It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Levitating magnet brings space physics to fusion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   
So fusion is is news these days with MIT achieving a breakthrough in fusion. And now this news that MIT is significantly close to reproducing the magnetic field of the earth. It has now for the first time been created in a laboratory.

With this fusion space travel is likely to become more longer and more distant because we could have fusion reactors in space, and that too with the earth's magnetic field.

Tests on a machine that mimics a planet’s magnetic field show that it may offer an ‘alternative path’ to taming nuclear fusion for power generation.

A new experiment that reproduces the magnetic fields of the Earth and other planets has yielded its first significant results. The findings confirm that its unique approach has some potential to be developed as a new way of creating a power-producing plant based on nuclear fusion

The results, published this week in the journal Nature Physics, confirm the counter-intuitive prediction that inside the device’s magnetic chamber, random turbulence causes the plasma to become more densely concentrated — a crucial step to getting atoms to fuse together — instead of becoming more spread out, as usually happens with turbulence. This “turbulent pinching” of the plasma has been observed in the way plasmas in space interact with the Earth’s and Jupiter’s magnetic fields, but has never before been recreated in the laboratory.

SOurce: web.mit.edu...

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by sunny_2008ny

With this fusion space travel is likely to become more longer and more distant because we could have fusion reactors in space, and that too with the earth's magnetic field.

SOurce: web.mit.edu...

Why would space travel take longer?
I know that this may seem to be a silly question to some, but I just want to know.

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

Why would space travel take longer?
I know that this may seem to be a silly question to some, but I just want to know.

Well what I meant actually is that we can stay for longer times in space or on some planet with this new fusion.

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 06:57 AM
link   
O.K, that makes sense to me know.
p.s.
Would you mind reading my thread
www.abovetopsecret.com...
It deals with the super collider, and magnetics, possibly fusion too.
Thanks.

new topics

top topics

join