It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spray-on liquid glass is about to revolutionize almost everything

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

Originally posted by MysterE

The only thing that has me worried is that it is "almost pure silicon dioxide (silica, the normal compound in glass)". There is a lung disease called Silicosis which

Silicosis is a disabling, nonreversible and sometimes fatal lung disease caused by overexposure to respirable crystalline silica. Silica exposure remains a serious threat to nearly two million US workers. The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) reports that each year more than 250 die from silicosis and hundreds more are disabled. There is no cure for the disease.

I'm not sure that this product will cause Silicosis , and it would be a shame if such an invention was toxic.

Its tiny enough to become embedded under your skin; not only will this cause silicosis, but it will also cause cancer for the same reason that silicone implants cause cancer, no matter what the FDA may have recently reported.

The FDA is following a new protocol, from of the council on foreign relations (rockefellers) new world government, called 'codex alimentarius', which is essentially a nazi style eugenics agenda . This is an example of a 'soft kill', as it were.

Moreover, and in contradiction to assurances of safty, the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) has classified crystalline silicates, including diatomaceous earth (kind of similar to this nano silica spray, but not nearly as tiny), as a carcinogen.

[edit on 3-2-2010 by stoneysauce]

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Don't mess with Mother Nature! This could be
MONSATEN on steroids or GODS gift to MAN!

Now, where did this technology come from and
how long has it been around?

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Is there anything Silicon Can't Do?

I love Silicon. It does everything from making my Dash look shiny on my car and now to making Glass. Amazing..

It makes it hard to paint cars with too. Nothing sticks to Silicon ut, Silicon can stick to everyhing.

I just Lurv Silicon... lol

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Nanotechnology will change life as we know it on many levels.

Interesting article.
I'm sure I could use this on a project I'm working on.

Nanomedicine on the other hand could be quite dangerous if in the wrong hands. How would you know who controls this technology? Many investment funds hide their individual shareholdershop in trusts and holding companies which conceal who the owners are. This should be of grave concern. The SEC and other regulatory agencies turn a blind eye? I believe they are on the 'same' team.....as the Federal govt. and it's tenticles of treason.

I'm very concerned about what the WHO plans to Do with this technology. Google on if you must. Google: WHO /nanotechnology for more.
The WHO is also responsible for the creation of the most lethal plan to do date for humanity; the Codex Alimentarious. Everyone must do what they can to defeat this legislation designed to depopulate a large portion of the world's population.

[edit on 2-2-2010 by Perseus Apex]

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Aerosolised sio2 sounds like a very bad idea. If it becomes a household product in a handy spray can, then many people are going to end up inhaling this stuff. Not recommended at all. Sio2 is an exceptionally non-toxic molecule as long as you don't get it in your lungs.

(Also a bit dangerous if turned to dust through impact. Don't hit it with a hammer and snort the dust.)

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheComte

Originally posted by pangaea
says in the source that the product is non-toxic so i can't see why it would be.

Yeah, because companies always tell the truth regarding their products' toxicity. I don't think there has ever been a case of a company saying their product was non-toxic when it really was.

Please, anyone, feel free to correct me, if I'm wrong.

Silicosis and asbestosis are caused by the size and shapes of the molecules, not the chemical composition.

Asbestos fibers are like needles much to large to be captured by macrophages. They are not easily transported by cillia in the river of mucous. Instead they are so long that they pierce lung tissue forming scare tissue which reduce the expansivity of the lungs eventually sufocating the victims.

Those needles are thousands of times larger than the nano size liquid glass. Our lungs would trap those particles and transport them out through the nose or anus.

The asbestos companies spent years telling their workers asbestos was safe even after they had incontrovertible evidence.

Silica containing compounds such as sand or mortar now carry warnings.

The new compounds are safe unless the unknown nana properties pose an unknown threat. I'd be willing to chance it.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit
reply to post by MysterE

I believe that the illness attributed to silica only comes into effect when particulates of the substance are inhaled. In this it is similar to asbestos which can cause serious trouble when the fibers end up in the lungs.
If the coating is bonded to itself solidly enough , then there shouldnt be a problem. Only problem comes when the substance is in dust or as I said particulate form and suspended in the air you are breathing .

Since this is a spray it will be in a breathable form, don't ya think? Also, if it coats anything and you do breath some in, what's it gonna do in there...stick anywhere it touches?

While I agree there are some great possibilities with this, there are drawbacks that warrant more research.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Just hearing about inventions like this makes me excited. The practical applications are limitless! I wonder though if it is possible to create a water/air tight seal around an object. This is the next step towards an ablative material capable of protecting a host in extreme conditions.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   
It's not that long that I envisioned building a computer into a fishtank with thin encasing of glass like substance to keep it insulated. This would have to be put on with spraying. Apparently someone else had similar ideas

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

I winder how log they bin working on it.

also on the liter side this will bing now meaning to gassing someting lol.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Chevalerous

I can imagine them coating everything with it - people always get overly excited about anything as long as it is new! Instead of testing like they should they demand immediate benefits and people question why is this miracle being held back.

Reminds me of the Spongebob episode where everything in the future is coated in chrome!

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
reply to post by spikey

Right. If it does work, I'm starting up a business ``special treatment`` for cars... and since people are so ignorant, they will not know about this product... so I could make tons of money... when they could do it themselves...

That is a brilliant idea! A wax free coating on cars that lasts for years! You could indeed make a lot of money on that use of this product.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Wow! S&F for sure sir! Great find! There are so many applications for this new technology it blows my mind! I can think of tens of things I could use it for around the house even without thinking very hard about it! The usefulness of this product will be amazing! I can hardly wait to see bottles available at stores here state side! Amazing!

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

Good post, S&F. This may just revolutionize a lot of things, the applications are endless. I wonder how much it's going to cost; probably a lot at first I would guess.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 01:01 AM
link   
My apologies if this has already been mentioned - but there may be a health issue over the cutting of coated boards with power tools. If tiny splinters or fibres of this material are released into the air as particles of dust, then they could well constitute a hazard. It may be that precautions required for the safe handling of other materials such as asbestos or fibreglass would be necessary.

Admittedly, it is only certain types of asbestos that are the real killer, as their tiny filaments have barbed hooks that cling to the internal lining of the lungs. This nanomaterial may well fall into the glass fibre category. Either way, tests should be carried out to enable safe use and avoid future litigation. Hopefully, this particular point is being considered by the developers.

Nevertheless, I agree that this sounds like a wonderful new material with countless potential applications.

[edit on 3-2-2010 by Adamus]

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   
this may be non toxic ,yeah like not poisonous,but this breaks down and has to be reapplied each year,so thats nano particles floating around your home. wouldn't this be funny? they know everyone likes shiny,and brainwashed about cleaners,so they come up with liquid glass,it now may take a bit longer,but hey,now they can get them in their homes,car or wherever its sprayed,silicosis, come and get it,its shiny.

[edit on 3-2-2010 by pauldamo]

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 02:32 AM
link   
It looks very promising, on the site it states that it is available domestically in Germany, however when I try to search for it I just het a few Chinese companies suppling. Has anybody found a domestic supplier or even a marketed available product? I would really lie to try this on some of the furniture I make.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Wow! this sounds amazing, even revolutionary. Image all of the different applications for storage and preservation. The only thing that has me worried is that it is "almost pure silicon dioxide (silica, the normal compound in glass)". There is a lung disease called Silicosis which

Silicosis is a disabling, nonreversible and sometimes fatal lung disease caused by overexposure to respirable crystalline silica. Silica exposure remains a serious threat to nearly two million US workers. The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) reports that each year more than 250 die from silicosis and hundreds more are disabled. There is no cure for the disease.

I'm not sure that this product will cause Silicosis , and it would be a shame if such an invention was toxic.

Interesting. The very first thing that sprang to mind is "I bet it causes silicosis".

Hehe. At least you covered that base. It probably will.

NIOSH, like most federal oversight agencies is useless, and OSHA is a joke (ask me about the man who became a human fireball at a job site I was at 1 hour after an OSHA inspection story. Insert hyphens at will).

They'll need a 'food safe' silicone, like they use in cheeses. Even when I line anything relating to my cigarettes/tobacco storage I use food-grade silicone for that reason. I'm willing to bet the stuff here isn't ready for that yet.

Considering it took how many decades for doctors to learn asbestos was causing problems, I also wouldn't bank on using this stuff around my person for at least 20 years. At least. I'm reminded of that now-classic magazine add for Asbestos and the World Trade Center towers saying how asbestos keeps it safe. hah! (I'm still waiting to see who ends up with mesothelioma, apparently the odds they tell us are 1:100,000 post 9/11 within a 3 mile radius, which pretty much covers the entire borough of Manhattan, and thus myself who was 14 blocks north in orange smoke).

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 02:38 AM
link   
im only trying 2 get siober while stiil drinking...yur post was at the top. wait i cant remember the topic mater..oo...um..plastic

i'll get a 240 gal fish tank nextime..ACRYLIC. stronger, more luminous, lighter, etc i suppose...tell me whgy i shouldn't.
some folks here at ats might b unnecessarily AFRAID of advancements?

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by JayinAR

In places that are prone to heavy snow, you could pretreat the roads with it and the snow would just slide off the roads. Same with sidewalks.

Yeah, but so would the cars!

Another great application would be to coat kitchen and bathroom surfaces with it. Easy to clean, just wipe down with a damp cloth. You could maybe even use it on cooking pans. I bet this stuff makes teflon look like sand paper!

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join