It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel reprimands top officers over UN compound strike

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Israel reprimands top officers over UN compound strike

news.bbc.co.uk

Israel has revealed it has disciplined two senior army officers for using white phosphorus shells during an offensive in Gaza.

The admission is contained in the Israeli response to the Goldstone report, which concluded both Israel and Hamas had committed war crimes.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

[edit on 2/1/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 04:40 AM
link   
I never thought for a million years that Israel would admit to such a thing. White phosphorus is permitted for use as a smoke screen in open areas but is considered a war crime when used in built up areas. The 'two seinior army officials' will be punished but the nature and extent of the punishment has not been stated.

This is unacceptable. I hope those responsible are dealt with severely.

news.bbc.co.uk

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

[edit on 2/1/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 04:56 AM
link   
They disciplined two officers for using white phosphorus?

They should prosecute the terrorists who supplied it to them. I bet they dont.

[edit on 1/2/10 by NuclearPaul]

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Chonx

Like they need to admit it, everyone knew they were doing it, it was on TV for F's sake

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chonx
but is considered a war crime when used in built up areas.

No it is not, care to show us that exact "law"?

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by dereks

I have to say , that regardless of law its bloody immoral. Moral fortitude will always be more important than legal stability.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 05:23 AM
link   
The evidence is overwhelming, video footage, Olmert's apology to the UN, etc. now they need scapegoats, so they pick two military officers and send them on holiday with new ID's.

Nothing will change.

Originally posted by Chonx

I never thought for a million years that Israel would admit to such a thing. White phosphorus is permitted for use as a smoke screen in open areas but is considered a war crime when used in built up areas. The 'two seinior army officials' will be punished but the nature and extent of the punishment has not been stated.

This is unacceptable. I hope those responsible are dealt with severely.

news.bbc.co.uk

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by dereks

Admittedly, the laws are ambiguous but I think that the use of white phosphorus in this specific way IS in violation of the UN Chemical weapons convention of 1992.

Here is a snippet from an article pertaining to Americas use of WP in Falluja in 2005 which illuminates this fact:

"No it's not forbidden by the CWC if it is used within the context of a military application which does not require or does not intend to use the toxic properties of white phosphorus. White phosphorus is normally used to produce smoke, to camouflage movement.

"If that is the purpose for which the white phosphorus is used, then that is considered under the Convention legitimate use.

"If on the other hand the toxic properties of white phosphorus, the caustic properties, are specifically intended to be used as a weapon, that of course is prohibited, because the way the Convention is structured or the way it is in fact applied, any chemicals used against humans or animals that cause harm or death through the toxic properties of the chemical are considered chemical weapons."

Link :news.bbc.co.uk...

Here is the actual CWC from the UN site:

www.un.org...

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 06:39 AM
link   
It doesn't even matter anymore what happened in Gaza. In a very short time we will all be in World War 3 with hundreds of millions of deaths.

Look at this as well:

www.cnn.com...

The last major review was released in 2006 and the Pentagon's view of the world has changed dramatically in the four years since. The 2006 review was heavily focused on the threat of a large-scale conventional war with China and that country's saber rattling over Taiwan.

The bastards have been planning an all out world war for a VERY LONG time.

They FEED on BLOOD! Makes you rethink stuff about Reptilians in power not being true, huh?

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   
You dont think any other army/country would prosecute it's military officers for stepping out of line.

At the very least they would be demoted.

These 2 scapegoats have had nothing happen to them

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearPaul

Israel is one of the top weapons and munitions manufacturers in the world, do you really think they would have to go to the black market to obtain what is actually a very simple weapon?

And because it does have legal applications even if they did have to go to some other arms manufacturers there would of been zero legal problems - it would be like me stabbing someone to death with a kitchen knife and the shop keeper who sold it to me legally going down too.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   
When it comes to a fight between rocks and white phosphorous I'll always favor the underdog. Always.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearPaul
They disciplined two officers for using white phosphorus?

[edit on 1/2/10 by NuclearPaul]

White phosphorus is legal to use in certain situations, so having it on hand is not illegal. In cases such as this one the blame would be placed upon the officers who authorized or gave the order to use white phosphorus.

In a war time situation the government itself does not always know whats going on. That is why they have officers which are supposed to oversee the situation on the ground and make the right calls. Also, in a case like this the order could have come from a lower level officer but politics of the situation are going to require a high ranking officer to be disciplined.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Styki

In a war time situation the government itself does not always know whats going on.

Pictures, video and reports, Google images "white phosphorus Gaza",
upload.wikimedia.org...

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by prof-rabbit

To go further into that comment and give a little information on how military's work; those in the higher levels of government are not briefed on every single detail of what happens in a war. There are certain things that do need the highest levels of authorization , however, there are many things that do not and others that should.

In this case, the white phosphorus is physically accessible and these commanders could have given the order to use it without political officials knowledge. Politicians have a tendency to not authorize certain actions, which leads me to believe that they didn't know this was happening at the time. Either that or they did know and these two officers are taking the fall. That's beyond my ability to judge because anything beyond this would just be a guess in the dark.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Styki

Difficult to understand how the politicians wouldn't know about it being used. Everybody else knew because it was on TV every night.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigyin
reply to post by Styki

Difficult to understand how the politicians wouldn't know about it being used. Everybody else knew because it was on TV every night.

Yes, my point precisely, news, internet, direct feeds and this.

Now go here for the full report:

Rain of Fire
Israel’s Unlawful Use of White Phosphorus in Gaza
March 25, 2009

This 71-page report provides witness accounts of the devastating effects that white phosphorus munitions had on civilians and civilian property in Gaza. Human Rights Watch researchers in Gaza immediately after hostilities ended found spent shells, canister liners, and dozens of burnt felt wedges containing white phosphorus on city streets, apartment roofs, residential courtyards, and at a United Nations school. The report also presents ballistics evidence, photographs, and satellite imagery, as well as documents from the Israeli military and government.
www.hrw.org...

[edit on 4-2-2010 by prof-rabbit]

new topics

top topics

join