It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protesters To Take Mass Overdose Outside Drugstore

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Just don't buy the homeopathic birth control pills, they don't work. They are supposed to have a few parts per million of some compounds. If you believe they will work, they will.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by earthdude

Some things, I agree... like perhaps birth control, seems a little far fetched. A good rhythm method probably works just as well as any particular herb.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I just can't wait to see what happens to the poor sucker who overdoses on the Horny Goat Weed (google it if you don't know what it does).

You will be able to tell which one he is pretty easily...

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
This protest may prove absolutely nothing. You can technically "overdose" on any substance. Even water, if drank to excess, can cause harm, even death to the body. A point is reached where what you believe and don't believe doesn't mean squat because there is legitimate, tangible damage being done to the body.

The main problem with homeopathic treatment vs modern medicine is that it is impossible to analyze the effects of either in a pristine control group. Let's say that someone has cancer and is taking standard medical treatment for it... they will either believe the treatment will work or despair in thinking it is pointless... Who's to say that the positive thoughts aren't driving the effecacy of the treatment? Likewise, who's to say that the positive thought is doing anything whatsoever? Throw in ancilliary unknowns such as prayer, diet, and overall health aside from the one medical condition being treated and there's honestly no way to determine exactly what is "curing" those who return to health and what is not working on those who regress.

Many, many people who believed a particular cure would work for them have died from their ailments just as many who thought they had little chance of being cured have ultimately waged a successfull fight and survived. The simple fact is every person is different, even on an individual cell level. You can cite statistics that indicate the average chemical composition of the average human being, but the simple truth is that genetics and diversity combine to make each person unique and that includes the individual uniqueness of how each person responds to any treatment, homeopathic, pharmaceutical, or otherwise.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast
They obviously are taking something that they KNOW will not hurt them if taken in excess.

Stupid!

Exactly. I'd like to see them taking some hemlock if you ask me.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Homeopathy and herbal are not necessarily the same thing.

Homeopathy works on the idea that a small amount of something that makes one sick with a specific symptom set will trigger your body to fight an illness/disease that has a similar symptom set.

While I have no particular love of homeopathy - It works on the same underlying principle as vaccination.

Hair of the dog and all that.

[edit on 2010/1/29 by Aeons]

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
While I have no particular love of homeopathy - It works on the same underlying principle as vaccination.

It does not actually, and remember that there is no trace at all of the original substance. Not that you would want that, with things like:

"Latrodectus hasselti:
This is our famous Australian friend, the redback spider. The whole spider is ground up alive as the original starting material.

Magnetis poli ambo:
This is a homeopathic dilution of water which has been “affected” with a magnet, and retains special properties from a magnet.

Crop circle Brummen 1997:
It’s, uh, wheat taken from a crop circle. With Magical alien crop circle healing power or something? What does homeopathy doctrine proscribe that it will treat? Alien possession? Crop circle hoaxes?

Lac caninum e Schäferhund:
The lactation, breast milk, of a German Shepard dog.

Taenia solium Nos.:
Tincture of ground up porcine tapeworm.

Kugelblitz:
Ball Lightning. I wonder how they make a tincture of ball lightning?

Carcinosinum mamma:
Watery excretion of the breast cancer of a woman. Ewww."

www.youngausskeptics.com... and

www.remedia-homeopathy.com...

[edit on 29/1/10 by dereks]

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
According to wiki:

Homeopathic remedies generally contain few or no pharmacologically active molecules,[21] and for such remedies to have pharmacological effect would violate fundamental principles of science.[12][22] Modern homeopaths have proposed that water has a memory that allows homeopathic preparations to work without any of the original substance; however, the physics of water are well understood, and no known mechanism permits such a memory.[22][23] The lack of convincing scientific evidence supporting homeopathy's efficacy[24] and its use of remedies lacking active ingredients have caused homeopathy to be described as pseudoscience, quackery,[25][26][27][28][29] and a "cruel deception".[30]

Sounds like they will be drinking sugar water, so I can't expect any overdose here...

Now I would like to see them OD on herbal remedies because we know for fact plants contain powerful toxins and agents that can present some healing and some present death. Or just a happy little trip with an etheongene.

Personally, I like the concepts behind herbal medicine; that some plants produce natural remedies for curing headaches, killing bacteria, cleansing your liver... giving you vitamines and minerals.

Sugar water doesn't sound so convincing.

[edit on 29-1-2010 by YouAreDreaming]

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I have to take a lot of strong pain killers to help with osteoporosis in my spine, and feet, an on going progression resulting form club foot at birth, anyway i have tried many different alternative meds, and although some say that its all in the mind, i for one would have to disagree, for me anyway. It may be that i am aware that what you don't know about something can convince you that its going to work, and so the mind takes over, but like i said i have tried them, and knowing that they are only sugar, or chalk, probably for me makes all the difference, meaning that my mind knows they are not going to work, but i have no problem with people who prefer to take such remedies in place of big pharma products.

I know that i am addicted to the meds i take, and that they have many undesirable side effects, but i also know that the pain i am in is kept under control because of them. Personal experience has shown me when trying to take myself off such meds, i end up with the withdraw symptoms, as well as being unable to move in just a few days, And although i don't agree with the idea of big companies trying to promote their drugs for the slightest of conditions I would say they work for some of the more difficult ones, such as mine. Having said that i would always suggest alternative remedies to others as a first step, and see nothing wrong in that, especially knowing the damage the opiate based pain killers do have on ones internal organs over prolonged periods of time. I can only hope that these remedies have not had undesirable stuff added to them, or these protesters are in for a bit of a shock, and so to are the people that make them, as they will be exposed and all hell let loose. fingers crossed they will all be ok.

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

Originally misunderstood and now I understand.

Nothing more to say than I agree to some point.

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by InertiaZero

Do YOU believe that homeopathy works?

Well, it all starts in our Heads. Therefore it can work e.g. Placebo etc.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join