It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spray-on liquid glass is about to revolutionize almost everything

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
This stuff could put the little graffiti monsters out of business. Whats the point if you can just wipe off the paint. I wonder if you could actually mix the stuff with paint and get a high gloss non fading paint job. The ways to use this stuff could be mind blowing.
Just think, never have to scrub a toilet again.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by shagreen heart
ok so let's get the big question out of the way

CAN you use this as a condom?

Paraphrasing an old Southern expression I once heard:

I wouldn't even spray that on your ...

Seriously,

I love threads like this!

[edit on 2/2/2010 by centurion1211]

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheComte

Originally posted by pangaea
says in the source that the product is non-toxic so i can't see why it would be.

Yeah, because companies always tell the truth regarding their products' toxicity. I don't think there has ever been a case of a company saying their product was non-toxic when it really was.

Please, anyone, feel free to correct me, if I'm wrong.

Aspartame, Citric Acid, MSG.

Do the research. They are in your food everyday and they are hazzardaous to your health. 2 tablespoons of MSG will Kill a Dog!

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Sounds like the next asbestos. Keep in mind, if the corporations estimate that they can sell it and still make profit after paying off all the wrongful death liabilities, then they'll do it.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by spikey

I doubt it too but could you say 'impossible to achieve'?

Imagine you are walking down the street and someone a hundred yards away pulls a gun.... you pull your spray and press... he fires.... the bullet hits the sheet of glass and falls to the ground....

But yeh like you say can be used for healing wounds until paramedics arrive..... Or what the other guy said about spray on kevlar....

[edit on 2-2-2010 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist]

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

WOW! Very exciting! The first thing that came to mind was a potential application for flexible, yet very strong and efficient solar panels. Silicon crystalline structure, coated by a thin, flexible SiO2 coating?? Wonderful!!!

reply to post by TrueBrit

I believe that the illness attributed to silica only comes into effect when particulates of the substance are inhaled. In this it is similar to asbestos which can cause serious trouble when the fibers end up in the lungs

Right on the money, TrueBrit, and good analogy... asbestosis is caused by inhaling tiny asbestos fibers -- the fibers tend to split lengthwise, making a sort of fishhook that causes them to be imbedded in the alveoli of the lungs, which causes scar tissue. Enough scar tissue and that section of lung becomes unable to perform an oxygen exchange. Similar thing for Silicosis and fiberglass particles, except they tend to break across the fiber and don't lodge as easily.

I would guess that this product would be fairly hazardous while spraying, while in its liquid state. The OP story talked about 100 nm, which I believe is about the thickness of an average human hair. I wonder if it could then be easily abraided into respirable particles after drying. Of course, I suppose a process could be used to overlay several layers as each layer tacked out, finishing with, say, a 3 mil layer.

Very interesting and exciting. I wonder if this might simplify the semiconductor process as well.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

I don't think a coating this thin would stop even a sharply thrust matchstick. Who knows where its evolution will lead though. If it exists in liquid form, why not a whole car cast of the stuff or as a rigid, translucent building material? coolness.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
This stuff would be great on counter tops. Hospitals could benefit greatly with this stuff coating floors,walls, and other surfaces. Infection rates might even go down.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

First thing that came to mind..... sorry, maybe got a little sci-fi

There's another post going on about climbing up walls.... possible Spiderman connection going on here....

[edit on 2-2-2010 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist]

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   
For some reason the first thing that came to my mind was spraying over golf green cups.

Just a thin little layer over the cup. I wonder if it would work better than the cut mouse trap in the cup gag?

Or someone could spray it over a car door lock, or a side window of a car, the person gets into their car on a hot summer day, rolls down the window, but the window wont roll down.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by MysterE

Spray-on liquid glass is about to revolutionize almost everything

www.physorg.com

Spray-on liquid glass is transparent, non-toxic, and can protect virtually any surface against almost any damage from hazards such as water, UV radiation, dirt, heat, and bacterial infections. The coating is also flexible and breathable, which makes it suitable for use on an enormous array of products.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4f29b7004eb4.jpg[/atsimg]

Here is the inventors website: Nanopool

-E-

[edit on 2-2-2010 by MysterE]

Well, it most certainly wont protect us when the O-zone is completely stripped away, thats for sure

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Does indeed sound like an exciting product with a multitude of purposes. Wonder if possiable to add solar cell technolgy? Spray it on everything and assorb the suns energy. Coat cars and produce some extra battery juice for the electric variety.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
This will put a end to condoms, now all you need to do is vitrify your genitals and you're ready to rock

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
What is their stock symbol?
Nanopool GmbH is German I can't find it.

gmbh? lol

[edit on 2-2-2010 by tooo many pills]

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I would like to know if this would have any impact on insects and pollinating plants, could it prevent spawning plants from seeding or being fertilized by bee's? could it be taken back to hives for instance, many bee's exploring in the same area would mean huge amounts being taken to the hive.

Insects picking it up on their feet? perhaps it would act like a condom like some of you are saying, my guess would be if you did, you may find all your desires shattered

Anyhow I'm sure you get the gist of what I am asking, some probably wouldn't really worry about the insects, but when you think, practically all our food uses some kind of crop, which rely on insects to grow and seed, if it's sprayed all over the world as the ultimate tool, then any impact could be a worldwide effect with serious consensuses, I agree this sounds amazing and I want some of this product.

But we need to do it carefully and with certainty that we are not paying for it with our livelihoods and food supply, toxicity does not just effect humans.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Will this also be able to be used to protect iPhone's lmao?

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
This stuff sounds fantastic! I live on a boat. I'm gonna coat EVERYTHING with it! When and where can I get some?

But I have to agree, putting it on food sounds like a bad idea...

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
would prob ably be great for preserving art.

hope this pans out.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
This is freakin' awsome man

Thanks for the report!

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
OK, all I've read about is using it as a condom. Besides that, can u put it on your skin??

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join