It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saturdat WWII memorial dedication

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 09:21 PM
link   
WWII memorial dedication to salute heroes
www.cnn.com...

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A highlight of the Memorial Day weekend will be Saturday's dedication of the National World War II Memorial, which caps the 16-year effort to honor the spirit and sacrifice of America's involvement in World War II.

The memorial, which opened to the public on April 29, honors the 16 million Americans who served in the U.S. armed forces during World War II, the millions who helped the war effort at home and the 405,399 men and women who gave their all in the fight against Nazism.

I mention this, because my mom and my dad, who both served in WWII will be there. Dad twice won the Bronze Star for valor and had a very distinguished military career (including service in Vietnam) before retiring in '72.

I'm proud of them both.

[Edited on 27-5-2004 by Byrd]

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Im happy this is finally finished, it is a beuatiful memorial from what Ive seen on TV. Both my grandfathers served in WWII as well as my 3rd cousin I think. Sadly he didn't survive the war. One of my grandfathers was a mechanic and the other was a glider pilot. He participated in D-Day. He passed away from lung cancer (caused by cigarettes) several years ago, but I inherited his Airborne patch witch I am very proud of.

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 10:05 PM
link   
that's awesome Byrd, well not awesome that they had to go to war, but that they made it home and now get to take part in this historic celebration.

join