It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Self, body, and mind: 3 states of reality

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   
"Hear, O Children, of immortal bliss
You were born to be united with the Lord.
Follow the path of the illuminated sages,
And you will be United with the Lord of Love."

-Upanishad

Self, body, and Mind.

the Self is eternal, the body is perpetual, and the mind experiences these two states simultaneously. The mind is the "you" in the present while the Self is the true self which is eternal.

The body is seen with the eyes
the Self is what makes the eye see.
The mind is what realizes the difference between Self and body.

The body is physical,
The Self is immaterial,
and the mind is both, connected to body and soul.

The body is mortal
The Self is immortal
and the mind is trapped between this "is" and "is not."

The body is healthy when it seeks only to satisfy its needs, not its wants.
The Self is satisfied always
and the mind is satisfied when it sees the light of the Self.

The mind is trapped between body and Soul. The body can be manipulated, felt, and used. Whereas the Self can only be recognized and realized. When the mind focuses on the Self in meditation, the mind can tap into higher conscious states where the body can experience the joys of the self.

I see meditation as a way of refocusing yourself, a type of "degauss" like on old computer screens. If you don't know what degauss was, it appeared on IBM's and the like, and when you press the button, the screen turns multiple colors and clears the static. So I see meditation in a similar way, a type of degauss for the mind, to clear it and make it whole again. The secret is to reset the mind towards its initial state, which is the Self. It is impossible for something material to ever reach the immaterial through physical means, or something imperfect to ever become perfect. So, if enlightenment is possible, it can only be done by realizing that that is what you already are.

Om
Shanti Shanti Shanti

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
just a reaction to your signature, evil is not a thing but it is the abstractions from conscious existance to evil life meaning life ways by lies, and since god is the creator to everything existance originally then god as a creator mean lies too, and that what generate all that evil powerful life that become obviously above all rights livings as existing too

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by ancient_wisdom

Very well said!! I like the visualization of the mind being trapped between 'the self' and 'the body.' But I have a question as well:

Regarding the mind being trapped between the self and the body.

Is the body in the mind or the mind in the body? IMO You are neither mind or body. The mind can be perceived by the perceiver. That which is perceived cannot be the perceiver. That is, they both appear (mind & body) because you are there to appear to. To whom do these thoughts of the mind/body appear? They appear to your true self which is pure being and awareness.

When I awake from sleep the first thought or primal thought is "I." That, "Iam" and that "I exist." This first thought, to me 'is the mind' and is an impostor as it thinks it "IS" the perceiver and it is not. It then thinks "This Is My Body." And, it is not. As when I was dreaming I had another body. So... my mind can be mistaken. The mind is discontinuous. Again and again it blanks out, like in sleep or distraction. The mind rises and sets with each thought. There must be something continuous to register discontinuity. As there must be something that does not change in order to register change. That which is continuous is the witness, the perceiver - the atma or true self.

I'm also having trouble with the interpolation of the two words, mind and soul which to me causes some confusion.

apologize for the edits - posting from work

[edit on 2-2-2010 by Emptiness Dancing]

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
right now, you are the mind trapped between body and Eternal Soul. But what you truly are, in reality, is Reality. Your soul is reality, but it appears as if you are only a body in this present moment. Your consciousness which is aware of this phenomenon is your mind. When your mind realizes your true self, you enter into a state of meditative bliss.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by imans

I hope you were not implying that I thought evil was a thing. After all, I did call it nothing meaning no thing.

It is the one "thing" which does not exist, meaning it is nothing.

[edit on 2-2-2010 by ancient_wisdom]

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
you imply that evil dont exist, i prooved that evil exist according to existance definition truth, existing thing is its abstract reality moves, when evil is the abstraction of negative moves ends to positive reality living, it prooves that evil do exist and are even the essence of life existance realisations, hierarchies in existance defining life ones by killing others ones proove it as an absolute fact of existance reality essence wholeness life

and nothing meaning what dont exist cannot be the justification of unexistance fact when unexistance is what justify nothing as its abstraction representation in word

new topics

top topics

join