It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why People Believe Strange Things.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 02:47 AM
link   
I apologize.

Forgive my lack of understanding.

To re-weigh in, please let me add that people are frightened by crop circles, fascinated by them, and our finely-engineered minds need to come to whatever understanding they can, just to remain sane.

And no one has offered a reasonable solution to the crop circle situation...all of them simply could not be manmade in the usual way (rope and wood).

Personally, I believe that they are generated by sound waves. From who or where, I have very little idea. Possibly malevolent spirits who need our attention and belief in them to fully manifest in this reality.

So I think they pose as aliens, and the crop circles that are not manmade are their work, IMO, since their appearance predates HAARP technology.

If one does not believe that all were manmade, then two main choices remain: aliens, or a spiritual source, showing more physical presence than we have formerly understood.

Just my thoughts.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Copperflower
If one does not believe that all were manmade, then two main choices remain: aliens, or a spiritual source, showing more physical presence than we have formerly understood.

Just my thoughts.

If one does not believe that all were manmade, then anything goes.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher-In-The-Shadows
Reply to post by atlasastro

Okay. Perhaps the former rather than the latter. Even if only by choice.... But a fool always is able to hide that he is one from himself. It's latter not later.
I agree and there is no use in your hiding Mr. Shadow, I was plain in my self assessment.

I told you I was not too bright.
But I am bright enough to leave a hook on the end of my post...um I mean line, perhaps it was the later. O.k. You are the best.
No I mean it, dude, I think you are the best. Seriously.

1) Hm. Maybe because you are arguing it isn't subjective?
You are arguing.
Are you saying the meaning of the word is entirely based on the subjectivity of the user and thus the word has no meaning but that which it is used for in any given circumstance or instance? Example- I would like a cup of strange. In this case subjectively I use the word strange to define coffee.

Or are you saying that people use the word strange because it carries a general or universal meaning, but that the actual subject described as strange will be different from person to person? It is the subject that then carries the strange definition but is not definitive of the term strange given that its strangeness is subjective?
Like- it is strange to believe the word strange means coffee or This coffee seems strange. This coffee is from a strange place. That person believes strange means coffee, some people believe strange things.

That somehow what you consider strange should be and is universally so?
The definition, I would say is, and I have. Can I have a cup of strange dude, this is thirsty work.
This is what you said:

1) The definition is not universal. Every word could and does mean slightly different things to each individual. Particularly such terms as "normal", "strange" and etc as they are dependent upon the individual as to what fits whatever term.

People use terms to describe. In this instance, someone used the word strange. The word strange has a definition, it has a meaning.
It appears pretty universal. As the word is used in the video, the presenter used the word strange to describe certain beliefs because it has a specific meaning that would be generally understood, by and large known, broadly speaking. Dare I say Universal or common, widespread, accepted, general or generic, usual.
I hope that clarifies my use of the term universal in relation to the definition of the term strange.

But as I said before, whatever dude. You are right, you are the best.

But I imagine you have a wonderfully self gratifying and wholly derogatory to me assessment as to why I am disagreeing. And shall we look at this universal meaning that you fail to cite save invoking links?
You mean like calling some one a self righteous loud mouthed fool. Do you mean a wholly self gratifying derogatory assessment like that?
Its cool, being that you are the best, I guess you can label anyone a self righteous loud mouthed fool.

I gave you three links to the definition. Three. All you can do is point out the etymology from the latin. Which points out specific meaning, conveying a general understanding, universal some would say.
Whilst other fools will squabble with pithy declarations that someone use the word subjectively and this use will vary from person to person, this subjectivity does not change the meaning that would be generally understood, by and large known, broadly speaking. Dare I say Universal or common, widespread, accepted, general or generic, usual.
I hope that clarifies my use of the term universal in relation to the definition of the term strange.

Which begs the question, why even bother with a dictionary. Who needs a definition when it is ones subjectivity that defines words.
You are the best Watcher in the Shadows.

Did you fail to understand the word strange?

I think you just can't handle the video. Perhaps you took it personally. The vitriol of your original post says as much. It is not strange to feel this way. Perhaps you believe the topics that the video discusses and label strange?
Do you need a hug, come on dude, you are not strange, no really, I mean that.
You are the best dude.

Wow imagine that. Steeped in the terms of subjectivity. Like those other ones. 
]Are you saying that you misunderstood what I said due to the subjective nature or etymology of the words I used, or are you relying on the general or universal definitions regarding those words? hmm....strange.  

2) By infering that I must do such in order to say we are limited. Which is definantly the more ludicris claim.

You cannot imagine my mirth. I really enjoy reading the squabble you present in arguing which is more ludicris, or is it ludicrous? I think it is the later!
Your point was ridiculous, and unnecessary. I gave it back to you, and now you are actually trying to convince yourself that my comment is the more ludicris, or is it ludicrous, I think it is the later. I'll have to check the spelling latter! Anyway, where was I? Oh. I know my comment was ludicrous, I told you it was. I was ludicrous on purpose. What is your excuse, given you agree, that there is such a ludicrous nature to your post that you need to distinguish between who is the more ludicrous as the only means of differentiating yourself.
I still think you are the best.

The rest. Well, you're not worth sacrficing sleep to counter your childish taunts and distortions and I do work tonight. So good day.

Come on dude, I thought I had the benefit of your doubt.
As for the childish taunts, well, I know my audience.
What was that subjective ramble you used to set the level that we are playing at again?
Oh yeah-Self-righteous loudmouthed fool.

Anyway, as I have said before, whatever dude.
You are the best,
And when I use the word best, I subjectively mean joke. Don't try and put a definition up. I don't care. The word best means joke, given my subjectivity.

So, you are the best.

Thanks for the reply, catch you later! Or is that latter?

One more time for the best.
The word strange described certain beliefs because it has a specific meaning that would be generally understood, by and large known, broadly speaking. Dare I say Universal or common, widespread, accepted, general or generic, usual.

[edit on 9/2/10 by atlasastro]

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Copperflower

Thanks for dropping by again.

I understand the Crop Circle phenomena has many beliefs associated with it.
You raise some interesting points.

But this thread is regarding a broader topic unfortunately, so I won't get into the CC phenomena.
There is a link in my sig to my thoughts regarding CC's. Feel free to add you thoughts.

Thanks again.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

Well, I think that is pretty much why some consider a belief in Alien created crop circles as being strange.
Injecting "anything" to fill the void would result in "strange" explanations.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join