It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unexplained Explosion on the Sun (breaking news)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
That's Big.

Surely not due to any impact? The missile would have to have been huge!

Interesting to know what caused it.

S&F

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by assbarman

LOL! oh I needed that laugh. If only it were the borg!

Interesting read chad and good info, always was interested in CME's and the like. Read too many "sun cooking us" theories I suppose.

S&F

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

Hey, did you notice that blip at 15:27 on 2005/02/23 in the Soho C3 2005 full year video that was posted? I was able to pause it close to when it happened and take a screenshot... Weird no?? I dont know how to post the screenshot, so i uploaded it to a flickr account.. hopefully it will show here when i attach the link...

also here if picture didnt post correctly:
www.flickr.com...@N08/4325100319/

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost
Are there beings stupid enough to declare war on the sun?

Let's hope not...

lol.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Icerider

That's Big.

Surely not due to any impact? The missile would have to have been huge!

Interesting to know what caused it.

S&F

There have been larger Coronal Mass Ejections (CMEs). This one does not seem to be excessively large. Plus, CMEs are not known to be associated with impacts -- they usually originate from active sunspot regions of the Sun, although they have been know to originate from quiet regions of the Sun

Perhaps this CME came from a region of previously unknown (new) sunspot activity, or perhaps it's one of those relatively rare CMEs that originate from quiet regions of the Sun. Astronomers aren't sure because the area in question is currently not visible (it's over the solar horizon).

Here is some info on CMEs:
www.answers.com...

[edit on 2/2/2010 by Box of Rain]

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
After a bit more digging could it be sunspot 1039? One source I'm looking into now has it listed as an old sunspot

"FARSIDE SOLAR ACTIVITY: Over the past two days, NASA's STEREO-B spacecraft has detected two eruptions from an active region just behind the sun's eastern limb. The source of the blasts appears to be old sunspot 1039. The sun's rotation will begin turning the spot toward Earth this week, so there could be some Earth-directed solar activity in the offing."

There is no way to tell at this point what effect the upcoming activity will have on terrestrial radio communications. As always, we recommend visiting spaceweather.com... for movies and updates.

(Source: www.handiham.org...)

And

Sunspot 1039 is still on the far side of the solar disc, as observed from Earth, but 1039 is providing scientists with promise of continued activity. NASA’s STEREO-B Spacecraft can “see” regions of Sun that are not yet visible from Earth. What STEREO-B has detected are two eruptions from the 1039 active areas.

(Source: www.astronomytoday.com...)

This next one has a graph listed so I will leave it up to those who still wish to venture.
(www.accuweather.com.../mtweb/content/Astronomy/archives/2010/01/sunspot_1039_still_al ive_and_kicking.asp)

So assuming this is the same one that went off, would it be safe to assume that it's just an old sunspot that is currently going active again?

[edit]
Forgot to post a picture of where Sunspot 1039 is located
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/be2c6151f39d.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 2-2-2010 by Gigantea Rosa]

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by watcher73
Source is the sun. /thread

Best post of the thread.

I have nothing of use to add. I shall leave this topic to people who know what they are talking about.

As a side note, I hope it hits Earth and wipes out the human species.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   

coolest post ever. Can you do that with the Earth?

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   

coolest post ever. Can you do that with the Earth?

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ROBL240

Comets/Meteorites would be vapourised before they'd even get to the sun's inner atmosphere (Corona), and the CCD bakeout is normal as any CME event is similar to a EMP here on earth, the Satellite goes in shut-down mode to avoid it being fried (and SOHO losing a multi-million craft in the process.)

Are you sure?

Its amazing what you can find by looking at NASA Satellite Information. Image captured of 2 Comets Crashing into the Sun and causing a huge explosion. Here is NASA link soho.nascom.nasa.gov...

It looks like the gravitational pull of the sun pulls them in to the sun at the last moment.

[edit on 2-2-2010 by tarifa37]

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
For reports and film regarding activity on the Sun on a far larger scale in the 1980's taken by Skylab...

I know you will be astounded at what happened in the early 1980's.
The activity regarding flares and Sun Spot activity was many, many times greater.

One such sunspot covered about 1/3 rd of the Face of the sun.

NASA has a huge library on this phenomena, especiall film taken from "Skylab"
when it was in orbit.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by killjoy99

Hey, did you notice that blip at 15:27 on 2005/02/23 in the Soho C3 2005 full year video that was posted? I was able to pause it close to when it happened and take a screenshot... Weird no?? I dont know how to post the screenshot, so i uploaded it to a flickr account.. hopefully it will show here when i attach the link...

also here if picture didnt post correctly:
www.flickr.com...@N08/4325100319/

Your guess is as good as mine, i would probably say it was just a glitch. Nice find though.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   

The idea that those comets caused the CME is speculation by the person who posted the video on YouTube -- speculation that is not shared by most astronomers.

The people at SOHO think those comets were vaporized before they got to the surface of the sun. The CME could just be coincidental.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Not forgetting your looking at the Sun in a 3D image, from our perspective in a reality the 2x Comets were actually coming from the Left, then they got caught by the Suns Gravitational Pull and evapourated on the other side of the Sun to what we can see.

The Comets themselves would only be a few km across in size, and the distance placed between them and the Sun's "Surface" is hundreds of Earth miles in diameter. Nothing makes it to our Sun's Surface, wether its a Comet or Asteroid, a few rocks a couple of km in size compared to sunspots which can be (and are) Earth sized or bigger, fails in comparison.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by NovusOrdoMundi
As a side note, I hope it hits Earth and wipes out the human species.

You could of course take your life...it would be a start...

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   

i dont know, because i just looked at page two of this thread and someone posted a picture from 2-2-2010 of the sun and it has the same looking blip or object... i wish i knew how ot copy and post his pic, but check it out.. go back to page two about halfway down.. what is this object?

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   

i dont know, because i just looked at page two of this thread and someone posted a picture from 2-2-2010 of the sun and it has the same looking blip or object... i wish i knew how ot copy and post his pic, but check it out.. go back to page two about halfway down.. what is this object?

Just hit the quote button on his post then copy the [img]hgfhyfhgjh(/img) but using square brackets.
That should do it

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by tarifa37

Just hit the quote button on his post then copy the [img]hgfhyfhgjh(/img) but using square brackets.
That should do it

so does anyone know what this rectangular object may be? its hard to believe that its an anomoly that reappears only for a short period of time...

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Box of Rain

The idea that those comets caused the CME is speculation by the person who posted the video on YouTube -- speculation that is not shared by most astronomers.

The people at SOHO think those comets were vaporized before they got to the surface of the sun. The CME could just be coincidental.

Ok I agree that could be and may well be the case.It might be an occasion where what you see isnt necessarily what happened. So in that case I stand corrected. Thanks

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
It's not unexplained. It's a coronal mass ejection. It's large yes, but it is not uncommon and large cmes occur with some frequency and you can find many images of them in teh same archive where you garnered this one.

the rectangle is an artifact of the digital process.

[edit on 2-2-2010 by djusdjus]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join