It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Omega Event| Prelude

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
The Omega Event

It is the year 2083, the Sun, the very giver of life for the last billion some odd years, will be going supernova due to some unknown event. We do have the technology to save some of our species, but is 500,000 out of 10 billion actually saving anything?

Regardless, that is all we can save. We have known of this unfortunate future since the year 2053 and have prepared ten massive spaceships, which are all designed to save the entire human race, all of these craft are capable of holding 50,000 people each. The destination, a planet that orbits a star in our nearest star system, Alpha Centauri, at 95 million miles from it's Red Dwarf star. The planet has been dubbed Genesis, which our scientist think is almost just like Earth.

Luckily our technology has improved to allow a ten year transit to this star system, via anti-matter propulsion drives. However, only a select few on the planet have known of this imminent catastrophe since it's discovery 30 years ago. Some think it is a quantum anomaly, possibly due to the still mysterious “dark matter”, while others think it is an act of God. Regardless, it will happen and we are only able to save some.

The event, dubbed by scientists the “Omega Event”, is definite, the only questions remaining are who will be picked via worldwide lottery to be “saved”. The very fact of leaving nine and a half billion of our fellow humans behind to die has caused enough disputes within the newly formed world government. But what will the public's outrage be?

It is not even certain that “Genesis” is habitable, just theorized that it is. The entire ten year trip may turn out to be in vain. But regardless at least we have tried.

The Omega Event follows multiple characters through this truly tragic saga in human history. From the drama of a family struggling to come to grips with the lottery picking a two time felon and drug addict over his doctor brother, who has a young family of his own. A newly formed romance between star crossed lovers, who may have to make the ultimate sacrifice in the end. A world renown scientist, the one who discovered this 30 years ago, a starship captain who is struggling to maintain order among his ship as the Earth is destroyed. And finally the billions of people on Earth as they live out their last days, as well the hundreds of thousands of people trapped on the ships going towards an uncertain future, and many more.

The ultimate question becomes....

What would YOU do to SURVIVE?

What would you do for LOVE?

What would you do in the face of certain EXTINCTION?

What would you do to preserve the HUMAN RACE?

Will you be a HERO in the face of DISASTER?

What would you do to survive the Omega Event?

This is a “teaser” for a major work I am working on, I hope you all found it enticing, let me know what you think from what I provided. Again, I hope it was enjoyable for what little I have provided, thanks for reading...

[edit on 1/29/2010 by jkrog08]

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

Wow I want more!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by sawgunn69

Thanks man, I am anxious to hear my fellow ATS members opinions of this...

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
That's cool.
I want more!

If I were there I would stay on the planet. I would rather be on earth experiencing the event and writing songs about it to the end then spend ten years in space travelling to a planet that might not be habitable

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

That was great JKrog!!!

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
That was intriguing.I would read it.
Thanks for sharing it.

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Looks good to me. You might want to add a reason why they did not send a scouting mission or send supplies ahead over the previous 30 years.

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Thanks everyone, your kind words mean a lot. I plan on continuing work on this novel, it may turn out to be a trilogy..

Thanks again...

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Wow your a good writer, I thought that was all real. I was getting ready to freak out lol.

Anyways lets face it, if something like that did come to be, saving every single person or even most, isnt possible. I feel like babies and children should be the first to get saved. And anyone left behind should would just deal with the inevitable.

Its a fact that the sun isnt going to last forever. And this will happen sometime in the distance future. And if we dont find another planet to inhabit safely and start our race over, then were gone and thats it. It sucks to think about but thats life.

Im sure alot of people would try to be heros but there isnt much they can do I think.

top topics

join