It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Mystery Creature Stalks Oklahoma" (news video)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
This here is old news - September 2009 - but I did miss it the first time...and I wondered if any local OK ATS folk had any interesting cross-references on this, or a Round Two...

Now at the very end they utter the word "cougar", which is only proper...places where I've lived (of course I ain't no expert) where a cougar was taking folks' animals, it was more like a light touch, smash-and-grab, get-it-and-go...this critter maybe seems to be hanging around, lingering in a people-stinking area, for longer than (but what do I know) I would expect your regular cougar to do...is all.

Here's a couple more little squibs on the same subject:

It wouldn't take but one coyote to snatch up a Yorkie, it's the sheep and no remains found that more nearly interest me...I do so wish they had interviewed the officer mentioned in the scrolling text vid who is said to have seen the "large cat with a long tail"...(like, a cop would know a cougar, if it looked like a cougar why didn't he describe it as a cougar, "large cat with a long tail" is a relatively austere and sparse and uninformative way to describe a cougar if what you saw looked just like it was a cougar...is all)...

Anyways, anybody?

[edit on 29-1-2010 by nine-eyed-eel]

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Very likely this is a cougar which someone thought would make a cool pet until it got too big. Then they let it go rather than do the responsible thing.
As long as there's a ready supply of Yorkybites available it could go on terrorizing these folks for quite a while. Cougars are about as sneaky an animal as you can find and their home range can be as big as 100 miles. Lotsa luck catching that guy.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by nine-eyed-eel
it's the sheep and no remains found that more nearly interest me...

For the carcasses that are found, I'm certain it was due to predation by coyotes and/or cougars. The ones that disappear with no remains at all....well, they have likely been quartered and placed securely in someone's freezer.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Yeah, I was thinking that cougars (again I'm no expert) do usually leave something behind that could be found, cause they come back to eat on that carcass several times, right?...and for sure an unknown-predator-panic might be a good time to poach some meat animals from the neighbors, blame would fall on the predator...(although on the other hand I might be scared to do it right then, since maybe the folks would be extra vigilant owing to the scary predator tales going around, and/or hoping to capture some predator in an exciting video)...hmmm.
I figure if it's coyotes, coyotes make noise, people would hear the coyotes and blame any missing animals on them...the big cat wouldn't come into the story, if there was coyote noise around, and no cat, seems like, perhaps...

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
Cougars are about as sneaky an animal as you can find and their home range can be as big as 100 miles. Lotsa luck catching that guy.

That's what I was thinking, cougar oughta have a big range, maybe it's a little weird that he would be burning down that one Frisco Road area in Tuttle, or whatever...no doubt I'm overanalyzing, I am suspicious-minded...I just wonder, if it looked like a cougar, how come the cop who saw it didn't just call it a cougar...

I'm no doubt being unduly influenced by all those exciting Alien Big Cat stories emanating from the U.K...like feral former pet leopards or whatever...fun stuff...but I wouldn't accept any proof short of actually catching one, either...It just makes you go "hmmm"...

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
If there is a cougar, more likely a mountain lion, it could have kits and be taking the catch to them.
That could explain missing animals.
Thoses rumors have been in these parts for 50+ years.
Some claim to see a black cat with green eyes..seen from headlights and such.
There have been black bears found here too, OK MO TN AR.
Cats are somewhat like bears, if there is a good food source, they would tend to continue staying in the area IMO.
But I think, its more likely a mountain lion, that has been relocated either by natural means or been pushed, out of its place, and made this area its new home.
Most likely has to be a small population, which is not all that hard to believe, there is a lot more land and free space than most realize in the tri state area KS OK MO.

ETA...to be honest I was hoping someone had dug up the "Pink and Stinky" headlines from the late 80's early 90's
Where a young man was driving in excess of 100 MPH and after a short chase by the LEO/state trooper, he had this wild story about stopping to pee on the side of the road and there was a tall 7' best of my memory, man thing that stunk and had redish hair that looked sun bleached, so it was kinda pink.
They made an artist drawing of it at the police station and the local paper ran the story with the pic and the headline I stated earlier.
This happened in western MO. close to Joplin. on old 66 best I can remember.

[edit on 29-1-2010 by Doc Holiday]

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Holiday

Wow, great stuff, your post has exactly what I was hoping to elicit, i.e. extant Fortean local context/tradition...black cat with green eyes, and then pink-and-stinky...That's a new one for me to look out for, cool.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I remeber this happening, my parents live around Grady county. They have a farm and this was a big deal for them. Some farmer ended up shooting a cougar or mountain lion (didn't really care to remember which) and the killings stopped.

Next time I talk to them I will see if they remember what kind of cat it was.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
We have a population of Cougar out here and I have never heard of anything like this happening. I will say they are very elusive and definitely one of the Ninjas of the animal kingdom. They are pretty well made for stealth and ambush tatics. If it is a cougar, I guarantee they won't find it for a while.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I'd love to see if they catch this thing and what it is.^_^

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadowed

The enjoyable Texas Cryptid Hunter blog mentions here not only cougar populations in east Texas, but also a tiger...that would be wild...but of course most likely it is something like or the very same dead cougar Berserker01 mentions as having been shot in Grady County...I wonder if it's still going on...

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
If it's a cougar as you say, wouldn't most of the victim's be younger men, and would there not be some evidence, such as an old bottle of wine, perhaps some marvin gaye cassette's, and tire track's from a mercede's..... Oh wait, y'all don't mean that kinda cougar....my bad

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Holiday

Well not that I think it's a Jaguar but....
Return of the jaguar - animals return to North America, not welcomed by all

After a prolonged absence, jaguars are back in the United States, but not everyone is rolling out the welcome mat

Jack Childs and his partners suspected that something odd was going on that hot August day in 1996. Their male hounds were barking as if they scented a wild cat. But the two female dogs, with the most sensitive noses, remained silent. "They weren't acting as if it was a lion track," says Childs, who for more than 30 years has hunted cougars (also known as mountain lions). "We could tell it must have smelled different."
Related Results

They let the dogs follow the trail up the canyon, into the rocky oak and juniper tangles of the Baboquivari Mountains in southern Arizona. After a short chase their baying announced that they had treed their quarry. When Childs and his three companions caught up, they saw a full-grown jaguar rest- ing on a juniper branch, legs dangling.

"We all felt really blessed," Childs says. "I never thought I'd see a jaguar. I thought it was just something you talked about around the camp fire."

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

My whole life growing up I was told the jaguar did range out of Mexico (barely) into the continental US, around that Organ Pipes park in Arizona and around the Big Bend on the Texas border. Never saw any of them myself when I was in those areas...
Jaguars do have that melanistic black coat occasionally so that could naturally explain the black panther type reports (the Texas Cryptid Hunter link mentions some, as did Doc Holiday of course)...

[edit on 8-2-2010 by nine-eyed-eel]

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by nine-eyed-eel

The Southern half of the US was part of their original range. She said it was a Orangeish-redish blur. A Jaguar moving at top speed would be a blur. Why not? We have the Timber Wolves returning to their original ranges why not the Jaguar?
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d899ad8b261d.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Yeah, the Texas Cryptid Hunter mentions in this post "Lost Bears and Black Panthers"...

The last known jaguar in Texas was killed in Brownwood in the 1940s.

Plus Wikipedia on Jaguar, for example, gives some love to the known Arizona population of jaguars.

[edit on 8-2-2010 by nine-eyed-eel]

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by nine-eyed-eel

Click the link to see the video ...

KHOU: Bobcat runs free in downtown Houston

Not like I'm an expert, but that is the biggest bobcat that I ever saw...seems to be doing well, in his urban environment/parking garage...

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   
as i am at a place where i can't view you tube videos i haven't seen them, but i do have a strange story to tell that my dad always told...
we have 70-odd acres of forest and pasture land in ottawa county and around 1990 we had a cow that had been hit by a car and wasn't going to make it, so dad shot it in the head and cut it's throat and left it in the woods back there for the animals to get at.... about a week later he was cutting wood back there and noticed the carcass was gone, the grass was still laid down and there was blood where it had been, but no carcass, or tracks for that matter, not even bones... pretty odd since if something would have moved it there would have at least been drag marks around, and the only thing i know that eats bones are pigs, but wild hogs leave tracks and there were none, this got my dad (who is 6'5 and weighed around 260 at the time) pretty spooked and he left pretty fast, he came home white as a ghost and told the story, when my mom asked what had him so scared he said he felt like he was being watched... we've heard lots of stories from some local indian elders that the place had bad medicine and one man said that it belonged to a "skeely" which i think is a type of wild man or bigfoot.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by dave_welch

That is a good story, that is exactly the type of thing I was hoping this thread would elicit.
Thank you for posting, and any more details you and/or dad recall, I would be most interested to hear of...
I never heard that term "skeely" before, that is a good bit, too.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Ooh, yeah, here's a nice recent cougar photo from OK on cryptomundo (I'm not going to recaption it -who am I, + they are great - but I wouldn't call it a "panther", me, nope)
Cryptomundo : Panther Photo : Oklahoma

And in the related newsok.com article, they do not mention, under recent confirmed cougars/kills, the one putative/suspected cougar from the videos that started off this thread...so either they didn't know about that recent big "cougar" flap, or the story of it being killed is not correct, maybe, hmm.

...Only one time could it be confirmed that a mountain lion was indeed the culprit. That was in 2006 when a mountain lion killed a goat in Cimarron County.
But there have been documented cases of mountain lions in Oklahoma in recent years, he [Jack Carson, Oklahoma Department of Agriculture, Food and Forestry spokesman, maybe, the original seems a little ambiguous] said.
A Dewey County rancher once found the remains of a dead mountain lion, and a cougar was killed by a motorist at the Purcell exit on Interstate 35 several years ago, [Alan] Peoples [chief of the wildlife division for the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation] said.

[edit on 10-3-2010 by nine-eyed-eel]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join