It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

unknown application: qrvnsysguard.exe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
qrvnsysguard.exe

I was on the web today and somehow picked up this application when I opened a web page. The page that opened was some type of computer protection software site, iirc. I closed it right away. The file is now trying to go on the internet from my computer. My security suite is blocking it. The file will not allow me to delete it or cut and copy it to disk.

How do I get rid of this thing? I appreciate any help members can provide. Thank you in advance.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I would download and run this :

malwarebytes

This might get it.

If not, google it and see if there are removal instructions.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

Agreed. I use that little-free-treat of a program regularly and it works really well. hopefully that'll sort it out.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Yes...I have had that before and malwarebytes will get rid of it....You will also have to go through your folders and remove some manually after you run the program.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
and after you remove the bugger, consider how it got there in the first place.

if you're using internet exploder, stop. try firefox or opera.
turn off _javascript, cookies, and flash except for known-good sites.

that alone will protect you more than most other things.

also make sure you have a decent antivirus and firewall and that you keep them updated, as well as your operating system patched.

good luck and safe surfing.

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Thanks for all the tips and good advice. I am running malwarebytes and it looks like that will take care of it. In the meantime, I had renamed the file as a .dll, and that seemed to stop it from trying to access the internet. I will also look into an alternative to ie8. I run CA Security Suite, and it seems pretty good, at least it did until now.

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Icarus Rising

Any file name with sysguard.exe in it IS a virus.
If you know your stuff, you can goto the regristry files and find them and delete them immediately, if not here's a good link to help!
Get rid of Sysguard.exe
OR Here!
Also, Malware-bytes tool will help!

[edit on 30-1-2010 by havok]

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by havok

Please be careful if messing with the registry.

I've done it, but only with close supervision.

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Oh, btw, the application came in a folder named gneejg. I ran into a bit of a snag on startup this morning, I think due to having malwarebytes and CA Suite both installed. Windows didn't load all the way and I was left with just desktop background and cursor, no shortcuts, executables, or taskbar. Several restarts later, I was up and running, or should I say crawling. After uninstalling malewarebytes things were back to normal. I initially was unable to delete the gneejg folder as well, but ended up getting rid of it, too.

The funny thing with all this is the filename/foldername didn't turn up in either a Google or Yahoo search. The sysguard.exe suffix did, but not the rest of it.

Thanks again for the help. I've always been able to count on my fellow site members in a pinch. That means a lot to me. Not to go all mushy on you guys or anything [sniff, gulp! tissue]

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
That's odd. Malwarebytes free doesn't run in the background that I know of. I don't know, maybe CA didn't play well with it. You have to manually update Malwarebytes free then scan.

Usually I don't see problems with Malwarebytes free being on a machine with other Antivirus programs.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Troy

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   
It is odd. And I had just upgraded to CA 2010. I ended up uninstalling the upgrade as problems continued to plague my system throughout the day.

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
reply to post by havok

Please be careful if messing with the registry.

I've done it, but only with close supervision.

Yeah....maybe I should've mentioned that modifying registry files can be detrimental to the integrity of your OS. :shk:
Hmm....well, if you don't know what you're looking for.
Just be careful, and if its your first time, triple check what your doing.

Best advice ever, "If you're unsure, don't do it."
Its pretty bad, that sysguard.exe writes its own registry files.
Not just one, either. Usually 3 to 4. More, sometimes.

Good call, elevatedone.

Icarus Rising, I hope everything worked out for ya.
Let me know the progress!

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 06:33 AM
link   
man,firefox+adblock for the ads,noscript is kinda hard to use.
use malwarebytes and superantispyware + threadfire antivirus (all free)
get windows 7 and u should have no problems.
weere 2010 for sake,and there are still viruses?

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I did another more refined search and came up with two Windows\PCHealth\HelpCtr\DataColl\CollectedData files with the filename in them. The system won't allow me to post the pertinent excerpts from the files. The Windows search feature almost crashed after retrieving them.

[edit on 31-1-2010 by Icarus Rising]

top topics

join