It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

people on ats

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 05:38 PM
link   
as im sure you are all aware, access to the mud-pit has become restricted due to the increasingly aggressive and insulting nature of posting. its not the insults that annoy me, (in fact im not entirely sure how anyone could be offended by the words of someone they dont know and are never likely to meet) its the aggression.

the people who would respond in the same aggressive, inflammatory way in a face to face discussion dont bother me. its the people (generally young males i suspect) that are happy to act the big-man whilst hiding behind the absolute safety of their monitors but in real life are likely to be abject cowards, perhaps even born victims.
why do this?
to me it seems like someone living out a fantasy. in real life they are nothing. in school they are bullied, they have few friends and their bodies are week and puny. and they probably have small genitalia. but on ats, they miraculously become a new, better, person.

why cant people extend the same courtesy to fellow ats users that they would with the people they meet in real life? these people really should do just that because they are fooling nobody.

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 05:41 PM
link   
How do we know that they arent just jackasses in real life as well as on ATS??

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 05:50 PM
link   
perhaps everyone on ats is really hard in real life. but bearing in mind this is an internet conspiracy forum i find it somewhat unlikely that we're a community of battle-hardened warriors.

it seems more likely to me that there are many people on here (as on every other forum ive been on) who like to act the big man.

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I can relate to your grief, politics can be a touchy subject for some, like religion can be for others. What i hate is when you post something that is merely a statement or your opinion in a non-aggresive manner, then people respond with a personal attack. I am quite aggresive when it comes to my politics (real life and internet life), but i refrain from making it personal. But i admit guilt to calling people bigots a few times (but only after they have made bigoted remarks).

And i agree many of these people who make the personal remarks are probably trying to compesate for a lacking they have in the real world (i'm sure there are some who are genuinly just prick) and they use the internet to gain prestige and power...

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Honestly, I have, and still am in way worst message boards. I viewed the mud pit a few times and thought it pale in comparison to the interactions of these other places. It has helped me in my discourse in dealing with the worst of the worst. I didn't see the big deal in the mud pit, but that is just me.

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I dont get phased by the insults slung in the pit, i havent been to worse sites (ATS is one of the only websites i go to, i'm not online alot except at work), but i've experienced a lot worse in real life (and dished a lot worse too). Whats said in the pit is said by some guy half way around the world who usually has some mental issues, in fact i usually feel better after a dip in the mud

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by bolshevik

the people who would respond in the same aggressive, inflammatory way in a face to face discussion dont bother me. its the people (generally young males i suspect) that are happy to act the big-man whilst hiding behind the absolute safety of their monitors but in real life are likely to be abject cowards, perhaps even born victims.
why do this?
to me it seems like someone living out a fantasy. in real life they are nothing. in school they are bullied, they have few friends and their bodies are week and puny. and they probably have small genitalia. but on ats, they miraculously become a new, better, person.

Aren't you in a sense painting the same picture you present? I'm not so sure one can win with an insulting tongue against others who possess the very same bite. If it does these people you generalise here so well to come and vent because of the reasons you seem to know of so matter of factly, then better for those of us who deal with *these* people more on a face to face/public basis.

The best advice I have for you is one of two; remain posting in a mature and sensible manner in hopes others may 'catch on' or by pass the internet all together and face the world around you on a more earthly level.

(I fail to see how the size of someones manhood can bring on these symptoms you have theorised)

[Edited on 5/27/04 by magestica]

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 11:20 PM
link   

and they probably have small genitalia.

And we know these posters are men...how? or are we speaking of women with small twats as well?

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Magestica, good points. Just wanted to say the size of ones manhood (if less than average) may cause that man to be outwardly aggresive as they are producing a shield and putting others down to make themselves feel better. Trust me i have a friend like that, we didnt know why he was so in your face and offensive to people, then when he was drunk he thought it would be funny to run around naked... and lets just say we couldnt tell if he was male or female...

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by magestica

Aren't you in a sense painting the same picture you present?

no, i dont believe i am. i intentionally directed my statements at a non-descript third person because i was aware at the potential for hypocrisy in posting something of this nature. besides, i have no pretentions about who i am. i am a skinny guy with little girly arms who has never been in a fight in his life, and therefore i do not act in an aggressive way on this
(or any) forum.

i do however agree that its better for people to relieve their frustrations here than in real life. even more annoying than aggressive internet users is aggressive drivers (again usually young men).

regarding the accusations i made of 'small genitalia', this was intended to be a (slightly) tongue in cheek comment about the inadequacies i believe these people may have in real life. nothing more.

and in response to pineapple, i cover the gender issue in my original post: "its the people (generally young males i suspect)...".

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 01:29 PM
link   
To me, this restriction does not seem logical at all.

I enjoyed going to the mudpit, posted a few times, I didn't harrass anyone there, now I'm "banned" until I get enough points? What does this solve?

That's making the assumption that if you have 1billion points, you won't go "postal" on the board.

If I remember, there was a "Colonel" something or other that's a mod on there that has a billion points, and he got downright "in the mud" with people.

Restrict the people who don't behave, not the noobies who do.

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by sosuemetoo
I enjoyed going to the mudpit, posted a few times, I didn't harrass anyone there, now I'm "banned" until I get enough points? What does this solve?

I think it's dumb, but I still bought access in the store. The reason for this change is similar to that of RATS.......RATS=Keep 'secret' topics inaccessible so it remains hidden. Mud-Pit=Keep 'dirty' topics inaccessible so that ATS has a clean image. It's all about image, folks.

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I heard a rumor that the mud pit was created specially for someone named Colonel to make him happy. Then they made him a mod to make him happier.

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 10:10 PM
link   
The only problem I have with the Mud Pit is that I can't get into it anymore. I understand why it was changed and have no problems with it being restricted. Its still a pain though.

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by sen5e
I heard a rumor that the mud pit was created specially for someone named Colonel to make him happy. Then they made him a mod to make him happier.

Colonel wasn't the only mod to post in the Pit. AND it wasn't a mod that I saw as a problem. ARe you aware that there ARe some that have nothing to contribute but insults. I think that the Pit works, make a point, don't just call someone names.

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Is there a way to give people some of my points? I mean if noone has proven to be an arse then why shouldn't they be allowed to enter? It's only 500 points and I have some to spare. Can I give someone my points to enter? Just a question.

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Oh and by the way, don't take the Colonel the wrong way. Even though I myself have disagreed with him many times, he is still allowed to voice his opinion. It even makes for a good discussion if you can get past his harshnesh (word?). Colonel...I miss seeing your posts...where'd you go? Hope your still around buddy.

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Well, you can't get rid of Pisky that easily. I'm back in the pit, although I never really degenerated to name-calling (well, I don't remember giving anyone the verbal - I may be wrong about that though
). You never know though, anything's possible.

I agree with you, Mac. I enjoy Colonel's posts and rants about the 'Repugnants' and miss his presence. He (like many members here) bring information and entertainment to my ATS visits.

new topics

top topics

join