It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama: Time for 'painful choices' in deficit battle

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   

rawstory.com

US President Barack Obama on Saturday promised to rein the burgeoning US budget deficit, saying it was now time for Americans of different political persuasions "to come together" to solve this problem.

"Because we've heard plenty of talk and a lot of yelling on TV about deficits, and it's now time to come together and make the painful choices we need to eliminate those deficits," Obama said in his weekly radio address.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Memo to President Obama, just in case he has suffered a major attack of economic ADD.

We the People didn't bankrupt this country; the government did it by funding these wars without end, through successive administrations, including yours.

There is a momentous and burgeoning anger among the middle class voters who actually believed you might keep at least some of your campaign promises.

They are working longer hours (if they are fortunate enough to find a job), for less money, and taxed almost to death as it is.

Your statement in that radio speech about "...it was now time for Americans of different political persuasions "to come together" to solve this problem.' is going to make these voters furious, because they understand precisely where such a statement is leading; to a sharp upturn in their taxes, which you promised in your campaign speeches you wouldn't do, as witnessed here on youtube:
www.youtube.com...

Mr. President, as this country teeters on the brink of financial default, this might be a good time to end these wars without end .

Iraq is a complete mess, on the keening edge of a new civil war, and Afghanistan.... please, don't get me started on what a charlie foxtrot that has become.

Stop the wars. Start rebuilding our infrastructure, here at home. Find a way to stop outsourcing, particularly in our manufacturing sector.

These wars do not protect our country; investing in our own infrastructure will, and it will be one heck of a lot cheaper.

Who knows ? This direction might even get you re-elected.

rawstory.com

[edit on 30-1-2010 by Longbob]

[edit on 30-1-2010 by Longbob]

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Let´s see if he vetos the bill which raises the debt ceiling by another $1,9 trillion which just passed the Senate and is on it´s way to the House for approval. If he doesn´t, then he´s a definite one termer.

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I told everybody six years ago that the economy had 5 - 10 years left in it. Look at the conditions the IMF and World Bank impose on countries that take out loans. Then look at the economic and energy policies this country has adopted over the last twenty years.

We aren't on the verge of anything. We are being guided down a slope in to the new fuedalism. Those holding offices of power have forgotten the lessons of the British and Roman empires.

Actually they may have learned them all too well.

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Great, so because of our government choosing to spend irresponsibly, there are now going to be some 'painful choices' that WE once again have no say in, and that WE once again are going to have the burden of carrying.

I can only speculate what he has in mind at this point. You know, it kind of sucks, I didn't vote for him, but I still have to put up with his BS!

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I have a solution to the debt.

It seems as though Uncle Sam is paying ME 8,000 dollars for a refund on this years IRS tax .

That is A LOT of money for me. And yes I will blow it off in a couple of weeks. (being realistic).

Now I am assuming that the IRS also pays (at least ) 8000 dollars for other citizens in my situation. (making less than 30 grand a year with 3 kids ).

So let us say that 50 million people ( One Sixth ) of the population got this same 8000 dollar refund, (or higher). How much would that save the USA debt?

Let us figure it out. 50,000,000 X 8,000 = 400,000,000,000 DOLLARS

Now , if the USA would stop paying ME and everyone else 8000 dollars a year, would this country be in better shape????

You tell me.

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
In my opinion, and it took me some time to actually come to grips with this , but a GREAT way to fix on our country's deficit is.....

ELIMINATE WELFARE PROGRAMS

Now I may sound hypocritcal ( I am a single mother with three kids who has benefitted off welfare programs ) but in all honesty, we have to stop this "crippling" of our citizens...

the truth is many of the women who get on welfare, tend to remain there. Lets face the truth: a mother on welfare is most likely to have 3 or more kids and out of those children one or more are going to grow up on the system raising kids of their own on the sytem, and so on and so forth....

A solution would be to 'offer' abortions....yes abortions....as part of Health Care reform.....abortions to those single mothers who are on thier third or more child who are already most likely going to have to need increased food stamps as well.....

think about it......they will also need the State to endlessly search for absent fathers to bring into court to pay child support...That costs to pay a workforce to do that job when that purpose can be eliminated...

a. offer state-funded abortions
b. if a mother refuses, then explain that she will be responsible for that child's needs into adulthood
c. food stamps /welfare should only be given for a set time

I know I may have come off very harsh, but his is what Obama means when he says "painful choices"....it will cost way less to pay, say, $300.00 for an abortion than $20,000.00 for 18 yrs per child plus hire depts to look for absent fathers...Now every father SHOULD be lawfully repsonsible to financially support their children. So if a woman can succesfuly provide location for him, let the State subpoena him to court and hold him responsible.......and we gotta admit that world is truly "overly populated" menaing we have far too many people and far less resources to sustain them.

Basically , this plan is really to FORCE both women and men to be more RESPONISIBLE when laying down to make children....

[edit on 30-1-2010 by ButterCookie]

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
He should start by eliminating any and all forms of "entitlement" programs and foreign aid.

That right there would be more than any president in recent memory has ever done.

I wont be holding my breath though, since Obama believes we are a redistributive economy.

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Ways to fix the economy

1. End bull# pointless wars in Iraq and Afghanistan

2. Re-instate the Small Business Administration (one of the main reasons small business died over night in America was our fearless leader's brilliant idea to destroy the SBA)

3. Legalize and tax Marijuana and all hemp related products. End the Drug War.

4. Fire and then publicly try Ben Bernake and Tim Geitner in a court of law

5. Institute employment programs for grads leaving college and entering technical or science fields.

6. Tariffs on all imports that have a domestic equivalent

7. Introduce Fair Play laws which prohibit trusts and monopolies from stepping upon and burying smaller competition.

8. Offer loans and help to entrepreneur and companies that wish to expand manufacturing or other key industry jobs.

9. Improve education

10. Begin a modern equivalent of the WPA, to do public works projects, help build communities, and give working people an opportunity to make money and get experience in a new trade.

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by wiredamerican

That would be a quick way to stir up a hornet nest. People would go crazy. The country would not be in better shape. If you think about it, the refund is a form of stimulus itself. People buy, taxes are paid, and jobs are saved.

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
It's just now time? Great. I wonder who those yelling people on tv are. DARN YOU TO HELL PHOX NEWS.

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
And for the most painful choice of all:

Cut salaries of our Pseudo Royalty.

Prez and wife to be moved into moderate sized apartment with no more than 3 domestic servants.
Similar for other "elected" officials on all levels of government.
Big Rollback on retirement payments for retired Senators and Reps.
They get no more than the highest of the Social Security Payments the rest of us get.
Likewise they are to either pay for private Health Insurance or go into an HMO/Medicare.

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Longbob

rawstory.com

US President Barack Obama on Saturday promised to rein the burgeoning US budget deficit, saying it was now time for Americans of different political persuasions "to come together" to solve this problem.

"Because we've heard plenty of talk and a lot of yelling on TV about deficits, and it's now time to come together and make the painful choices we need to eliminate those deficits," Obama said in his weekly radio address.

Oh Christ, he just killed Americas return to the moon. Very stupid and very short sighted. I guess if Bush had not gotton us in to two wars costing well over a trillion dollars we would have more cash to spare. Why is going back to the moon so important? Because every nation and it's brother is going there and we need to stake our claim. And in 1,000 years the nation that establishes the first permanent colony will be rememberd. Mr. President, your medical bills and so many other things you do will be lost to history...

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by arbiture

Originally posted by Longbob

rawstory.com

Oh Christ, he just killed Americas return to the moon. Very stupid and very short sighted. I guess if Bush had not gotton us in to two wars costing well over a trillion dollars we would have more cash to spare. Why is going back to the moon so important? Because every nation and it's brother is going there and we need to stake our claim. And in 1,000 years the nation that establishes the first permanent colony will be rememberd. Mr. President, your medical bills and so many other things you do will be lost to history...

And why have the wars cost over a trillion dollars ? Upon *Snip* election the overall cost was approximately 650 billion. Rather than blame it all on Bush (who does deserve his fair shame of the blame, I'll grant you), wouldn't it be more realistic to accept that it was *Snip* who doubled the amount of troops in Afghanistan this year ? AND increased the number of mercenary contractors exponentially, (that's where the biggest costs lie).

Actually, the moon really isn't that important. We already staked our claim to the moon back in 1969 (Apollo 11). We already have that technology; (the tech that NASA is willing to let the public in on, that is).

Now we need to send manned flights to Mars and elsewhere. That is how we will keep on developing new technologies. New tech that other nations will want to buy from us as they did in the past.

(2) Alterations of a politicians name, or any other high-profile political figure, for disparaging political effect is not allowed, including within member avatars and signatures.

Reaffirming Our Desire For Productive Political Debate (REVISED)

[edit on 1/31/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Fixing the economy is easy, but the oligarchs will pass the pain onto you and I to preserve the crippling status quo.. rather than jam a tampon in the bleeding they alone cause daily.

End govt sanctioned violence tomarrow, announce a cessation of hostilities and march out. Close most, if not all, of the empires bases, then cut the military & fed govt by 50% on the way to becoming a pacifist republic.

Oh yea, end the war on drugs, replace 1/3rd of paid professional politicians with citizen statesmen who serve with minimum compensation like jury duty and sue israel, GOP, DNC, KBR, federal reserve and ALL the major powers within the wall street military industrial complex under RICO to recover the billions those criminals have fleeced from tax payers.

This place could be saved if tptb employed the wisdom of historic lessons, some common sense and displayed an iota of legit empathy for 'the people'.. but those million/billionaires don't relate to, care, or give one flying fornication about us.. never have, never will.

Edit / add: keep voting GOP or DNC and the oligarchs will continue to get and do anything and everything they want.. at your colored cloth on a stick waving expense... while laughing at how simple it is to divide and conquer those who insist on self inflicted ignorance.

[edit on 30-1-2010 by GovtFlu]

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by GovtFlu

Good post, GF. It is certainly true that the last act of a crooked government is to loot the nation. History tells us that with dozens of examples.

top topics

join