It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the Vietnam war being used for pro-war propaganda?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Now, I know that some of you might be wondering, am I crazy here? I used to think that aside from the war in Iraq the war in Vietnam was the only bad war in the Cold War. Little to my knowledge, we have intervened in many other countries under many different pretenses, and, we've interfered with elections around the world and we've placed fascist dictators in power under the name of communism or Islamofascism.

I think that the war in Vietnam is just propaganda for the state because now mostly everyone thinks that the war in Vietnam and Iraq was the only bad thing we did... but very few people know about the real history about our military and what it has done. They just think that people who complained about CIA coups around the world are just hippies, and, that, nothing that they say is truth, and that it's just movies it must be based on fiction and that we could never have done such things. Well, let me tell you that such views are not delusional, nor, should they be only held by hippies... everyone deserves the truth. Let me open your eyes to the REAL history of the military, and, what it's really done.

It wasn't only about communism

So I ask now that you've seen my case: Is the Vietnam war just pro-war propaganda intended to make people forget about the past, and, our past crimes and our present crimes? What's your opinion?

[edit on 31-1-2010 by Frankidealist35]

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 12:43 AM
link   
I guess it depends on how one saw the Vietnam "Conflict". I use conflict as Congress did not declare war and thus it was not officially a war. Given that, it was a war in all means and rights.

I sat down, during my time in the Air Force with a retired general that was active during the Vietnam Conflict. It was an interesting time that I spent with him as I believe I brought up questions he was not prepared for. Given that I was given candid and honest answers.

I asked him how he felt about the war. He told me that he felt it all messed up and that we went about it in the wrong way. We felt we had enough political influence and military might to bend the will of people regardless.

He also told me though that the underlying factor of the conflict (war) was to hold at bay Communist expansion. I feel it was a noble cause that went entirely South as quick as the Groundhog hides from his shadow!

Now looking back, I wish I either took notes or I had a tape recorder as he was living history from a military point of view on the situation.

Sorry if this is a bit off topic.

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   
The Vietnam War was the historic turning point for America.

Before Vietnam, America was seen as the world leader of freedom and democracy against Communism.

But there were so many atrocities and war crimes that all of America's allies abandoned America after Vietnam.

Historic allies such as Canada, Australia and New Zealand have never since Vietnam, fought beside America in any American war.

Australia Canada and New Zealand are still members of the United Nations, as is America. So we still fight in wars sanctioned by the United Nations.

But Australia Canada and New Zealand, have NEVER over the last forty years participated in any war or invasion started by America, and NEVER WILL AGAIN.

So we were all there for Gulf War One, all fifty UN nations were there.
But NOT for the current illegal and totally immoral war in Iraq.

We are all there in Afghanistan, because that too is a multinational UN war.

But any bombing of Iran will get zero help from any other nation besides Israel.

America now has no allies left, even Israel will not fight beside America.
Britain is now finished with America too when it pulled completely out of Iraq.
Where are the Israeli defense forces in Iraq or Afghanistan ?

So the Vietnam war was really the historic turning point where the rest of the world world turned its back on America and all of its senseless, useless, and immoral wars for profit.

[edit on 31/1/2010 by Silver Shadow]

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Silver Shadow

Here's what I think about that. I think if we just did the Vietnam war people wouldn't have been too mad at us. They would have gotten mad because the war was an imperialist war, and, they would have gotten upset to know that we had supported dictatorships in South Vietnam- which is where the resistance was starting... that caused the people in North Vietnam to resist against our intervention.

But... we've had way more interventions in other countries other than the Vietnam war. So people were already mad at us for those wars. I think if we hadn't done anything wrong people wouldn't be as mad at the war, because, they would be equally mad at other wars. So... but they're not mad at other wars- and the majority of people's attention is focused on the Vietnam war as the one bad war... and history books don't talk about other interventions that were wrong... so we never really can move on from the past, and we act like we don't know why people hate us. Do you kind of see what I'm saying? I think the Vietnam war blinds people from the other bad wars.

top topics

join