It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A simple photo reveals hidden tumours

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Hey Ats,

Found this on my homepage, thought id bring it to the attention of the forum.

I was amazed to read how a simple photo with a flash could help detect such a thing.Im aware that flash photos can reveal bruising under the skin, but this??

Signs of retinoblastoma — which 95 percent of affected children survive if treated — include a "cat's eye" reflection in photos, a black eye in flash photos, a squint or a cloudy eye.

I'll keep an eye out for this in the future

Link to story

Has anybody perhaps seen this in photos before??

[edit on 2/2/2010 by scubagravy]

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Just thought id follow up with proof of how cameras with flash can reveal bruising and may also be used to detect the age of bruising:

In a 1996 article in the Archives of Disease in Childhood, Stephenson and Bialas described how they tested the ability of physicians to define the age of various bruises. Twenty-three children with 50 accidental bruises of known age were photographed by a medical photographer who used identical lighting conditions for each photograph. Each photograph included a color scale in the background to make it easier to compare the color of the bruise with a known color. The pictures were shown to a physician who was familiar with the practice of aging bruises, but who was not aware of the actual ages of the bruises in the photographs

Aging Bruises an Inexact Science

Its not an exact science yet as stated , but they're heading somewhere with it.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 01:52 AM
link   
I've heard of this!

I think it was a process that was developed from a million to one encounter on a train!

Someone was showing family photos to a friend on a train and they just happened to be sat next to an opthamologist... Well one photo caught his eye, he asked to have a loser look, wrote down the name of some condition... Most likely this retinoblastoma? Any way he said just make sure that person goes to the doctor with this piece of paper!

Great story right! (I just know I'm gonna read that article now and it's already in there - I'm always doing that
)

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Its members like you, who bring something different to ATS. I am always fascinated by these types of threads as I am connected to the industry.

I am convinced that all the money spent on technology in hospitals could be put to better use and that cheap simple technology exists and can be used in the sameway. It appears to me that these machines are manufactured in order to prolong life not save it per se.

Maybe I should explain myself, when I go to a dentist for example, I see a drill as primative technology, I feel myself that I have lived in an age where you just shine a light in your mouth and all is fixed. When I go into a hospital I see these machines used for scanning your body. however, again I feel that I existed in a different time where you step into a scanner and it fixes all your problems. Weird eh

[edit on 2-2-2010 by franspeakfree]

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by franspeakfree

Thankyou franspeakfree,

You raised some very valid points, though im puzzled by your last sentence "i feel i existed in a different time" something you wanna let us in on mate ??

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by scubagravy

Yes sure, I have been convinced that I exist(ed) in a time before this where people could turn the lights off with their mind were able to heal the body through some form of tube that you stand in and fix teeth by shining light in the mouth, many more things but I won't go on.
. Surely I can't be the only one on this site?

[edit on 2-2-2010 by franspeakfree]

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   
I read a story about this maybe a year or two ago in a local mag about a mother who was concerned because her child's eye kept showing up like the one in the photo! Turned out to be the retinoblastoma and got it all sorted out thanks to the photos. Interesting stuff isn't it! Helpful too! S&F

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by bkaust

Yes bkaust, perhaps a very helpful tool indeed, one of the reasons that compelled me to share it on ATS. Cheers

new topics

top topics

join