It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Surrendering Internet to Foreign Powers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Sunday, 31 Jan 2010 06:41 PM
By: Bradley A. Blakeman

Without the ingenuity of America’s brightest minds and the investment of U.S. Taxpayer dollars, there would be no Internet, as we now know it today. Now, the Obama administration has quietly moved to cede control of the web from the United States to foreign powers.

Some background. The Internet came into being thanks to the genius work ofAmerican's, Dr.Robert E. Kahn and Dr. Vinton G. Cerf. These men while employed by the Department of Defense in the DARPA office, (Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency), in the early 1970’s, went to work conceiving, designingand implementing the idea of ‘open-architecture networking’. This breakthrough in connectivity and networking was the birth of the Internet. These two gentlemen had the vision and the brainpower to create a worldwide computer Internet communications network that forever changed the world and how we communicate in it.

They discovered that by providing a person with a unique identifier, (TCP/IP), which was able to be recognized and interact through a network of servers, all users then could communicate amongst themselves and with others. The servers would recognize the identifier and connect networks-to-networks, (utilizing a series of giant servers), that would pass on information from computer to computer in a seamless real-time exchange of information. This new process of communication became know as the 'information super highway', a.k.a., the Internet.

Now for the bad news - in an effort to show the World how 'inclusive', 'sharing', 'cooperative' and 'international' America can be, the Obama administration set off on a plan to surrender control and key management of the Internet by the U.S. Department of Commerce and their agents.

The key to control America has over the Internet is through the management of the Domain Name System and the giant servers that service the Internet. Domain names are managed through an entity named IANA, the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority. The IANA operates on behalf of the U.S. Department of Commerce. The IANA is responsible for the global coordination of the DNS, IP addressing and other Internet protocol resources. In short, without an IP Address or other essential Internet protocols, a person or entity would not have access to the Internet.

For years the International Community has been pressuring the United States to surrender its control and management of the Internet. They want an International body such as the United Nations or even the International Telecommunications Union, (an entity that coordinates international telephone communications), to manage all aspects of the Internet in behalf of all nations.

The argument advanced for those seeking International control of the Internet is that the Internet has become such a 'powerful', 'pervasive', and a 'dependent' form of international communications, that it would be dangerous and inequitable for any one nation to control and manage it.

Just this past spring within months of Obama taking office, his administration, through the Department of Commerce, agreed to relinquish some control over IANA and their governance. The Obama Administration has agreed to give greater representation to foreign companies and countries on IANA.

This amounts to one small step for Internationalism and one giant leap for surrendering America¹s control over an invention we have every right and responsibility to control and manage. It is in America¹s economic and national security interests NOT to relinquish any control we currently are responsible for regarding the control, operation and functionality of one of the modern world's greatest inventions and most powerful communications network.

Link to Original Article

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   

seriously...

well, if its from newsmax, it has to be right...one of the most unbias news agencys out there...not a ounce of propaganda and disinformation anywhere to be found.

total sarcasm btw...laughably sad...

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Please supply some proof. If you are going to denigrate a source, at least put an effort into supplying proof the supplied information is false.

Otherwise you come off as exactly what you denigrate. Someone giving an opinion that has no merit.

As for the OP. I have always felt that the government inventions that come from my and your tax dollars should be retained by the people of the US.

I find the practice of giving corps the patents on inventions created by R&D, by my tax supplied dollars, to be highly repugnant. Now if true, one of the biggest/important inventions in the entire industrial revolution, to be given away to an internationally controlled entity, to be JUST AS REPUGNANT!

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 03:15 AM
link   
This is...words can't describe.

It's like saying that we ceded the harnessing of electricity to foreign powers...honestly, where does anyone get the idea that America controls the internet?

The Internet has no centralized governance in either technological implementation or policies for access and usage; each constituent network sets its own standards. Only the overreaching definitions of the two principal name spaces in the Internet, the Internet Protocol address space and the Domain Name System, are directed by a maintainer organization, the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN).

To further push my point, if we cut power to the entire nation, do you think the internet would die because of the loss of US servers? Absolutely not, there are servers all over the world that host their own domains and their own IP address' completely independent of the United States.

Further reading;

ICANN's primary principles of operation have been described as helping preserve the operational stability of the Internet; to promote competition; to achieve broad representation of global Internet community; and to develop policies appropriate to its mission through bottom-up, consensus-based processes.

It truly boggles the mind that people believe that we own the internet and have some special privelage on its use and execution.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by links234

My view on this is not the ownership per se. It is the implementation of a controlling body.

What could be the next step? A penny per click?

I believe so far everything is fine, why are we changing anything about the internet?

Too many ramifications and too many problems involved in trying to control the internet. I know we could make our own net behind the net, but stuff like this makes me wary.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Wait a sec, doesn't Al Gore have a say in this?

Typical Obama, if he's not bowing he is surrendering, so I'm not surprised by this.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

Well, truthfully, there is no controlling body. The only thing that anyone, ANYONE, might consider a controlling body would be ICANN. Which, as I stated earlier, is a private organization that works for the department of commerce.

Any further comments like the one from Alaxandro, obviously haven't bothered to read the full thread and work to propogate ignorance.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 06:38 AM
link   
In the words of a very wise man, the internet is a series of "Tubes". We can not afford to let foreign interests to have ANY control over our "tubes". If we give up even one bit of our "Tubes" what's next? Our pipes? Our cylinders? Next thing you know we'll be slaves to China or Russia!

I'm sorry I absolutely had to do that. Everything links234 said is spot on. The internet lost the ability to be controlled by any one nation years ago. Some countries like China and Australia are attempting to do firewall damage control but even banned search terms and country code redirects are no match for any twelve year old that owns a computer and has lots of free time. This alleged amount of internet control Obama is giving away only exists in this newsmax fiction.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I've been following this for a while now.. They're (UN and Obama admin) are talking about giving it over to UN control. That would allow countries like Russia, China and many Islamic countries who have already made a push for restricting anti Islamic/Koran/Muhammad/Communism articles and any other thing they deem anti Muslim/communism against the law.

So, if we do give this up and put it in the "control" of foreign governments. Many of the posts we have on this site could land us in hot water if not jail.

I don't know about you guys but I don't want some Muslim country dictating what I surf, post, watch or download. The internet has had a positive impact on my life. I've learned and grown from the information available. If this is allowed to happen it would be a death stroke to the free world and a major win for the NWO.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Why am I not surprised that some Americans are arrogant enough to actually believe they own, and have a right to own, the Internet?

How about you stop using the Refrigerators us Aussies invented huh? Got a hearing implant? Not any more, us Aussies want our invention back please. I could go on and on (perhaps you could give us our Uranium back too?) Seriously, if the rest of the world thought the way some Americans do then nobody would have access to anything and we'd all be living in the Dark Ages still.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Sadly is not just about who invented or who financed first, this is about having one or more bodies trying to control what the net primary goal is, [freedom of information exchange], right now is about three international groups that already are salivating at the possibility of controlling how information is disseminated across the globe.

So I expect the internet to become splintered and no longer will resemble what we have grown to be so familiar with.

Another point to be made is that the whole issue of giving away internet rights came after Snowden open a big can or worms with how the US was spying on other countries, the amount of pressure that many countries has put on the Obama administration finally manage to cave in.

So get ready for internet censorship like you have not seen before.

top topics

join