It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How come songwriters get it so right?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   
This question has been bothering me for a long time.

Most pop groups etc are into their music, not education.

I bet a lot of top singers are not qualified in school subjects, let alone university etc.

So how, and why, do these people get everything SO RIGHT in their lyrics?

There are so many examples of this.

Here is my belief - I think people who make music are closer to their source.

I think that a lot of people who become 'educated' to the highest degree lose that source.

I think we are meant to sing, dance and be happy. Although I acknowledge that a lot of the greatest musicians are not happy, I believe that this is what comes of creating a great thing - you create it and that is your purpose - after that it is a downer.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by learningtofly

That's quite a compliment you are making for anyone who writes songs.
And it's quite a beautiful idea.

As a songwriter I would love to say that you are right

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by dragonsmusic

Thank you, dragon - I am right on this - I totally believe this in the depth of my soul.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 01:32 AM
link   

You're welcome.
You have a beautiful way of writing.
The part about making the music being such a high and the rest being such a low in comparison is mind blowing. It's true.
And that' probably why many songwriters are unhappy.
Want to be ATS friends
?

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by dragonsmusic

I am a writer - not of songs, although I wish I could be.

Thank you for the friends thing - I do not want friends on this website, and I do not want enemies on this website - thanks for asking.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 01:38 AM
link   

No problem.
But you will have friends and enemies in life as well as on this site.
There's nothing you can do to change that plight.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Most pop groups are just posers in it for the money. If you're looking for good songwriting, stay away from mtv and the whole pop culture deal.

That being said, most pop artists don't write their songs. Pop music is so recycled and has absolutely no passion imo. Just beats, rhymes and the occasional catchy chorus or guitar riff.

I do agree that some people just have that fire that makes their music special, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder so some people wouldn't know good music if it hit them in the face.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by vjr1113

I think that the whole human thing has been spelled out in songs - but we do not listen.

We are too busy talking.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by vjr1113

Didn't John Lennon only finish high school......

'nuff said.

Peace

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by vjr1113
[mor

Its the lyrics that you need to listen to, not just the corney music that goes with them. If you think about it you can put almost any song lyrics to any melody.

You dont need to be educated to be able to make good songs. Just very in touch with your own inner voice. To be able to get across an emotion so that another person feels that same emotion, is an amazing gift.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

Talking about John - he totally overshadowed George - who was the BEST!

Get George's CD - George was the main songwriter but John was a bully and took over.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Gees you guys, I never disagreed with OP, nor did I say you had to be educated to write good music "operation mindcrime".

squidley_35, the music is just as important as the lyrics, Beethoven's music never had lyrics and he wrote beautiful music.

I know what it takes to write music and you don't always have to express yourself through lyrics.

Sometimes we might not connect with the lyrics of a song, but the melody might be just right.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by vjr1113
squidley_35, the music is just as important as the lyrics, Beethoven's music never had lyrics and he wrote beautiful music.

The colossus that was Beethoven wrote things that I don't think words will ever do justice to.

Most people today don't listen to much classical and have no idea.

[edit on 1-2-2010 by bsbray11]

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 02:10 AM
link   
I feel the music is a lot more important than the lyrical content, though that is no excuse for the lyricist to make up crap on purpose.

Generally, musicians follow and speak generalised opinions that everyone's thinking and already knows, but the fact that they end up with some sort of status means that you make their words seem more insightful than another persons. I'm not hating on musicians as I am one myself. If you listen to music that isn't just about pop sensibility you'll find that the language that music speaks is a lot more powerful than some pretty little written words a lot of the time.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Bob Dylan flunked out of College. When asked why, he said he didn't go to classes. That was not what he was about. He has written about 458 songs to date (released). He must have had a lot of these high and lows that you speak of.

link   

Originally posted by bsbray11

Originally posted by vjr1113

The colossus that was Beethoven wrote things that I don't think words will ever do justice to.

Most people today don't listen to much classical and have no idea.

[edit on 1-2-2010 by bsbray11]

Agreed.

I've cried to Beethoven

Pop music's never done that to me. Again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

link   
All it means for an artist to be popular is that their sentiments/ideas/attitudes are widely shared by some group of people. There are a lot of artists that are popular yet they have completely contradictory beliefs and values from each other.

link   
reply to post by vjr1113

I totally agree, the melody can be just as captivating as the lyrics. Iv a broad range of music that i enjoy, depending on my mood. There are some songs that i can relate to so well emotionally, And thats very comforting... Sorry I didn`t mean to sound so agro...

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Whine Flu

People may know these things - but it takes someone to write them - because peoplel only follow others.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Whether it be the lyrics that you relate to or the melody, for another person to capture your own emotion makes us feel a lot less lonely...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join