It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hippo Saves Impala From Crocodile

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Just came across this and wanted to share it with ATS. Nature at it's best. Even Animals are courageous and protect other animals. I won't ruin your surprise, do see it till the end.

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
This amazing, i've never seen anything like this and to be honest i would'nt of thought animals cared for each other like that.

Is it just me or do we get taught about animals negatively.
Thanks for the video.

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Wow great find! In my mind this just proves animals are far more intelligent than we normally believe them to be. Dare I say showing signs of sentience?

BIG S&F!

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
aaww, you didn't warn it had a sad ending
)
) Good on the Hippo all the same, Hippos rock.

Here's one that has a happy ending.
I'm sure you've all probably seen it, but it's worth watching if you haven't. 2 Crocodiles and a pride of Lions, try to munch up on 1 young buffalo. The herd of Buffalo have other plans and rescue their young calf, kicking some Lion ass in the process.

THIS, is nature in action. (with a happy ending)

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Hippos are very territorial - and are apt to attack most anything they think is a threat if it gets too close. They are actually widely considered the most dangerous animal in Africa due to the number of deaths they are responsible for.

Croc's will sometimes take a baby hippo, but they do so at very high risk. Usually Hippos and Croc's don't clash - unless there is a baby involved. Then it is game on and most of the time the hippo wins. Maybe this ones protective instincts kicked in.

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
That was an awesome video , I had no Idea they did that. It somehow made my day a little happier.

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
here is one where a lioness saves a antelope.
I guess the lion turn vegetarian.
Link;www.telegraph.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Another video of a Dog risking his own life to save another Dog.

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solar.Absolution
In my mind this just proves animals are far more intelligent than we normally believe them to be. Dare I say showing signs of sentience?
One of the problems is that we do not have a way of knowing what intelligence really starts or ends, and from what I have seen, all of the more evolved animals have a lot in common in their behaviours.

Even yesterday or the day before I was talking about something I saw some years ago that showed it perfectly to me. I saw a dog going down the same street where I was, and he saw a dog lying on the side-walk, next to a wall. That dog was dead, he was probably hit by a car, but the other dog didn't understood it until he reached the dead dog. As soon as the dog understood that the other one was dead, it was clear to everyone watching it (as far as I know I was the only one) that the dog was afraid that he could be killed by the same thing that had killed the other dog; he started running and looking around him with a scared look and quickly disappeared from my view.

That showed to me how close our reactions are to the events of our lives.

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by December_Rain

This is awesome! My aunt and uncle are Primatologists in Britain Professors Lund, My aunt is curently heading the UKs primatology dept. one of the conversations we had was about wether or not primates showed spontaneous creation of tools or entertainment, she scoffed at it, 4 months later I got an apology letter stating she had returned to her studies and found young female primates using bark as a baby dolls, while the males have rudimentary dominance games that are played with stones. Why is this relatory to your post, Its that I believe that we are just now as a scientific people beginning to understand what "un-civilized" cultures have always known, the animals have their own personalities and creative being within them just as much as we do. This Hippo proves there are more to the inter-relations of species in the animal kingdom.

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I like a good animal story as much as the next person but that is some of the worst editing I have ever seen.

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Yeh sadly, unlike corporations and multi million dollar politicians..wildlife is not cared for in comparison. Hence, the poor equipments.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by December_Rain

Sorry December.

What I meant was it didn't look like the hippo was saving the impala at all. Just edited to look that way.

If anything, it looked like a hippo attacking an impala, they selected certain shots.

I am not even sure the scenes are the same body of of water. One edge of the water is sloped, the othe is flat.

I love animals enough to not give them human qualities. Hippos are very dangerous, very territorial creatures. I would face off with a lion then a hippo any day.

Like people who claim they were rescued from drowning by dolphins. When most likely the dolphins were just playing with them without consideration.

And you don't hear the stories of the people who got pushed AWAY from shore by dolphins.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Hippos aren't all bad.

new topics

top topics

join