It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Austraila - and their Militry

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 10:18 PM
link   
When Austraila was asked to enter East Temor in the year 2000. It was because of a Violent Coo. A man had enter the parlement house and had started to kill the Government officals and take over the country. When Austraila entered the country officially they little to no resistance. The reason why is because, Australia secretly sent in a mass of special forceses to eradicate the resistance. If anyone knows anything more about this i would like to hear from you.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------rvilc1@eq.edu.au

- Spwan

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 10:41 PM
link   
They werent sent in secretly to eradicate the Uprising, they sent SAS and regular soldiers to keep the peace, the SAS had a few brief encounters with rebels but nothing major.

Also a contingent of Australian Federal Police werent sent over to relieve the army.

East Timor is alot more stable now days, my older brother actually live and works there and has never really had any trouble

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 10:44 PM
link   
the last blackhawk refueled and shipped out for the 2 hour flight to darwin early this week .... Congratulations go out to the defence force and Federal police for doing such a wonderful job in restoring law and order to the east timorese people.

Chris

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 11:58 PM
link   
And congrats to the NZDF for their exlemplary conduct.

The SAS wasn't there secretly; it's a public fact.

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 06:10 AM
link   
I'd just like to point out that ( nice one DeltaNine) it weasn't just Aussie forces that served in East Timor, New Zealand played a large part in that particular "action" link

This is a followup report on New Zealand's involvement... it has a link to an original report on New Zealand's involvement. I know a couple of people who served in Timor and they are pretty positive about what they were doing there.......

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dabue
They werent sent in secretly to eradicate the Uprising, they sent SAS and regular soldiers to keep the peace, the SAS had a few brief encounters with rebels but nothing major.

It wouldn't suprise me if they did. During Vietnam, we offical sent our troops over in 71 (atleast i think it was 71) but the truth was, we were sending people over atleast 3 years before that.

This story comes from my Grandfather, who is a retired soldier, who has friends everywhere.

Australia sent some troops over there, then brought them back a year or two later, and never debriefed them, but kept an eye on them. One of these guys would be so freaked out about what happen, he'd dissapear from time to time. It turns out he would go and ride a tram all night because he couldn't sleep because of what he had seen over there. He was never offered any help when he got back.

ok, so this story probably doesn't have any relevance here, but i thought it was cool
Well, it might, it might show what the Australian Government is capable of...

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Meh. Australia rocks. There's no doubt about it. Just some political people annoy me...but most politicians do.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Werent our SAS in Iraq securing oil sites for the American empire before the war had even officialy started?

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Yes indeedy they were. Our Sas guys were teh first ones in...well i guess apart from the CIA and the like intelligence agencies.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Australia became involved in Vietnam way back in '62 with a small army training team. Mostly Warrent Officers and a few SNCO's. Our official combat involvement didn't start until '65 when 1RAR was sent over. We left Vietnam by December '72.

As for East Timor, little resistance was met as the Indonesian government had time to remove most of the militia from East Timor before UN sanctioned forces arrived in Dilli. Australia didn't move until it had UN and Indonesian backing, we couldn't afford to be seen to be invading Indonesia. To risky a move.

Australia, New Zealand, Uk, US, Italy, France, Canada and others contibuted to the multi national task force. Aussie, Kiwi and British spec ops forces were first on the ground met by TNI (indonesian forces) peacefully in Dilli.

D

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by spwan
When Austraila was asked to enter East Temor in the year 2000. It was because of a Violent Coo. A man had enter the parlement house and had started to kill the Government officals and take over the country. When Austraila entered the country officially they little to no resistance. The reason why is because, Australia secretly sent in a mass of special forceses to eradicate the resistance. If anyone knows anything more about this i would like to hear from you.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------rvilc1@eq.edu.au

- Spwan

It wasn't a coup. East Timor was just getting ready for a independence and the pro-Jakarta militia started killing everybody. Maybe you're thinking of the trouble in the Solomon Islands earlier where Australian troops and AFP were sent in to restore order. There was also the Fiji coup with George Speight and he did go into parliament and kill some people, but I don't think Australia was invovled military.

[Edited on 4-6-2004 by D]

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Australian special forces and navy divers were scouting the terrain of East Timor and Indonesian forces deployments inside the territory months before the actual landing of United Nations-approved peacemakers last month, a senior Australian defence source has revealed. Members of the elite Perth-based Special Air Services Regiment and the Royal Australian Navy's Clearance Diving Team (CDT) have been operating clandestinely on the island since early this year.

The sole task of the two elite units was reconnaissance in preparation for a large Australian Defence Force (ADF) deployment.

The SAS's principal subjects have been infrastructure in and around Dili, Indonesian ground force operations in the hinterland and movements of military traffic across the West Timor frontier. CDT divers scoured Dili harbour and nearby anchorages for anti-shipping mines, explosives and traps. They also surveyed nearby sites in case an amphibious landing became necessary. From the shore they scouted for Indonesian military (TNI) and militia obstacles and deployments.

www.specialoperations.com...

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 06:17 AM
link   
It's amazing what can happen when a western country uses it's Special Forces for good uses. A lot of these timeless wars in third world countries are simply untrained murderous gangs trading turf at the expense of normal civilians and a small company of equipped and trained SF can wipe the floor with them.

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 06:52 AM
link   
yes Australia's involvement in East Timor was a good thing but we should also remember the efforts of all the troops all from around asia that helped in getting the country on its feet.

I was for Australia's involvement in Iraq because they were giving the people a chance at freedom and change but I was also against it because it was about oil for the Americans. It's truly sad to see when a nation goes to war for such things.

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 07:17 AM
link   
I think that australias involvement in iraq is for completely different reasons than our involvement in east timor.

our involvement in east timor was for humanitarian grounds, and we managed to prevent a massive tragedy from unfolding

our involvement in iraq, is so that we can please our american freinds, whom are serving their jewish masters

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 08:49 AM
link   
YES, it was good that interFET the internatiinal force sent into East Timor made up of Australia, Britain, Canada, US, France, New Zealand, the Philippines, and Thailand although 25 years late, but better late than never.

When 450yrs of rule by Portugese left, East Timor annexed by Indonesian at the end of 1975 much of this period has been characterised by human rights violations until interFET was depolyed on 20th Sept 1999 to restore peace and stability.

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Australia has never really been a good army, but not as good as US and British army at least. It's still good to have them fighting.

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Minime
Australia has never really been a good army, but not as good as US and British army at least. It's still good to have them fighting.

I'm going to disagree here. There guys are every bit as good as ours (US), the difference is money and numbers. Man for man, they are our equal.

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man

Originally posted by Minime

I'm going to disagree here. There guys are every bit as good as ours (US), the difference is money and numbers. Man for man, they are our equal.

Yes, and with this "money and number's", it make's it a better army.

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Just bigger, not better. They have equal (if not better) training. I know what you are getting at, but the fact is that they are our allies, they fight along side our guys, and have much of the same equipment and capabillity.

All you are going to do is piss off a bunch of Aussi's and show once again that Americans are much too arrogant with this kind of talk.

Edit: I noticed that you are from England. So I guess I'll let you know how much better the US is then the UK because we have so much more money and so many more men. With your line of logic, please never again put the US and UK millitary in the same sentance, as we are vastly superior defined by your own words.

[edit on 24-8-2004 by American Mad Man]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join