It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HIV Researchers Solve Key Puzzle After 20 Years of Trying

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Researchers have made a breakthrough in HIV research that had eluded scientists for over 20 years, potentially leading to better treatments for HIV, in a study published today in the journal Nature. The researchers, from Imperial College London and Harvard University, have grown a crystal that reveals the structure of an enzyme called integrase, which is found in retroviruses like HIV. When HIV infects someone, it uses integrase to paste a copy of its genetic information into their DNA.

Source

We continue to learn more and more about the ways these diseases work. Such as the cancer DNA coding recently found.
It's basically a race. researchers are trying to find ways to get around the disease becoming resistant to the treatments. The less resistant, the longer the treatment works.

Big-Pharma will continue to profit on treatments for quite a while, Im sure. But at some point, there will be enough research to put an end to these threats.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Very neat. I had a graduate student drop a paper on my desk a couple of years ago about a new therapy that was just in the planning phases, so I'm not sure where it is now.

Basically, they found the only known fully conserved (doesn't change across strains) surface protein on HIV, and were attempting to stimulate anti-HIV antibody production by coating gold nanoparticles with the protein alone and injecting it into mice. It certainly would be nice to find out we can create antibodies and start some quick-acting antiviral therapy for these patients!

join