It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China warns Obama not to meet Dalai Lama

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 05:21 AM
link   

China warns Obama not to meet Dalai Lama

news.bbc.co.uk

China has warned the US president that it will harm ties between the two countries if he meets the Dalai Lama.

Chinese Communist Party official Zhu Weiqun said there would be "corresponding action" if the meeting went ahead.

The White House has indicated that Barack Obama intends to meet the head of Tibetans in exile.

"If [the meeting] does happen we will take corresponding action to make relevant countries see their mistakes," he said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Is this a threat from china?
"They will take action to make relevant countries see their mistakes"

Personally i dont get the whole Tibet thing as i have not really looked into it.... but surely China cant tell everyone they have to ignore the buddhist version of the pope just because they exciled him...can they?

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

Edit: spelling

[edit on 2/2/10 by Lucifer84]

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 05:30 AM
link   
My.. how the tables have turned over the past year.

GWB really messed up the US empire. Now China joins the EU in getting pushy with the US.

And it was definitely a threat, I saw it on Euronews this morning.. but there was no official plan for Obama to meet him anyway.

Prob best off doing what the Chinese say.. The US definitely should give up pissing everyone else off and ye guys definitely wouldn't want to annoy your credit card now would ye

And to be fair to the Chinese.. If China were to have a diplomatic meeting with Osama Bin Laden, it would ruffle some US feathers.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 05:34 AM
link   
says alot about who's controlling the world these days

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucifer84

Definately a threat. Looks as though several of the world's leaders are trying to push Obama's buttons. Seeing if he can, or rather will, flex any muscle.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dermo
And to be fair to the Chinese.. If China were to have a diplomatic meeting with
Osama Bin Laden, it would ruffle some US feathers.

I am behind on political news but has the Dalai Lama done to China what Bin Laden apparently did to the US?
(used apparently as theres alot of threads on here about 911 being an inside job)

EDIT: We all love Techno techno technoooooo

[edit on 2/2/10 by Lucifer84]

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by pangaea

Controlling is a rather strong definition. This specific example does not really show anything. China warns every country not to meet the Dalai Lama. Seemingly, most significant powers don't really care about China's objection and meet him anyway.

The blatant and arrogant intimidation attempts China tries to impose upon others, indicates they feel to be sufficient strong to act alike. Don't dear messing with China is the message and they especially want the US to be aware that their power is no longer inpalpable.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Bad, bad idea. Don't kowtow to the chicom, they'll walk all over you. You'll only make them more brazen.
Besides, what's china gonna do. The US is china's major export destination, if they try harm the us, they will only end up harming themselves.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Dermo

Maybe we should just turn a blind eye it would be the European thing to do would it not. How is that attitude working over there for you guys?

I say Obama should let him stay in the Lincoln bedroom and then tell the Chinese to go pound some sand. The funny thing about the Chinese debt is that they can not unload it and they can not collect it. And they have paid are way to the largest empire ever seen on earth and will see nothing from it. I wonder who the joke is on? China is screwed every way from Sunday and you guys build them up to be some great force this is a lie. They are weak and they know it there country is falling apart from the inside out and must grow at 8% every year just to break even. They are screwed and they financed there own destruction.

They just like Europe will fall apart when the sh*t hits the fan. And what has history showed us that the US will do? I think just like every time the chips are down we will rise to the top and if you check how many military bases we have in the world I think anyone on the wrong side will feel the pain Germany and japan felt in ww2. You can learn alot from history some countries have it and some countries don't and china has nothing but alot of men that will not follow.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 05:52 AM
link   
To keep their status as the World Superpower, the US must hold talks but as is well known, the debt the hold China has over the American economy means that the East speaks an now the West must listen.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by The_Archangel
To keep their status as the World Superpower, the US must hold talks but as is well known, the debt the hold China has over the American economy means that the East speaks an now the West must listen.

And what exactly happens if we do not pay? And have other countries done this in the past and just said go screw yourself? The Chinese are screwed and actually paid for it with there own money how ironic.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lucifer84
I am behind on political news but has the Dalai Lama done to China what Bin Laden apparently did to the US?
(used apparently as theres alot of threads on here about 911 being an inside job)

EDIT: We all love Techno techno technoooooo

Well the whole Bin Laden thing is a bit up in the air really isn't it.. seeing as his family were in business with the Bush's and all the dopplegangers in the video's.

Still, you know what I mean, it was meant in Jest anyway.

Technoooooo!!!!

Maybe we should just turn a blind eye it would be the European thing to do would it not. How is that attitude working over there for you guys?

Pretty well actually, managed to stave off war for half a century after 2 millennia of it, we're wealthy as **** because of it, have a lovely little superstate going... And we don't have to listen to ye're rubbish as much anymore.

How's your imperial approach going? Oh yea.. its collapsing, indefinite wars, deflated ego's, despised mindsets, owned by China, outsourced etc.

Oh and I forgot.. half of ye clearly can't take a joke anymore

And what has history showed us that the US will do?

Kill a million innocent Iraqi civilians? Thats what future history will show. A genocidal empire.. No need to be proud over that.. thats ye're problem to begin with.

if you check how many military bases we have in the world

I can't believe so many of you guys think like this.. Take your Chauvinist attitude elsewhere please.. noone cares about your shock and awe, chest beating, flag waving attitude evolved from the old British imperial ideology in the real world.

This mindset makes you an embarrassment to your country and your species.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Subjective Truth
reply to post by Dermo

I say Obama should let him stay in the Lincoln bedroom and then tell the Chinese to go pound some sand. The funny thing about the Chinese debt is that they can not unload it and they can not collect it. And they have paid are way to the largest empire ever seen on earth and will see nothing from it. I wonder who the joke is on? China is screwed every way from Sunday and you guys build them up to be some great force this is a lie. They are weak and they know it there country is falling apart from the inside out and must grow at 8% every year just to break even. They are screwed and they financed there own destruction.

They just like Europe will fall apart when the sh*t hits the fan. And what has history showed us that the US will do? I think just like every time the chips are down we will rise to the top and if you check how many military bases we have in the world I think anyone on the wrong side will feel the pain Germany and japan felt in ww2. You can learn alot from history some countries have it and some countries don't and china has nothing but alot of men that will not follow.

i agree to a degree. WE are falling apart from the inside out. WE build ourself up to be a great empire from the movies of hollywood. captain america and super man is on our side some might say. they're growing while we are in debt. we are screwed AND we finance our own destruction, iraq war for one.

yes we will rise to the top just like a good inspirational movie. every time the chips are down we need a miracle to peel ourselves off the pavement. i do not think nuclear weapon will save us this time, but fear not, god only bless us and nobody else. the almighty will save us this time. the chinese have existed for thousands of years, we have only been here a short time and you want to talk about lesson learned throughout history?

i think you are very unbiased in your opinions. you sound very educated and well inform, your words weigh heavily upon me and i congratulate you on a job well done. listen world, FEAR US!!

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Yup, the United States should bow down and kiss China's butt on this.

Just where in the heck did the US get the idea that it could talk to anyone it wanted to, anyway? As far as that goes, we should probably allow China to regulate our web surfing habits like they do the Chinese... we could really benefit from being denied access to certain kinds of information and websites, like ATS. All the conspiracy stuff here is bad for our minds.

Sorry Mr. Dalia Lama... our big brother says we can't talk to you.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 06:20 AM
link   
We get the job done and thankfully for us you have the right to voice an opinion. You should thank GOD every night like your grand pa did for the US. Because without us you would be speaking German right now. And I am sure we will save you again in the future even the ungrateful ones.

War sucks but I would rather be on this side then the other we have bigger guns. We have earned the right to be arrogant you guys save the world a couple times and then we will talk. It is hard to argue with history.

Just for history sake how fast where the world wars won after the US deploys troops?

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by DOADOA

Easily the most subtle, cynically sarcastic thing I have read in over a week.

Ich liebe

Just where in the heck did the US get the idea that it could talk to anyone it wanted to, anyway?

To be fair, what goes around comes around and the US has been the elephant in the room for years throwing its weight around and using similar tactics. Now there are three elephants. Ye are just going to have to get used to it.

Any btw.. its called diplomacy. Just because the US didn't really put much emphasis on trying to get on with other nations for the past 50 years doesn't mean that its not an integral part of a multi polar world.

Just for history sake how fast where the world wars won after the US deploys troops?

I take it you are talking about the world wars in the last millennium.. when my parents weren't even born yet.. You know.. the ones GENERATIONS AGO.. the ones that mean absolutely nothing now. Those ones yea? You know, the ones that used completely different tactics and weapons

And Russia won WW2 in Europe.. not the US. Sorry. History may be written by the winners but ours must be a little less USA centric than yours.

There is no doubt that the US is the most powerful military on the planet but at the risk of sounding a little more evolved than you.. since when is life about having a bigger stick?

Hasn't civilization evolved past this to a large extent? Obviously not in your immediate surroundings.

So now that the EU is a nation.. you gonna start threatening to invade us now?

[edit on 2/2/10 by Dermo]

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Dermo

you forgot about japan. yes, nobody bring the pain like us. screw your children and wives, we bringin it son!!

then we brought the pain to vietnam, them poor bastard still hurting today from all that bomb we dropped. this is one of our masterpiece. a lethal combination of explosives and chemical warfare. how vietnam still exist today as a country is beyond me, i thought we bombed them back to the stone age.

skip a few and we're now in iraq. they're just jealous of our freedom so we bringing the pain. ain't that right defective truth?

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Dermo

To be fair, what goes around comes around and the US has been the elephant in the room for years throwing its weight around and using similar tactics. Now there are three elephants. Ye are just going to have to get used to it.

What the US may or may have not been in the past is irrelevant. The world has changed, just as it always has. Besides, any elephants, or bears, or dragons in any room is entirely subjective to political perspective. That's just life.

If the US rolls over on this, it may as well prepare to bend over next. Independence to conduct ones 'diplomacy' as one sees fit is the same as the freedom to speak freely. If you neglect it... if you don't use it, you will lose it.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

An excellent point!!!

There is also the point here that the US administration hasn't planned to meet the Dali Lama as a result of what was probably forecast in regards relations with the Chinese.. Remember the incident with France last year.

So seeing as the US administration won't be backing away from anything, then it is probably best to state that there was not going to be a meeting and use a lower level diplomat for the Dali Lama visit.

Save Face while entertaining the Tibetans in a diplomatic sense.

No need to do as some of the above posters were saying and give the Chinese the two fingers and hold a White House house party for the Dali Lama.. that's only asking for even more trouble than is coming from the Chinese in the near future.

A massive amount of US citizens don't seem to get the fact that equal diplomacy between nations is important.. This is as a result of the US dictating its views for decades..

reply to post by DOADOA

Bring the rain all over the globe.. show everyone whats what!

They'll never look at the US crooked again.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by DOADOA
reply to post by Dermo

you forgot about japan. yes, nobody bring the pain like us. screw your children and wives, we bringin it son!!

then we brought the pain to vietnam, them poor bastard still hurting today from all that bomb we dropped. this is one of our masterpiece. a lethal combination of explosives and chemical warfare. how vietnam still exist today as a country is beyond me, i thought we bombed them back to the stone age.

skip a few and we're now in iraq. they're just jealous of our freedom so we bringing the pain. ain't that right defective truth?

although this post is flawed in many ways i think it is brilliant. it made me laugh anyway

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join