It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Italy is about to open its first prison designed to cater exclusively to transsexual inmates

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Italy is about to open its first prison designed to cater exclusively to transsexual inmates

www.telegraph.co.uk

Guards will undertake special training in how to treat transgender prisoners when the prison block opens near Empoli, in Tuscany, in March.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Well ATS your thoughts? Is dignity something for this demographic? I have always lived my life reasoning that people can do with their sexual prowl in a dignified manner without imposing or hurting others. Be interesting to see some responses about this special jail and how these guards are going to handle these cases. I think even a video documentary would be interesting to watch.

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
US jails and foreign jails are 2 different things...

From what I understand foreign jails aren't as barbaric as the US jails..

So I dont know how to comment.... Sorry.

Although I will state here we have this saying.. If you cant do the time dont do the crime..

So I donno.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I'm really at a loss of words for some reason, yet I have something in the back of mind which I could state as a response? On the one hand I suppose it would be helpful, but I know little of jails outside of the U.S. the most I know of captivity was P.O.Ws' in war and even then that doesn't help.

I suppose though that they would be safer ( at least going off the information I have for the U.S. prison state. ) Most people usually beat those who are Transgender so I suppose good seeing Transgenders getting more support out there ( even if it is in the form of their own prison ) it will still help them In the long run I suppose.

Yeah I think this may be my worst post ever with nonsensical rambling...

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I wonder how many criminals will "turn" Transexual after being found guilty and awaiting sentencing?

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 04:52 AM
link   
When firstly I've read about this, i thought it was some crazy news: but it seems that Transgenders are very happy for this: even the president of Italian Transgenders Movement (Regina Satariano) stated that "it's a great idea".
I'd say that transgenders' take is what really matters in this case: if the purpose is to keep them safer, then it's good, in my humble opinion.
One of the issues was that trans were ghettoized in "normal" prisons, which made it extremely difficult to even just plan some reintegration within the community. Italian prisons are overpopulated, the issue is so big that Italy had been found to have violated the human rights of a a Bosnian man: the European Court of Human Rights ruled that Izet Sulejmanovic had been subjected to "inhuman or degrading treatment". In such a devastated scenario, the people who suffer more are of course the weaker ones, and since even men get raped in prisons (i mean worldwide, not just in Italy), it's easy to figure out what could happen to these people. It's a very delicate topic, but i think that it has been a good decision: time will tell if i'm mistaken.
Thanks for sharing

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 06:32 AM
link   
[edit on 2-2-2010 by XXXN3O]

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by internos

No prob internos...Did the article help you um, err, uhhh...find you a new home? J/K

top topics

join