It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1 of Every 75 U.S. Men in Prison

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 07:46 PM
link   
"America's inmate population grew by 2.9 percent last year, to almost 2.1 million people, with one of every 75 men living in prison or jail.

The inmate population continued its rise despite a fall in the crime rate and many states' efforts to reduce some sentences, especially for low-level drug offenders.

The report issued Thursday by the Justice Department's Bureau of Justice Statistics attributes much of the increase to get-tough policies enacted during the 1980s and '90s, such as mandatory drug sentences, "three-strikes-and-you're-out" laws for repeat offenders, and "truth-in-sentencing" laws that restrict early releases."

Read the rest of the story

This is disturbing to me. I wanted to see what others think of this. Do people really believe that so many of our neighbors deserve to live in jail? Mostly, for non-violent crimes. The constitution was written, letting you do whatever you want in your own privacy, as long as you don't violate the rights of others. Yes, doing drugs in the privacy of your home may be bad for your health (as are many legal things), but is living in jail a better alternative? Would 5-20 years in jail change your mind about doing drugs? Or would you come out feeling that you have nothing to lose, and do it anyway? Or would you come out a worse criminal? For most people, jail doesn't seem that bad. But if you've been there, or know someone who has, you have a different opinion.

I think we need a less strict policy for NON-violent crimes. Yes, if you are a danger to the public, you need to be locked up. But if your "crime" doesn't affect me, why should we lock you up, feeding and clothing you with taxpayer money? Just my opinion. Anyone else have thoughts?

"The nation's incarceration rate tops the world"

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 07:58 PM
link   
wow i really wasnt expecting the number to be that high

and its not good news that it is growing, interesting find though

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 07:58 PM
link   
you tell if this is right around 5 yrs ago I had to serve 90 days in a local jail for driving while suspened...and 1 yr on probation....may be if I had shot the officer I would not had to a to jail at all

but a sex ofender does'nt go to jail ...now tell me who is the threat

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 10:15 PM
link   
the goverment is clamping down on us in an effort to have more control. its going to get worse before it gets better. the worse the economy gets the more crime there will be.

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 10:18 PM
link   
The more serious offenders need to be executed, we will not feed them forever.

The less serious offenders should do labor that will benefit the people of the USA.

Problem solved.

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I always believed we should reduce laws to those that only effect others(ie. robbery, assults, etc.) but toughen up the punishment.

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I was suprised to hear that. It is disturbing, but what can be done without executing people as PolskieWojsko suggested?

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sterling46
I was suprised to hear that. It is disturbing, but what can be done without executing people as PolskieWojsko suggested?

Despite being incarcerated, inmates in the U.S. get a suprisingly large amount of ammentities. Some have Color T.V., air conditioning, commissary(soups, candy, foods, etc.), weightlifting, religious services, movies...

Many of these things can be taken away, forcing a more strict and unpleasant environment.

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Does anyone know how this compares w/ other famous, historical "police" states? Like how many people were in prison during Stalin's reign? or during Hitler's??

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 03:44 AM
link   
This is already posted and being discussed in another thread.

Here is a link.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Its better to follow and discuss the same news in one thread. In the link above you will find that its not so bad compared to what is happening in other parts of the world.

[Edited on 29-5-2004 by Muaddib]

top topics

join