It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How come songwriters get it so right?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 02:25 AM
link   
But if you think about it, Elvis only ever played three chords on a guitar. Prince graduated high school a year early and the majority of his more popular songs fly in the face of conventional music theory on composition as in which notes of his chords sound correct.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by learningtofly
reply to post by Whine Flu

People may know these things - but it takes someone to write them - because peoplel only follow others.

Sometimes its hard to put into words how you are feeling, and when you find another sorce that does that for you it soothes and makes you feel that you`r NOT alone. Its not just because people only follow others...

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 02:28 AM
link   

People may know these things - but it takes someone to write them - because peoplel only follow others.

And this is what I find is wrong with how everyone treats each other in terms of credibility. Someone could tell their friend that the swine flu was released by the WHO yet no one will take notice. Billy Corgan can say it and swarms of people think he's some sort of cynical saviour.

A different subject entirely, though. For the record, I never completed high school either, and most people think being a muscian is a big joke. It just depends on your perspective I guess. Urgh, if only there were musicians in the area that shared my ideas on what music to make, then perhaps I could start to take off. I can't do this on my own.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 02:29 AM
link   
With songs like Bang Bang Pow and I've Got a Feeling, it is clear that it takes zero talent to write lyrics. People need to stop worshipping "musicians." A band singing about a chicken fry wins a Grammy, while MGMT is left empty handed.

[edit on 1-2-2010 by ivorywire]

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

Elvis was sex on legs and a huge worry to every parent. OMG he is corrupting everyone!

A lot of families were corrupt before Elvis.

And I think Elvis was into his thing and good for him.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by squidley_35

Sometimes its hard to put into words how you are feeling, and when you find another sorce that does that for you it soothes and makes you feel that you`r NOT alone. Its not just because people only follow others...

The exciting thing about a lot of music that isn't talked about so much is the fact that a lot of the music is made to take you on some emotional journey. Well, all music does that but there are a lot of artists out there that paint a pretty picture without needing lyrical content.

There are, in fact, quite a lot of electronic acts or something that take you on a spiritually moving journey. These can range from depressive to transcendental experiences. I believe that the power is in the music and not the lyrical content, for in the music you have so much depth that one can interpret in a variety of different. Its power is beyond mere words and brings out all sorts of feelings. If the music alone can let us be in sync with our feelings then we should be more in synchronisation with our higher self.

Well, perhaps. I need to listen to some music while sleeping. Check out Shpongle sometime. You won't be disappointed.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by ivorywire

I agree that theBlack Eyed Peas, on the surface seem to have no talent, but they do stil capture the moods of the dance music fans, and surley thats the point of music. To capture anothers emotion so that they can relate. So they do have talent to some people. I suppose thats all down to personal taste.

I also agree, MGMT shouldn`t have been left empty handed..

[edit on 1-2-2010 by squidley_35]

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 02:45 AM
link   
reply to post by learningtofly

Part of the connection you perceive b/w songwriters and subject can be found in 'symbolism'.

A symbol is larger than 'subject', should 'subject' even exist in the intended meaning....

the paper holds their folded faces to the floor
and everyday...the paperboy brings more.

but yeah...me too. I 'gree.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 02:49 AM
link   

reply to post by ivorywire

I agree that theBlack Eyed Peas, on the surface seem to have no talent, but they do stil capture the moods of the dance music fans, and surley thats the point of music. To capture anothers emotion so that they can relate.

I also agree, MGMT shouldn`t have been left empty handed..

But it's not exactly music is it?

More like a trance beat. It's catchy, yes, but so are church hymns for some.

The point of music is to express yourself, imo. If other people connect with you, then you get good music. Unfortunately, to some music is about identifying the latest trend and exploiting it, make catchy music without expressing their passion and feelings.

Which is what I look for, passion and raw emotion in music, not catchy songs that no one will remember the next month.

Beauty in the eye of the beholder.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by vjr1113

My point was that you can stil capture emotions in dance music. regardless of its longevity, for that month, week or even a day, that song helped a person express themselves in a way that they might not`v been able to otherwise. And with dance music that would be dancing... I myself am getting a bit old for clubbing and dancing, but it does help me when im doing my housework!!

[edit on 1-2-2010 by squidley_35]

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 02:56 AM
link   
I guess it is key to remember that for every act that makes a record deal there about 10 other acts that are equally as good or better that did not receive a record deal. It is part of the reason that I seek out local acts in different venues.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 02:58 AM
link   

reply to post by vjr1113

My point was that you can stil capture emotions in dance music. regardless of its longevity, for that month, week or even a day, that song helped a person express themselves in a way that they might not`v been able to otherwise. And with dance music that would be dancing... I myself am getting a bit old for clubbing and dancing, but it does help me when im doing my houework!!

Yeah, I'm not looking for a fight

Everyone has different tastes, to be honest I sometimes enjoy a little catchy beat once in a while.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by vjr1113

I think people do get very passionate about music, because it does capture raw emotion. But yes, I think we all should enjoy a catchy beat from time to time... Its good for the soul!

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by squidley_35

Yes - you have it right there - it stops people feeling alone.

So, why do we feel alone? Because of technology.

But, guess what, it is ok to be alone.

When you are alone you can read books - which is a nice thing to do.

You can go for a walk and appreciate nature - look at all those amazing plants.

Or you can relate to your own family.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 03:07 AM
link   
As a songwriter all I can say is look around you...

I tend to write about stuff that people can relate too, and the catchy, yet emotional melodies and riffs create a sound that people can feel!

The world is my inspiration.

My signature saying which is actually copywrited haha is

"If words could change the world..."

[edit on 1-2-2010 by Wolf ]

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Wolf 

OK, Wolf - I believe that songwriters can change the world - so....do your thing!

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 03:13 AM
link   

You could be in a room full of people, and be the lonliest 1 there...

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 03:27 AM
link   
My favourite band has a song with lyrics that most ATS members should enjoy:

EELS - Saw a UFO

Saw a UFO
In the sky last night
Made me wonder if
Everything's gonna be all right
Searchin' the skyline
For a little light

All the love in the world inside of you
Been there all along to see you through

Saw a UFO
And it made me cry
Could I be so stupid
To think that I'm
Gonna be here
Forever?

Saw a UFO
Then it disappeared
Made me wonder if it's gonna be
Back next year
Maybe I don't have anything
To fear

[edit on 1-2-2010 by noface]

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 04:31 AM
link   
I'm not a musician, but a writer - did a fantasy book and some poems. But I do believe all artists share the same core.
See, I often make the comparison between our society and a sheep herd. Most of the sheeps follow the herd, happy enough to have other sheeps going in the same direction. At the head of the herd is a ram, he believes he's the one deciding where the herd is going, but he's actually a part of the herd.
Now comes the artist. He just went away from the herd, sat on the top of a hill and looked. Watching the world is the most important part of an artist's work. I sometimes got awesome ideas just looking at small details that could have easily been ignored.
That is why they do get things so right : they dare to look at things. And no, education will never learn you to look at the world. As said a french singer (Renaud Sechan, of course the quote needs to be translated) :
"Well if school really allowed
People to be free and equal,
The government would decide
That it isn't good for kids."

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   

When i write my music i don't even think about it. For me it's more about shutting off the conscious mind and just let info flow in, that goes for lyrics and melody.
The outcome is music that's not really ment for the pop music masses.
Writing pop music takes a different kind of writer, and is actually pretty hard to do.

Here are 2 songs of mine; songs

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join