It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spray-on liquid glass is about to revolutionize almost everything

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Hmmm....

Nice idea. There'll surely be a market for it.

Now..where's my paint sprayer...

link   
Found that...

Toxicity and penetration of TiO2 nanoparticles in hairless mice and porcine skin after subchronic dermal exposure.

..Also put that on roofs... outside walls..

Oops... sorry about that, the TiO2 is not the same thing as SiO2...

[edit on 2-2-2010 by Vitchilo]

link   
If true, this will be great for all Arizona home owners...as long as it has the same properties as glass once dried. See, we have things here called Bark Scorpions, and they cannot climb glass. Spraying this on objects and base boards will stop the little buggers from climbing walls and into bed with you!!!! YIKES!

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by civilchallenger

HEY!

I've just remembered something similar to what you're saying here!

Did you or anyone else reading this, used to read a 'comic' / magazine called 2000AD?

There was a Judge Dredd storyline, (now, i'm going back about 20 -25 years, so think hard) that had the miracle, spray on glasslike compound called 'Boing' (as in boing-boing, bouncy ball).

In the story, enthusiasts would hold a can of boing, and spray it all over themselves. It would completely encase the user in a large sphere of 'Boingy glass', and then they would hurl themselves off of bridges and skyscrapers, and bounce back up again unharmed.

A bit like those giant plastic spheres people roll down hills inside.

Maybe this is similar?!

BOING!

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Doubt it, but i've just thought of a really good use for this stuff..

Instant sterile, spray on field dressing!

Great for plugging a wound, until treatment arrives.

Should save a lot of lives and limbs.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by spikey

Thats what they said about superglue !

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
Amazing! I love nanotechnology, it will revolutionize the world.

From the article:

"But it does not stop there - the coatings are now also recognised as being suitable for agricultural and in-vivo application. Vines coated with SiO2 don’t suffer from mildew, and coated seeds grow more rapidly without the need for anti-fungal chemicals. This will result in farmers in enjoying massively increased yields .

---

For the sake of our globe, I hope this does revolutionize agriculture.

You know, I too like the developments in the nanotech field and find nanotechnology to be very interesting.

But I certainly don't want them to rush out and start spraying our food in the world until we know that it's 110% safe for the environment - and safe for us to eat such food.

I mean, I really don't trust Monsanto and similar corporations enough about the GMO and food production as it is now - and soon these corporation will have access to nanotech spray coating which they probably will start using directly out there, without any longer time studies of the long term effects and hazards?

Nanotech for food? well it sounds great in theory! but then again, maybe not?

What! paranoid? - who? me?

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheComte

Originally posted by pangaea
says in the source that the product is non-toxic so i can't see why it would be.

Yeah, because companies always tell the truth regarding their products' toxicity. I don't think there has ever been a case of a company saying their product was non-toxic when it really was.

Please, anyone, feel free to correct me, if I'm wrong.

I've eaten pleny of nontoxic glue with no problems. I've also had my share of nontoxic green marker tea.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
It sounds amazing and only $8 a bottle.

The only part that sent a warning signal up my spine was this part....

The liquid glass coating is breathable, which means it can be used on plants and seeds. Trials in vineyards have found spraying vines increases their resistance to fungal diseases, while other tests have shown sprayed seeds germinate and grow faster than untreated seeds, and coated wood is not attacked by termites. Other vineyard applications include coating corks with liquid glass to prevent “corking” and contamination of wine.

I totally disagree with this being in the food chain, especially when I'm sure not a great deal of testing has been done to find if it is dangerous if ingested and what the long term effects and risks are.

[edit on 2-2-2010 by Flighty]

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Flighty

No kidding, please leave the liquid glass off my food!

-E-

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
ok so let's get the big question out of the way

CAN you use this as a condom?

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

i hope this is viable! the mind boggles, no more welding come mot time

this looks like a fantastic product, lets hope there isnt a catch like the possible toxicity many have posted about...
star and flag, thanks for the post MysterE!

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Remember asbestos is also an inert natural mineral. It cleaves into smaller and smaller filaments that can become airborne and inhaled.

Inhaled filaments can damage or irritate lung cells which become cancerous.

How will sprayed glass shatter? Ever play with volcanic glass rocks? You get bloody hands covered with tiny slivers of glass.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by shagreen heart

Wow, spray on condoms that biodegrade or wear off?

Could a criminal spray this on their fingertips to prevent capture in commission of a crime?

[edit on 2-2-2010 by hotbakedtater]

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheComte

Originally posted by pangaea
says in the source that the product is non-toxic so i can't see why it would be.

Yeah, because companies always tell the truth regarding their products' toxicity. I don't think there has ever been a case of a company saying their product was non-toxic when it really was.

Please, anyone, feel free to correct me, if I'm wrong.

I guess that depends on how liberally you want to apply the word "toxic"

I know a vegan that tells me milk is toxic

but of course, any reasonable human being knows that this is stupid

TOXIC, used in a common sense manner, means anything that will kill you in a very short time after ingesting/inhaling, etc.

Saying something is toxic because you THINK it MIGHT kill you over 50 years time is just a stretch, and in a scientific manner, a flat out lie.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by TheComte

You can't lie about the product, or every organization pro-consumer is going to fall on you.

What companies usually do, is to hide information. For example, cigarettes. They didn't say "they are not toxic". They avoided the subject, and when confronted, they said it was inconclusive, from all sorts of "weird" data.

But they never said "it isn't toxic".

If they kept that out, it would be a matter for concern. But since they said it wasn't, I think it's okay.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Wow, this is cool.
First application that came to mind is treating all 2X4s with it. Or all building materials in general.

Your house would never develop mold problems.
Termites couldn't harm your house either.
Maintenance in general would be drastically reduced.

Next application that comes to mind is spraying my car with it.
All I would need is to rinse it off. A garden hose would do just fine and you wash your car in ... What? ... A minute?

But the applications would reach literally every aspect of our lives.
Especially in the medical field.

As far as it being toxic to breathe, I think you would need to be careful when applying it, but once it bonded, it would be quite safe.
Even if injested, I think it would be passed as number deuce and you would never notice it.

But that is just me guessing, obviously. Hopefully thorough research is done on this aspect of it.

In places that are prone to heavy snow, you could pretreat the roads with it and the snow would just slide off the roads. Same with sidewalks.

They say it is breathable. I wonder *how* breathable it is. Could it spray it on my person and go without a proper shower for a month?

Edit to add - I've always hated splinters.

[edit on 2-2-2010 by JayinAR]

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

You realize that if you spray the roads and pavements, not only the snow, but also the cars would slide......

....right? lol

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

Excellent information. Thank you. Do you know if it's available in the states yet?

I have historic era commercial buildings in northern Arizona that I manage and this product is starting to sound like it would be a lifesaver [ not to mention building saver ] for me and the town.

Peace

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
If everything becomes coated with glass, will we be living in a non-toxic made greenhouse?
Will spy satellites see anything but glare during daylight?
Will Windex become the next regulated commodity?
Will property values rise in desert areas?
What chemical would you need to use to remove a coating of spray-on glass?
Would you use spray-on glass on glass?
Glass is one of the best insulators...would there be electrical malfunctions from too much glass...not able find ground?
If there was a way to safely coat foodstuffs....what would the shelf-life of a Twinkie be extended to?
Where would all the germs go? Would new germs evolve?
Butter flavored cooking glass anyone?
Bye-bye plastics?

Just some not-so critical questions that need answering xD

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join