It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republicans blast President Obama on his budget

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Republicans blast President Obama on his budget

House Minority Leader John Boehner (R-Ohio) hinted at hypocrisy in the White House’s budget, which was delivered to Capitol Hill this morning. He said that Obama spoke about “the importance of fiscal responsibility” at his conference’s retreat in Baltimore last weekend but delivered a budget that “spends too much, taxes too much and borrows too much.” Boehner said the budget is filled with “reckless spending and more unsustainable debt.” Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), like all other Republicans, blasted the budget. “This budget provides a startling figure that should stop us all in our tracks,” McConnell said. “According to the administration’s budget, the interest on the federal debt is expected to be nearly 6 trillion dollars over the next decade. We’ve all heard about interest-only loans, but this is the equivalent of an average of $600 billion dollars in interest every year. That’s an astonishing number.

www.politico.com...

Ok. I'm worried about the deficit. Everyone is worried about our deficit.

Now, would someone PLEASE tell me how Republicans would completely change this and make a surplus?

ANYONE? Anyone complaining about it...please....tell me what Republicans would do?

End the war? HAHA
End corporate contracts resulting from the war? HAHA
End unemployment benefits? HAHA
Increase tariffs/taxes on imports? HAHA
Increase taxes on anyone? HAHA

I'm sick of hearing it. They won't do a GD thing and everyone here should know it. After getting their clocks cleaned the last 2 elections after exploding the debt to nearly 10 trillion dollars as Bush left office...with their own "stimulus package of tax checks"...not to mention the Bush tax cuts which has done next to NOTHING for our economy.

Across the board tax cuts? HOW? I thought we worried about the GD deficit? MOre tax cuts to CORPORATIONS WHO HAVE SENT ALL OF OUR JOBS OVERSEAS?

Are we just going to quit paying the interest to our loans to everyone that has been buying into our debt?

I'm telling you right now...the country would be in the same shape it is now...probalby much worse...if Republicans somehow ran all 3 branches of government.

Why doesn't anyone talk about raising tariffs? You know...an actual tax revenue on international corporations to sell their crap here? It's at an average of 2 percent right now...China, for instance, averages 20 percent on it's tariffs of imports. This could take a nice chunk out of our deficits if done correctly...plus...

IT CREATES JOBS. Small businesses will be able to complete with the big boys again. THe money will stay in the country.

As it stands right now....the cycle will never end. If we don't do something about our trade laws then you can kiss this country goodbye.

Above all else....YOU CAN"T END THE DEFICIT WITHOUT ENDING THE WAR. YOU CAN't DO IT.

It's all BS.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
If Republicans knew how to manage a budget we wouldn't have this problem. So they can just sit and stew, and let the team that actually gave the country a budget surplus do its damn work. And I guarantee, with a girl like Michelle, there will be no intern BJ's to help the Republicans out this time around.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
There is a difference between cultural exchange and cultural mixing. I believe it is culture, not political boundaries, which bind people together. People from different parts of the globe have different languages, different customs, and different thoughts. Thus it is natural that different cultures should have different types of economies and governments. We do not want a world government; we do not want a world economy. We wish to end foreign labour, stop foreign aid, and rebuild Western culture. Free from economic obligation, international trade and cultural exchange can be excellent things.What does it mean to be “left” or “right”? Not very much, if you think about it. Especially when both sides seem to be preaching the same Pleasant Illusions instead of Difficult Realities. If the difference is nothing more than a brand-name, shouldn't we be able to come up with something better?

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Support the war? Then you support the deficit. To every FISCAL CONSERVATIVE posting on ats...or anywhere else for that matter....YOU ARE A HYPOCRITE.

I'm so sick of all the BS on both sides.

NO ONE IS WILLING TO DO WHAT IS NEEDED TO BE DONE.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

If Republicans knew how to manage a budget we wouldn't have this problem. So they can just sit and stew, and let the team that actually gave the country a budget surplus do its damn work.

What? Across the board tax cuts is what they want...it will help the country! I mean...look at how successful the Bush tax cuts were!!!

Our economy is riding high!!

Silly Democrats...across the board tax cuts will fix all of our problems!!!

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Republicans would sort this mess out...its very simple

give everyone a tax cut and erm...

they would be against abortion of course...ok...and they like God...swell guy. oh, and they would cut taxes...

about the debt...well, it would be reduced because once we cut the taxes, we can spend whats left on building up our military. and erm...oh, I know, the state can stop erm...public education...thats a drain and educated people end up being liberals anyhow...home and private schooling for everyone.

did I mention tax cuts?

oh, and freedom...republicans like freedom (so long as the freedom = nothing morally objectionable, and most of the freedom is in the hands of corporations/rich..but hey...if you dont like it, you can simply become rich yourself...your choice).

Maybe they plan on selling Glenn Beck's tears for 10 bucks a pop...that should clear up the debt by the end of Obama's term

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I supposed I should have made this an Obama bashing thread. I'm sure I would get plenty of stars and flags.

Conservatives will read it....and ignore it...just like any problem that stares them in the face.

IT'S NEVER THEM. IT'S NEVER ANYONE"S FAULT. IT'S ALWAYS THE OTHER GUY.

ALWAYS.

I've always considered myself a conservative but right now I don't know if I even can anymore.

The BS has hit extreme levels and I won't compromise my own beliefs, or what I believe is right, for hatred of one man or ideology.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I know, a big stinking mess...

For one I am glad nobody successfully privatized SS, could you image what would have happened in 2008?

I hope next time a president ponders starting a war, the hormonal walking boners will keep their mouths shut, Obama should have never invaded Iraq in the first place.

I do hope the GOP's policies will work though, maybe after the four tries, tickle down will finally rain down peso's upon all of the peasants heads. The best thing to do would be to
give all big business all the tax revenue as a return each year. I can imagine the prosperity and jobs now, you might learn some Indian and Cantonese in anticipation,
land yourself a MANAGEMENT position

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Reply to post by David9176

You can still consider yourself conservative if you really are. Just know that 99.8% of those labeled (R) are not at all conservative.

Also, when you referred to every fiscal conservative as a hippocrite I think you meant to say any republican claiming to be a fiscal conservative is a hippocrite. If you are a fiscal conservative you don't support these wars or any of this bloat crap.

They are all so full of it. Have you heard the new "progressives are populists" strategy? Hysterical to say the least. Hysterical and depressing to know these imbeciles are "in charge."

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

They are all so full of it. Have you heard the new "progressives are populists" strategy?

That was created by Glen Beck! I heard him say it on his radio show. If anything, I'm probably far more populist than a conservative. It's almost as if he tries to quell the anger people have and tries to keep it solely on the government instead of those who have "used" the government and corrupted it.

I've been asking for a populist movement over and over...which the tea party thing originally was....now Mr Beck is trying to demonize it...oddly enough. I guess by his terms I'm now a Progressive!!

Also, when you referred to every fiscal conservative as a hippocrite I think you meant to say any republican claiming to be a fiscal conservative is a hippocrite. If you are a fiscal conservative you don't support these wars or any of this bloat crap.

You're right....just my anger. I'm just tired. It doesn't take a genius to see that the country is failing....I don't want it to. It almost seems as if the ones who say they are defending it are the ones actually hurting it even more. This country was actually something to be proud of not that long ago....now it's hard to be proud of anything lately.
---

I've had it with Glen Beck. I can't watch it anymore...I will still listen to him on the radio...but all he does is blame everything...and I mean everything...on progressives. To me, a progressive is a classic liberal. I don't agree with many stances they have...but that doesn't mean they are evil as he paints them out to be.

In the end, don't we just want what is best for our families? How did it get this crazy?

Even as people struggle there are still those on ATS...and everywhere else...that still play the political game.

[edit on 1-2-2010 by David9176]

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Your right the Republicans wouldn't do any better with it than the Dems other than they might try to hide it better.

There isn't any change in policy in Washington just a change of face. It is extremely hypocritical of the GOP with their criticism, their just trying to gain popularity with the Tea Party and the Libertarians, but it's not working with me.

The problem with Tarriffs as my father explained it to me was Tarrffs have the potential to create trade wars and make countries like China extremely angry. Your right though Tarriffs are the tax that should be raised and it would definitely create incentive for our country to produce things here, instead of over seas.

The deficit is unsustainable... the cronies in Washington have no idea what their dealing with (or maybe they do). We need honest politicians, a rare thing if it even exists.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by asmall89

The problem with Tarriffs as my father explained it to me was Tarrffs have the potential to create trade wars and make countries like China extremely angry. Your right though Tarriffs are the tax that should be raised and it would definitely create incentive for our country to produce things here, instead of over seas.

I understand that the possibility of a trade war is there. We just can't suddenly jack up tariffs 18 percent overnight. It would have to be a gradual thing. There is a ridiculous amount of revenue to be made here...and as things begin to shift we would still be retaining that tax revenue. People seem to forget that almost everything they buy is no longer made in the USA. Yes, our prices would increase...but they would increase by inflation anyway if we don't do something about the deficit.

This also paves the way for American manufacturing to be strong again as it's basically nonexistant now.

Quite frankly, it's the only way I see out of this. Anyone else have any other ideas?

I've seen nothing but things that are unrealistic.

[edit on 1-2-2010 by David9176]

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I completely oppose this budget as it is absolutely irresposible. The GOP isn't any better, they just wanna spend on war, but this is OBAMA's budget and it is his deficit now. When does he actually have to take responsibility for the Federal Government? It seems that until Obama came along that responsibility started on January 20th every four years?

For the record I'm not a conservative I'm a Constitutonalist. People like me have it hard these days, because a Constitutionalist has to deal with some very hard truths about the state of the nation. We get lost in the 2 party muck most of the time and it becomes an argument about who is less corrupt, rather than how the Constitution can guide us back to the America we should all want, a free America, a prosperous America. An America that prosecutes criminals no matter what office or chairmanship they hold. An America that only goes to war when it is truly necessary, one that does not police the world, one that appreciates and protects it's own rights and leads by example.

We need to start asking ourselves what we really believe, the political whims of the moment, or a long standing tradition of freedom and freedom fighting? Who are we America?

You tell me. I'm tired of this battle- You people shouldn't be asking what the effing Republicans or Democrats will do, you should be telling them what to do and you should be upholding the very rights most of you take for granted-even today, after all we've seen.

This budget will help drive this country off a damned cliff on the interest alone. We're already in that position, how much comfort are we willing to purchase on a spent credit card? People shouldn't be worried about the deficit, they should be freakin' scared stiff.

[edit on 1-2-2010 by projectvxn]

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

We need to start asking ourselves what we really believe, the political whims of the moment, or a long standing tradition of freedom and freedom fighting? Who are we America?

We are a nation of families. Fathers, Mothers, Sons, and Daughters. In the end that is what it will always boil down too. It won't matter what ideology is right or wrong...what party it is we agree with....it's always going to be family that will trump everything else.

I completely oppose this budget as it is absolutely irresposible.

Well what is the solution? I don't like it either but I don't see anyone offering any real answers. We can be unhappy about things as much as we want, but that doesn't solve the answer. Revolting against the system, resulting in collapse, is not good for anyone. If it's not good for my family then I cannot support it.

Times are getting hard enough that people need to start rethinking of what is important.

I know that you are passionate of what you believe in. I do not fault you for that...you are one of the few who have stood stern in your beliefs.

The point is....will you hold on to those beliefs even at the point of your own demise?

I cannot....and I don't think most anyone here on ATS could if it came to that point.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox
If Republicans knew how to manage a budget we wouldn't have this problem. So they can just sit and stew, and let the team that actually gave the country a budget surplus do its damn work. And I guarantee, with a girl like Michelle, there will be no intern BJ's to help the Republicans out this time around.

Maybe if Obama were a third of the man he said and promised he was during the 2008 campaign this country would be in much better shape than it is now. Oh what's that? He's a fraud and doesn't know squat about business or running a country? And you keep drinking the Kool-aid by the pitcher?

Yeah. We know. Fortunately the rest of the country is waking up to this realization also, as seen in Massachussetts.

To the OP: The difference between Republicans and Obama? Obama cast himself as a different kind of politician. Change you can believe in, remember? Yes we can! Yes we can! He made this country believe that what it needed was new, inexperienced leadership at the helm to solve a very complex financial meltdown and people are waking up to the fact that not only can he NOT deliver on those promises, but he's not even that great of a politician.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 04:58 AM
link   
I would specifically raise tariffs on companies that are HQ'd in the US but import products from plants overseas. Time to make it more expensive to produce products overseas than it would be to manufacture in the states.

I would cut all funding for the wars. If the Military Industrial Complex can come up with the money to keep fighting the wars, fine, otherwise, bring our troops home.

I would also slash the military budget. That is primarily where your deficit spending is at. There is no need for us to be everywhere all over the globe, there is no need for us to spend more than the GDP of most other countries on our military. Sure the defense of this nation is paramount, but let's get real people.

Next is the DHS, we have that already it's called the NSA, the FBI and they are supposed to coordinate with the CIA.The DHS is a huge waste, a massive bureaucracy created by George W. Bush. (so much for Republicans wanting a smaller government)

So with those few cuts in mind I think that a balanced budget and controlled spending would be an easier job.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

If both sides actually knew how to balance a check book we would not be where we are right now.... and getting worse

new topics

top topics

join