern would have to rest with the process of manufacturing rather than its applications.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
You could say I know a thing or two about fluid dynamics, chemical engineering, and coating application. So when I say that this material is FAR from revolutionary, I mean it.

Neat, yes, but there is stuff in the industry that is far more advanced than this stuff that I have worked with. All of them that I have been involved with have to do with aerospace, but they sure were really neat.

I realize it takes a while for stuff to fiddle it's way down the mountain so to speak.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by IgnoreTheFacts
You could say I know a thing or two about fluid dynamics, chemical engineering, and coating application. So when I say that this material is FAR from revolutionary, I mean it.

Neat, yes, but there is stuff in the industry that is far more advanced than this stuff that I have worked with. All of them that I have been involved with have to do with aerospace, but they sure were really neat.

I realize it takes a while for stuff to fiddle it's way down the mountain so to speak.

Could you provide a list of products similar, or superior to this?

And are civilians able to procure them?

Thanks!

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by MysterE

The liquid glass spray (technically termed “SiO2 ultra-thin layering”) consists of almost pure silicon dioxide (silica, the normal compound in glass) extracted from quartz sand. Water or ethanol is added, depending on the type of surface to be coated. There are no additives, and the nano-scale glass coating bonds to the surface because of the quantum forces involved. According to the manufacturers, liquid glass has a long-lasting antibacterial effect because microbes landing on the surface cannot divide or replicate easily.

Wow! this sounds amazing, even revolutionary. Image all of the different applications for storage and preservation. The only thing that has me worried is that it is "almost pure silicon dioxide (silica, the normal compound in glass)". There is a lung disease called Silicosis which

Silicosis is a disabling, nonreversible and sometimes fatal lung disease caused by overexposure to respirable crystalline silica. Silica exposure remains a serious threat to nearly two million US workers. The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) reports that each year more than 250 die from silicosis and hundreds more are disabled. There is no cure for the disease.

I'm not sure that this product will cause Silicosis , and it would be a shame if such an invention was toxic.

-E-

www.physorg.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 2-2-2010 by MysterE]

I'm sure you'd wear a mask to apply it, or it would be some sort of rub on applicator like with a brush.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I used to work in fiber optics R&D and we had coatings that we could put on the optical fiber (glass) that allowed strands to be wrapped in circles less than a foot in diamter without breaking.

Originally posted by DJM8507

Originally posted by IgnoreTheFacts

Could you provide a list of products similar, or superior to this?

And are civilians able to procure them?

Thanks!

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Makes me wonder when Monsantos is gonna make everyone buy seeds with only spray glass coatings "...among other benefits... your arteries wont clogg: Spray seniors twice a week to improve circulation and vision."

Maybe on the plus side just a nice thin layer in my garage and i could easily put that oil right back where it goes

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

You never know mate, you never know.

I think in this weird old universe of ours, nothing is impossible in the right circumstances.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Adamus

You and all the others that have mentioned potential health problems from this are right to think about such things, but i think as has been said, the danger with asbestos and such is the size and shape of the particle.

Asbestos particles have a (relatively) large size and a sharp, needle like shape.

It's the large size and the barb like shape that causes this stuff to lodge in and damage lung tissue.

This new stuff has a much smaller particle size (nm sized) and unless they are barbed or needle like in shape (probably tiny sheres), they probably won't embed into the linings of the lungs, but rather into the mucous membranes to be removed by normal body functions.

More information is needed on the particle size and shape though to know for sure one way or the other.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

I see your point about the climbing ropes, but there's the small problem of it being very slippery. Not the best for climbing ropes i wouldn't have thought.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Can this have anything to do with them putting silicon in the cheese? Is this just another attempt to poison America? If you don't know we are being massively poisoned already. Do they have a detox program for this, I guess not if silicosis does not have a cure. Detox relies on having healthy organs, liver, kidneys, etc. It is really better not to ingest the poisons in the first place. The Chemtrails give us aluminum and barium, now we're getting silicon in our systems. Don't those elites tring to poison us know that their supply of healthy organs to harvest will be diminished

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by IgnoreTheFacts

I think the revolutionary aspect of this product may be that it will be readily available to the average consumer.

Very soon almost every product that you purchase will be protected with some form of easy -to -clean coating. It just so happens that we offer something that everyone finds fascinating . The concept of spray -on glass is just mind -boggling”. This technology is now available for domestic use in Germany. Full scale retail availability in the UK will commence in early 2010

-E-

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by spikey

i would assume that it does not turn surffaces coated into zero friction - as its so thin - it would coat individual fibres [ which are already quite low friction ] thus the ability for ascenders and descenders to grip the rope - and its knotability - should not change

it would need testing on a disposable sample - before being applied to a 100m rope

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by stoneysauce

Talking about possible health implications......
Wonder if it could cause a mass outbreak of Morgellans Disease.
Isn't that caused by nano-fibres and/or particles?

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterE
I'm not sure that this product will cause Silicosis , and it would be a shame if such an invention was toxic.

I hope this next part is not a double post, But...

I worked in a Glass Fabrication shop for five years custom cutting and dry sanding/polishing mirror edges (with the use of respirators). Silicosis derives from breathing in silicone based dust particles (from glass and fiberglass). Once you inhale the particles they can't be naturally expelled like normal dust and particles. This buildup can cause Silicosis.

In anycase I figure the only dangerous aspects of the product could be "the application process" if it is aerosoled or airated or "the breakdown of the product" which could happen 5 to 30 years from now, this breakdown could create silicone based dust.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

this will not cause silicosis - that is an unbound silica fiber found in fiberglass / sandblasting that results in lung fibrosis.

i have this coating on my shiny new bmw - 'simoniz glass coat'.

cool find. may nanotech save our asses at the last hour - nano, nano!

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
this is a great new invention def. revolutionary, hopefully they dont find away to weaponize it cuz thats one more thing we def. dont need, but this could turn out great for us, especially if its true on the application of plants and helping them as long as it causes no harm HURRAY for the scientists this time

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join