It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why aren't we doing this NOW???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I've been looking at your posts and videos about the winter storms. As I was reading my local news about the train controversy in ohio, I wondered why the obama money for this proposed train system wasn't being spent on a central Ohio underground emergency shelter. We have farmland on the outskirts of Columbus which could be used as a central location for this if only one per state was budgeted. WHY is it that only the elite and military will have access to underground shelter in case of a catastrophy??? The people who are now freezeing due to power outtages in Oklahoma could sure use one of these shelters about now. What if there is a large scale emergency such as , earthquake or floods? Ok how about deadly nerve gas or a dirty bomb? Hurricane Katrina people had no where to go. Haiti people have no where to go. What if there was a 8.9 earthquake in california? Could surrounding states house the survivors even short term??? The answer is NO. New Madrid earthquake? Earth changes? If you think Haiti is bad now, just wait till we have something bigger here involving millions of people. I dont understand what we are doing wasting money on a useless war or a stupid train that nobody will ride due to the inconvienent locations etc. Why people why? Why are we not building these underground emergency shelters now?????

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Magantice

Because money is better spent in reality-land than entertaining the paranoid fantasies of a very small minority. I agree about the wasted money on the war(s), but there are many, many, many things this country could fund before the consideration of 50 huge underground shelters. One more example of fear clouding people's judgment.

Have you been to any other countries? It's about time we upgraded our transportation and infrastructure to a less laughable state. A good defense is our best response to terrorist threats, and that means a strong infrastructure that allows us to bounce back ASAP in the event of a tragedy.

Best,
Skunknuts

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   

The people that are holding that kind of money to build these bunkers

already have their spots in Bunkers ready.

You Are On Your Own.

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sean48

The people that are holding that kind of money to build these bunkers

already have their spots in Bunkers ready.

You Are On Your Own.

Hello,
I always agree with what Sean48 says, even now, I'd like to add to what he said a little. This is in my own view...
The reason why these people have the money for there own bunkers is because you and I have been paying taxes for them to afford it. If not taxes, we've still financed their agenda in one form or another. They need to survive so that they can continue their thievery. (sarcasm? No!)

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I have a feeling I am going to step in it here. But I agree with Skunknut. I feel that first of all these people know what kind of weather to expect and are told over and over again to prepare for such things (Katrina, California earthquakes, tornado alley, the coasts - hurricanes etc). short of governemnt totally taking over and forcing everyone to take the necessary precautions would be in direct violation of our rights to choose. and to be frank I would not want to be underground during an earthquake or a flood that was built by the lowest bidder - youve heard all the jokes regarding that little gem. Even if such shelters were available, properly built, with the proper facilities needed, I still would not go, simply because of my complete faith in mankind somehow screwing it up (child molesters, etc in a shelter with my children - dont think so). Also, during the Cuban Missile crisis many families built their own underground shelters, they were not rich, they worked at night and on the weekends, and did it themselves. In a utopian world we could have above / under ground shelters in strategic locations, but in the real world there would be many legal battles, what districts/counties go to which shelter, land rights, imminent domain, drilling rights, who gets the contract, what about our criminal element, who qualifies, and who does the qualifying, and who will be the new Czar for that position?

I guess to sum it up, if there needs to be a shelter made I would rather build it myself.

Also, I do ride the trains.

Casing

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Well, maybe I'm wrong. I just figure if the SHTF then perhaps some of the citizens might stand a chance of survival. Pehaps you are right....

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Magantice, its not a matter if right or wrong, its just what IS. Maybe this winter storm will wake up a few people and they will prepare themselves because of it. People in the midwest are a tough breed as it is! Besides, if I remember right they do have shelters available, FEMA takes over the schools and other public buildings, and those with medical issues are placed on a list of whom they personally check on. That train system they are building will help considerably later when TSHTF (especially if local!) with being able to bring in those supplies to those very areas that were considered inconvenient.

Keep your heart right where it is Magantice, you care, and that is getting rare these days.

Casing

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Magantice
I've been looking at your posts and videos about the winter storms. As I was reading my local news about the train controversy in ohio, I wondered why the obama money for this proposed train system wasn't being spent on a central Ohio underground emergency shelter. We have farmland on the outskirts of Columbus which could be used as a central location for this if only one per state was budgeted. WHY is it that only the elite and military will have access to underground shelter in case of a catastrophy??? The people who are now freezeing due to power outtages in Oklahoma could sure use one of these shelters about now. What if there is a large scale emergency such as , earthquake or floods? Ok how about deadly nerve gas or a dirty bomb? Hurricane Katrina people had no where to go. Haiti people have no where to go. What if there was a 8.9 earthquake in california? Could surrounding states house the survivors even short term??? The answer is NO. New Madrid earthquake? Earth changes? If you think Haiti is bad now, just wait till we have something bigger here involving millions of people. I dont understand what we are doing wasting money on a useless war or a stupid train that nobody will ride due to the inconvienent locations etc. Why people why? Why are we not building these underground emergency shelters now?????

the federals abandoned all of us some 35 years back... and think about it... the russians are still improving their CD facilities as are the chinese and several other nations....

we are going to end up being on our own and if a person is not ready... well there is little to be said...

A very large amount of the population has built their own shelters but many are nothing more than death traps.... there is far more involved than just building a facility that wil protect you... so much more... most do not think about a good many things...

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Casing
Magantice, its not a matter if right or wrong, its just what IS. Maybe this winter storm will wake up a few people and they will prepare themselves because of it. People in the midwest are a tough breed as it is! Besides, if I remember right they do have shelters available, FEMA takes over the schools and other public buildings, and those with medical issues are placed on a list of whom they personally check on. That train system they are building will help considerably later when TSHTF (especially if local!) with being able to bring in those supplies to those very areas that were considered inconvenient.

Keep your heart right where it is Magantice, you care, and that is getting rare these days.

Casing

Thank you for saying my heart is in the right place. My point is this, if Hurricane Katrina was any indication of what kind of help people will get from FEMA the we are in trouble. Lets say a really big quake hit california. Where do all the survivors go? Some arena somewhere??? No there has to be a better plan. What if someone set off a dirty bomb in wash DC ?? Wouldnt it call for evacuation of the city IF there was any survirors? How do you send 100,000 quake survivors from california to an arena or school gym?? No we are not planning ahead is all Im saying. But if something does happen, call me from the arena to come and get you.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   

The powers that be want the people to die.They won't spend a dime on
those they don't need.These people will be on their own,with no hope.
They have to get off their sofas and from in front of their TV's.Join sites
such as ATS,learn how to take care of themselves.They need to stop
looking to our government to help them in an emergency.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

I disagree. In this case, the problem isn't the government. Its the people. It would be virtually impossible to sell the general public on the idea of spending tens of billions of dollars...per state...to build an extensive shelter and emergency provision system that a) might never be used and b) realistically, could only accomodate a small percentage of the population.

Don't get me wrong. I'd be fully in favor of it. The problem is, most of the general public is interested only in instant gratification. I'm sure they'd support the idea on paper, but once the tax bill started to come due, they'd quickly lose interest in it, and perhaps vehemently oppose it once they realize that, realistically, it could never take everyone in the event of a crisis.

[edit on 1-2-2010 by vor78]

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by vor78

Did you notice that I said the population has to get off their sofas? Maybe,
stop watching dances with the stars.Get a dose of reality before it bites their behinds.Too many look to the government to help them in an emergency.We, have become a nation, that has lost the ability to be self
sufficient.We have become a welfare state,dependent on the government.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   

I was disagreeing with your assertion that it is the government's fault and that they 'want us to die'. The real problem is a lack of willpower amongst the populace and on that count, you're right, but that's ultimately the reason that the government doesn't bother with it, not any ill-intent or intentional neglect. Our elected representatives are too interested in getting re-elected to propose it and our people are too interested in who wins American Idol to even care.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by vor78

Eventually,TPTB,will do what they can to reduce the population. Our elected officials have their own agenda and the general population won't
fit in with their plans.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by vor78

I disagree. In this case, the problem isn't the government. Its the people. It would be virtually impossible to sell the general public on the idea of spending tens of billions of dollars...per state...to build an extensive shelter and emergency provision system that a) might never be used and b) realistically, could only accomodate a small percentage of the population.

Don't get me wrong. I'd be fully in favor of it. The problem is, most of the general public is interested only in instant gratification. I'm sure they'd support the idea on paper, but once the tax bill started to come due, they'd quickly lose interest in it, and perhaps vehemently oppose it once they realize that, realistically, it could never take everyone in the event of a crisis.

[edit on 1-2-2010 by vor78]

I agree... most americans are stuck in a comfort zone and many (if not a huge amount) do not want anything to interfere with that area... whether it is a terrorist attack or a fire down the street... if it intrudes with that area , they are not going to listen...

we have become a nation that is really not interested in to much except what is going on on the TV or radio, texting or road rage. There is little to no interest in staying alive and all to many have the ignorant mentality of ..." the government will take care of us...and if that is not true, then why would they make us so dependent upon them".

these people irritate me to no end.... I have always used an old biblical scripture for these people... I do not remember where it is at in the bible... but it goes something like this.... "consider the ant and her ways"

what do ants do? They prepare for hard times and they put away food and they defend what is theres..... perhaps people could take a lesson from a small but highly organized creature...

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Well i have the knowledge to build a simple bunker/shelter against most things, but havent the cash to spare so will wait till things start to decline in my country then do what must be done to secure the materials.

& hope & pray i get it done in time lol

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rogueduke
Well i have the knowledge to build a simple bunker/shelter against most things, but havent the cash to spare so will wait till things start to decline in my country then do what must be done to secure the materials.

& hope & pray i get it done in time lol

It might appear to be a difficult task you are looking at... however if you can put a small amount of items that you are going to need each week or month... you will be surprised at how soon it is before you have a stash of solid foods and gear you are going to need... call it prepping on a budget...

I know financial times are rough and getting worse for all of us... but if you make that effort and stick to it.... you are going to be surprised...

If i can be of any help in guiding you or answer questions.. please do not wait to ask.... just PM me and onwards we go...

BTW... my lady is british and comes from Oxford... lord knows how she ended up with an old retired Army Seargent Major..... well not really that old

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Yeah, I learned that after Katrina. I had never believed it when people said that before.

new topics

top topics

join