It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Bows to Tampa Mayor

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Not sure is this is breaking political or alternative news, so please move if neccessary.

This is interesting. The President, bowing to a Mayor. I must say, I like this better than bowing to foreign power. But why? Was this intentional or a mistake?

Either way, I think this constant bowing is getting a little ridiculous.

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

Jesus even bowed to kings. It's just a show of respect much like a hand shake.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by sensible thought

I'll just chaulk it up to irony that your post drew an indirect Obama-Jesus comparison. That's all I'm gonna say about that.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

Go team.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

Yeah, I think another poster just got it. It looks like he is trying to APPEAR humble or respectful.

Edit to Bold Appear. I do not think he is sincere... Just looking good for the cameras.

[edit on 1-2-2010 by electricveins]

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Our President is a class act like this country has never had.

His gesture shows his humbleness, approachability, and I believe it is a sincere posture.

I would only be concerned if he does this while kissing the Pope's ring.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   

It's just a show of respect much like a hand shake.

Respect in some cultures. In the American culture it is a tad bit weird; unless President Obama is really Japanese [they bow ya know].

Add that one to the list guys!

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by octotom

It's just a show of respect much like a hand shake.

Respect in some cultures. In the American culture it is a tad bit weird; unless President Obama is really Japanese [they bow ya know].

Add that one to the list guys!

Well, the article says obama bows to Tampa Mayor Pam Iorio. The name sounds japanese, and in the picture she also looks to be asian ...

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

That would explain it then. People shouldn't get bent out of shape about this then. [Or ever really.]

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by electricveins

And so what if he's not sincere. That's why they call it a show of respect. The gesture is respectful, whether he likes who he's bowing to or not is irrelevant.

Listen, I didn't vote for him, and I'd certainly vote him out today If I could. I don't like the guy. Well, I take that back. What I really mean, is I don't think he knows what he's doing. That aside he may be a nice guy. I think however, that it's refreshing to have a guy in office who actually makes a conscious effort to display respect to others, sincere or not. The fact that she's a mayor is irrelevant also. They each have different jobs, but they're both human beings and deserving of the same respect.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

Nah, he's just showing her all the grey hairs his new job is giving him.

She's totally saying "Well, Barack, have you tried 'just for men'? It might do the trick!"

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
BOWING?
BOWING?

THE MADMAN! HE'S A MADMAN!

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Heh, there's a part of me that wonders if Obama had the flaps over him bowing to the Japanese and the House of Saud in his mind when he did this. Maybe he was thinking "Y'know, I'm about to propose an absolutely assinine budget here and I really need something to distract attention away from that. Hmm... what to do? I got it, I'll bow to the next authority figure I meet with and the whole issue of me bowing to people will resurface and obscure the real issue at hand! I've done it again, sly old dog, I've done it again!"

Always remember, magic is simply the art of doing something somewhat interesting with your right hand in full view of the people, to distract them from watching your left hand which is secretly placing the little ball under the handkerchief. Learn the art of distraction and you too can become a Vegas showman of epic talents.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

Well, I don't know. But if folks criticise you for bowing to foreign leaders, one way to confuse and distract them is to start bowing to American leaders. See? All just a big misunderstanding, he might say...

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
Well, the article says obama bows to Tampa Mayor Pam Iorio. The name sounds japanese, and in the picture she also looks to be asian ...

Italian actually:

Her father John Iorio, an Italian immigrant and a professor at the University of South Florida, died on February 7, 2007 after a battle with cancer.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox

Nah, he's just showing her all the grey hairs his new job is giving him.

She's totally saying "Well, Barack, have you tried 'just for men'? It might do the trick!"

Thank you sir

That's about as much seriousness this thread needs.

A good chuckle.

Can't wait for Idiot/genious to go through Obama's laundry , looking for skids.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   

They each have different jobs, but they're both human beings and deserving of the same respect.

Shame so many people seem to forget this.

As for how people greet each other, I know that different cultures have different customs, and some are sinister, but I think people are looking in the wrong place for things he is doing wrong. Nit picking isnt required. Ron Paul is a good place to start, he's not afraid to speak his mind. But just remember he's also a politician, and human.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unit541
I think however, that it's refreshing to have a guy in office who actually makes a conscious effort to display respect to others, sincere or not.

I'm sorry, did I miss the year in which bowing became a sign of respect in AMERICA and among AMERICANS?
Not stealing other peoples' money is a preferred sign of respect in America.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by pumpkinorange
I'm sorry, did I miss the year in which bowing became a sign of respect in AMERICA and among AMERICANS?

Enter any martial arts club in America and you'll see people bowing with respect to their opponents, the ref and the judges. Nothing wrong with a sign of respect by anyone.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Thats not because its respectful, they do that because it is tradition.

There is a differance.

<<   2  3 >>

join