It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do You Have Blue Eyes? Heres Why!

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pajjikor
green and blue, what does that mean for me?

How do you want me to break it to ya?

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. I beleive that everybody is a descendent of Adam and Eve and all, and maybe one of them had blue eyes or something but.....wow...this is...stupid....and also, isn't everybody born with blue eyes? Some people like me also have eyes that change color-sometimes they are brown, sometimes green. I also have a friend like that-her eyes change from grey to green to blue.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I don't know if anyone has posted this on the thread yet, but a (slightly above) basic explanation of genetics may resolve some of the questions people have about the blue vs brown eyed debate (and the multiple questions of fidelity that I have seen)

True eye color is determined by at least 3 different genes.
For the most part there are 2 classes of eye color genes, The blue classes (that produce blue and green eyes) and the Brown classes.

For simplicity I am focusing on these two classes.

Blue eyes are a recessive trait meaning that 2 blue eyed genes are needed to produce the trait.

Brown eyes are a dominant trait meaning that only one brown eyed gene is needed to produce the trait.

Each parent gives 1/2 of the genetic code that they have to a child. If they are brown eyed, it is possible to carry the recessive blue eyed gene. Thus if two brown eyed parents have a blue eyed child, then the each parent carries a recessive blue eyed gene. The gene can be carried for many generations with out manifesting itself if the "other" gene is a brown eyed one.

Hazel eyes (a mix of brown and blue) can come from either the blue eyed or brown eyed gene, or in some cases - neither. That is basically where the other genes that attribute eye color come in. But it becomes way complicated (and I'm trying to keep it simple)

Remember that your entire genetic code is contained within that first cell created from the DNA that your parents gave you, and they only give you half of their genetic code. Every single cell in your body contains that exact same genetic code. Some genes get turned on/off during development to produce the various types of cells (That's a whole other area called epigentics), and can be turned on/off due to environmental effects, thus affecting what part of the brown/blue eyed gene class is the visible trait and creating the different types of blue/brown/hazel/or green eyes.

And just for the sake of saying....my eyes are green.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   
edit, double post

[edit on 2-2-2010 by ThreeSistersofLoveandLigh]

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonlova

Just because you lack the education to comprehend a subject does not make it 'stupid'. Making comments like the one you posted does, however, show your ignorance...

Just one example of said ignorance in your post, while I was born with and still have blue eyes, my daughter and all three of my grandsons came out of the womb with very brown eyes...

Unless you have a degree in Genetics, disputing the results in the article linked to the OP just shows a lack of intelligence, because it's quite obvious that you are talking out of your gluteous maximus...

[edit on 2-2-2010 by JaxonRoberts]

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ThreeSistersofLoveandLigh

how do you know this ? and just for a second line my eyes are always gray withan amber ring around the puple. has any of you met a person with violate eyes?

[edit on 2/2/10 by Aceofclubs]

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Aceofclubs

I know it because one of my areas of interest is genetics. When I was in junior high school we did a primer on genetics, I wanted to understand why I had green eyes, and not blue or brown, why my mothers eyes were so pale blue/gray and why my father's eyes were gold/green...so I studied up on it.

My oldest son's eyes are a blue/violet

[edit on 2-2-2010 by ThreeSistersofLoveandLigh]

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by TarzanBeta

serbsta, I think you missed the word, "guaranteed".

I think you missed the whole point of what was being said there.

reply to post by Monts

Thanks for the explanation mate.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ThreeSistersofLoveandLigh

who`s findings are you taught in your schools? as i see it most genetics is almost guess work as thay don`t know what allot of genes mean/do so don`t know if the unknown genes do affect the known genes

what i`m realy geting at is the question is this actulay proven 100% or is this another well this is the best we got so far things like allot of things inscience,like metaphysics and alike subjects

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I try to avoid people with blonde hair or blue eyes.

They're probably not human.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
blue eyes are nice,but according to statistics people with blue eyes are usually scandinavian northern europe ancestry, people with grey eyes usually have russian ancestry, as for green they say irish people(red hair peoples), I have light greyish-green eyes with yellow pigments i do have russian ancestry along with 2 other backgrounds but no irish whatsoever.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
My mom had extremely dark brown eyes, my father blue. My brothers and I have blue eyes. Their children all have blue eyes. Both my Parents and Grandparents all had A+ blood type and all of my siblings have A- blood type and their children as well. All our hair starts out as straight blond hair that turns dark orange and wavy.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
And another, by chance how many in this brother hood are left handed and / or ambidextrous?

On the comment of hair color changing.

I was born with brown eyes, black hair, and very dark skin (Heritage)

I then went strawberry blond and covered with freckles, which faded away to a sandy blond, and then into my adult hood very dark again.

I have so many colors of hair now its odd looking in the sun light and strange when half your mustache is blond or half your goatee is red or clear.

My eyes are a very deep blue with gray rings centers, I can also dilate my pupils by thought.

Something else I find interesting about having blue eyes is the arguments over the hue or shade of colors, from my understanding and comparison with people that have brown eyes, color doesn't always appears as most would expect, maybe a mild form a "color blindness" for a lack of a better word. Ive always felt color are very vivid, or maybe that's my imagination.

[edit on 2-2-2010 by Thereal]

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by EyeOnYou
both my parents and my brother have brown eyes and dark brown hair, whereas i have blond hair and blue eyes.
i swear my mom must have cheated on my dad with the milk man or somethin lol.

ahahahahahahahahahaha

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Hazel eyes rule!

I always thought I had green eyes but on closer inspection I have green/brown/yellow - so I think that is hazel.

It is the Celtic genes.

And I would like to ask this - why do babies' eyes often change colour as they get older?

I had violet eyes until I was 4 or 5, so family lore has it.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by EyeOnYou
both my parents and my brother have brown eyes and dark brown hair, whereas i have blond hair and blue eyes.
i swear my mom must have cheated on my dad with the milk man or somethin lol.

Both blonde hair and blue eyes are recessive traits, even if both parents are blonde/blue their kids will not necessarily have either.

In simplistic terms unless both parents are bb (blue) and come from long genetic lines of bb there is no certainty in the children.

As far as I know from in Scandinavia blonde hair at least is a strictly Scandinavian trait and we had found anyone with blonde hair had Norse ancestry some time down the line, for example Ukrainian < Russian < Rus < Sweden etc something I find very fascinating.

Both my parents have brown hair and my sister too, yet I was born blonde and it slowly turned brown over time... supposedly this is quite common.

Even though I find it fascinating it is creepy cuz it is treading down nazi territory... :S

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

Except you are from texas lol.

But just because you have green eyes, it doesnt change the fact that most irish dont and its very rare.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by learningtofly

'And I would like to ask this - why do babies' eyes often change colour as they get older?'

The melanin producing genes need light to be activated. So most babies are born with blue eyes, (well white babies) and they get darker, sometimes very quickly sometimes over 5 years.

Even if the babies eyes look very dark, if you look closely they will be a dark blue.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 03:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Ridhya

'Both blonde hair and blue eyes are recessive traits, even if both parents are blonde/blue their kids will not necessarily have either. '

If both parents have blonde hair and blue eyes, then the kids will definitely have both blonde hair and blue eyes.

As the genes are recessive, they are only expressed when there are no other genes present. So the children can only get the genes for blue eyes and blonde hair, because the parents have no other genes.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by maximiliian
blue eyes are nice,but according to statistics people with blue eyes are usually scandinavian northern europe ancestry, people with grey eyes usually have russian ancestry, as for green they say irish people(red hair peoples), I have light greyish-green eyes with yellow pigments i do have russian ancestry along with 2 other backgrounds but no irish whatsoever.

I'm not sure how true this is. My entire family (maternal and paternal) have grey-blue eyes, light skin and mousy-brown hair, although I'm sure my sister can only remember her natural hair colour by looking at mine

Either way, we traced our family back about 1000 years and we always lived in England. At first in the South as farmers/land workers and then later moved to the Midands to work in the coal mines during the industrial revolution. I'm fairly sure there isn't much in the way of Russian infuence in our genes, although I will admit to the possibility of Scandanavian, as who knows what happened when the Vikings invaded.

Another strange genetic anomaly my family have is that we are all short, but incredibly powerfully built, with very dense and strong bones. Perhaps we're just throw backs

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join