It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

XP Pro SP3 Installation Query

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Hi, myself and a friend both purchased a copy of Windows XP Pro SP3 and recieved 2 "dell reinstallation" disks. Good for a "fresh" install on a blank drive which is what we paid for and expected...but...

One of the envelopes that the disks come in was missing it's product key, the one on the holographic sticker.

I installed my copy a few months ago and everything went fine. I now have an up to date O.S. and I'm happy. It's been running smoothly, updates when it needs to and I have no complaints.

My friend has run into problems though.

He has only just got round to attempting to install his copy and realised that the "product key" for his disk is missing from the rear of the envelope it came in. There is no evidence of it having been removed so we are assuming it might have been missing in the first place.

It is a legitimate disk and not a pirated version. It's a shame he didn't spot this sooner and may have problems convincing the seller it was missing in the first place.

Question: How significant is the product key to the disk? Do they, or should they go hand in hand so he can use it and get it updated without issues.

I notice on my product key (hologram one) that it says: "Windows XP Professional 1 - 2CPU" Is it possible to use MY product key with HIS disk as long as we both have a single installation?

Any help would be useful. Although I'm good with computers, this is not something I deal with enough to know about.

Cheers, nerb

[edit on 29/1/2010 by nerbot]

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
That would be contrary to the EULA unless you bought XP that can be licensed for more that one machine.
Wiki-Product keys

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by The Utopian Penguin

Thanks for your reply. I understand your point.

I think I may have initially misunderstood where it says "Windows XP Professional 1 - 2CPU" on the disk. Would that apply to machines with "single" or "dual core" processors and not actual seperate machines hence the "CPU" in the description. Makes sense.

I think this is simply a case of the seller pulling a fast one and sending one of the disks without it's key so it could be resold seperately.

Basically, I think my friend is stuffed and must fork out again....shame.

Cheers.

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I think your friend could go ahead and install XP, just skipping the product key part (it should install but as the 30 day trial).

If that goes well there are tools like Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder v2.0.1 ... I've not had to use this, and it's the first hit on a quick google search, so I can't vouch for it, but it's a start.

Run that, see if it finds a product key and then I'm thinking you can just go ahead and activate XP.

edit: Bingo!

1) Insert Windows XP cd into a working computer.
2) Exit the Autorun introduction.
3) Open "My Computer"
4) Right Click on the Windows XP cd-rom drive and select explore.
5) Open the USWXP32P_ZX folder.
6) Open the sysprep folder.
7) Open unattend.txt

Your CD's product key is contained within the unattend.txt file.

From Here

That should sort your friend out...

Mind you if that product key has been misappropriated there could be problems with the windows genuine advantage? Don't know about that.

[edit on 30/1/2010 by Now_Then]

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

Wow! that sounds cool and I haven't heard it before.

Seeing as I have a near identical copy of my friends disk but WITH the Key I can check to see myself if this rings true.

I understand your point about it being already registered if the number was used by someone else but if it was in someone else's hands lets hope my friend gets there first.

Thanks and I'll let you know how it goes.

----------------------------------------------------

Edit: WELL......I just checked on my disk and the route to the "unnatend.txt" file is different but it's there with all the information as described. Maybe because this is an SP3 Dell version. However, the number in the txt file and the number on my disk's envelope are different.

My copy worked fine when I installed and it upgraded sweet as a nut but I'm not sure what would have happened if I used the number in that text file.

I'll tell my friend to try it and we'll see what happens.

Thanks a lot, this is good to know for the future. Cheers again.

[edit on 30/1/2010 by nerbot]

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
After a bit of research it seems the "unattend.txt" file only has a generic Key that was used by Microsoft and doesn't pertain to the actual disk.

Bummer!

A "keyfinder" program will only work if the number has already been typed into the computer and as the hasn't even installed it yet, that's no use.

I guess my friend will have to fork out again.

Ho Hum. Cheers for all your help.

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Oh well, still good knowledge to log away for future use though.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Well, if they are Dell's, wouldn't you just use the key on the machine? You know, the XP sticker.

Troy

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by cybertroy
Well, if they are Dell's, wouldn't you just use the key on the machine? You know, the XP sticker.

Troy

Just about any Dell Restore CD will restore onto just about any Dell System. If you have a Dell Windows 2003 server you can install it onto a Dell Desktop and it will never bother you for a key or code. Been that way since Win2k-XP-Vista. Mediacente, home, pro, The Dell restore only checks for the Dell motherboard. If it is a Dell MB then it installs the OS. Of course this is just for testing and breaks the eula if you do. To be legit you have to have the same OS and the COA sticker. The one you are missing....

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Well, my experience with DELL XP cds, they didn't work with all the machines. Now that I think about it. You get the counterfeit message. It's like they are made for a specific line of DELL computers they have, time period, or something. I wouldn't necessarily be able to take a Precision Desktop disk and put it on a C-series laptop. It sometimes wants a key that's not on the machine you might be trying to put it on.

I think that's how I remember it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Troy

[edit on 25-2-2010 by cybertroy]

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by cybertroy

I won't correct you but I remember it differently and can say honestly that the Dells I have personally owned all could take any Dell restore CD. I have seen it with the server restore disks also. Windows server 2003 on a dimension 4600? On a inspiration laptop? Yes and yes. Pop into a shady computer repair shop and you will see what I am talking about.

My experience only goes up to Vista on the restore disks. The windows ME and 98 restore disks could tell the difference though.

HP restore disks are about 50/50 on a different HP model and almost guaranteed not to work on dis-similar laptop.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

Why not just download the torrent of Win XP SP 3 from pirate bay and it comes fully activated? I have one of these and have installed it on many machines for people, never a hitch. Only thing is, you can't do an upgrade from within Windows, it has to be a fresh install. Hint, Vista and Vista Black is also available. Also, there are key changers out there, you just have to look for them.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

Yes but doing such a things is illegal - so if we do go and do such things
we don't mention them here....

new topics

top topics

join