It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The U.S. Party System- DEAD, and I'm sick of it- But I Do Have A Solution

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Leaders are the few that have the capability to manage a community, create cultural consensus and urge others into action. They often have to make difficult decisions that may hurt some, or make sure someone can't do exactly what they want. If anyone were to bring up these notions in a democratic system, they would be called fascist or insane, then quickly become political and social outcasts. Who do we have in Washington or elsewhere willing to do this.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by concernedcitizan

Therein lies the major hurdle....it would have to be a major overhaul type of event for it to work.

And you are correct I may be insane

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
No! No! NO!!

You are getting confused because you are so far removed from the actual course of events and the power moves.
The whole thing has become so abstracted, and the propaganda is so widespread, that the average person can easily be fooled into thinking that there is just one ''side'' using Democrat and Republican as a dialectic trick or Hegelian strategy.
Snap out of it. There is a war going on.
There is a very real war between multiple groups that wish to control the Earth's resources including humans.

The vote is real.

There are only 5 generations alive at any given point in history. The babies don't carry much power. The youth don't carry much power. The young adults and their parents do. The elder grandparents also do, but they are moving on in age and often do not really have much power. Don't get me wrong now, some of those old folks have tons of money and influence.

Five generations is all. That is a VERY FRAGILE conscious reality. We are playing a deadly serious game here!

There is no trick in America (at least not one I'll tell you about) and the whole balance of power is very precarious. The Democrats want one thing and the Republicans want another, generally speaking. Actually the two categories get very mixed up and gray and it is supremely difficult to even talk about it. Just believe me, there are major differences between Pro-American and Anti-American rhetoric as delivered by the politicians. I'm not saying all Dems are bad or all Repubs are bad. It is a delicate mixture. DO NOT OVER SIMPLIFY it and fall into the anti-American trap of ''ohhhh, they're all on the same team''......

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabaret Voltaire

This is not an "Anti-American Trap"...if anything it's pro-America. Our forefathers warned us against parties (see my OP).

The Democrats want one thing and the Republicans want another

This is a trap you have fallen into! They merely serve different masters...but THEY ARE ALL CORPORATIONS...not us. Pick your poison, it doesn't matter.

We need a clean slate we can believe and trust in (again).

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Yeah I agree that the Democrat and Republican parties are a conspiracy, I don't know if the purpose of the conspiracy is to give us the illusion of choice, but I definitely agree that there is a conspiracy there.

I agree that the Two Party system should be abolished, the Founding Fathers never intended for there to be a Two Party system.

No parties at all, that would be a hard one to pull off, but if it happened it would be for the better.

Take big corporations out of the mix and screw them, that won't happen, candidates are going to look for sponsors to sponsor their candidacy and get their point of view out into the public.

And then the lie detector test and the $250,000 a year rule are absurd. There are plenty of people who make over $250,000 a year who started out with nothing and do in fact know what it feels like to be a common man. And the lie detector test just seems over the top to me.

You definitely have a good basis for an argument so no you are not insane, there is something big wrong with the Two Party system and something has to be done.

But there is a problem with not having parties. That would mean voters would have to research each individual candidate for their unique points of view on each issue. When there are parties, voters know that a candidate from a certain party will have certain views, so when you erase parties, you make the voter's job more difficult. And since Americans are largely ignorant of national and international issues, I doubt most voters will actually care enough to research each candidate and vote.

So here lies the problem is the ignorance of the American people... people are sucked into the 2 party system and don't realize they are being manipulated. The two party system is a problem that stems from the bigger problem of American ignorance. If you can find a way to make Americans less ignorant, more people will see what is wrong with the Two Party System.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wang Tang
That would mean voters would have to research each individual candidate for their unique points of view on each issue. When there are parties, voters know that a candidate from a certain party will have certain views, so when you erase parties, you make the voter's job more difficult.

Thanks for your comments. What you have said here is crucial....

WE NEED TO BE MADE TO THINK. This is a core problem with our way of society...We want to stay dumb, watch the Grammy's, talk about Beyonce's big butt, play our Nintendo Wii's, contemplate the impending split up of Brangelina!

What's wrong with researching a candidate's actual views on every issue? That'll keep 'em HONEST.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   

WE NEED TO BE MADE TO THINK. This is a core problem with our way of society...We want to stay dumb, watch the Grammy's, talk about Beyonce's big butt, play our Nintendo Wii's, contemplate the impending split up of Brangelina!

We do need to be made to think. That is the solution to our problem, our society has to change from a society of ignorant gossipers to a society of thinkers. Now the big question is how the hell do we do that? Thought provoking movies like The Matrix and Avatar can only take us so far... there would have to be reform in our system of education.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Wang Tang

OR....we would have to let the kettle boil over.

Or, let TPTB run us into ruin, then rebuild.

That's where it gets a little hairy!

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Signals
What's wrong with researching a candidate's actual views on every issue? That'll keep 'em HONEST.

Or make 'em better liars.

[edit on 1-2-2010 by Walkswithfish]

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

My sympathies on this front lie with Socrates, who suggested a society of philosopher kings who ruled as was best for the population as a whole. He dictated that these would be raised and sent through education strictly according to merit, and that they then would be cast into the world to make a path for themselves so that they would understand the reality citizens face. This is superior to our current academic system, which isolates people from reality in little theoretical circles where reality is discussed but not directly influenced or experienced, as they are shielded by academia from normal jobs, housing, obligations, etc. It is also superior to the democratic system of picking the "most popular" leader, because it is easy to be popular by making illusory promises and acting covertly for one's own profit.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by concernedcitizan
reply to post by Signals

My sympathies on this front lie with Socrates, who suggested a society of philosopher kings who ruled as was best for the population as a whole. He dictated that these would be raised and sent through education strictly according to merit, and that they then would be cast into the world to make a path for themselves so that they would understand the reality citizens face. This is superior to our current academic system, which isolates people from reality in little theoretical circles where reality is discussed but not directly influenced or experienced, as they are shielded by academia from normal jobs, housing, obligations, etc. It is also superior to the democratic system of picking the "most popular" leader, because it is easy to be popular by making illusory promises and acting covertly for one's own profit.

The scary thing is....

That could be our fate!

I for one cannot support that. No true representation, no way!

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Democratic societies start with good intentions but rapidly degrade to selfishness. The vector of choice is the individual, and individuals become accustomed to being fooled by their leaders and the lobbies that oligarchs covertly establish, and for that reason shrug and start acting for their own interests. Society becomes a marketplace of individual material interest. At this point, every known avenue for "the common good" has become corrupt and so people give up on it, and then forget they've given up. They labor in a negativity of outlook brightened only by the thought of personal material acquisition. This enables society to decay until it is near third-world levels of disorganization and criminality and corruption, at which point a "strong leader" - inevitably a front man for some oligarch or another - steps in and leads it to a final state where a few avaricious parasites rule over a horde of confused, simplistic, dumb people.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by concernedcitizan

Or...a military coup occurs, and a new government is put in place.

We can't go the King route...

<< 1   >>

join