It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MSNBC Chris Mathews (Racist statement), "I forgot Obama was black for an hour"

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Kailassa

Pretty funny isn't it??? The poor old guy really isn't even aware that he said anything "out of the ordinary."

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by EvolvedMinistry

Hey evolved
i would have to say this news agency may be getting tired of his prehistoric nonsense and aired the comment only to hang him out to dry.

If not he is simply just an ignorant sob and should be told that his choice of words was quite inapropriate..

he is truly ignorant

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   

if we had any other president that was chinese, mexican, jewish etc would he have said the same thing? I guess once you go black you never go back.

Note: Thanks for inviting me to you thread Evolved. $&F for great thread.

[edit on 29-1-2010 by Stop-loss!]

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Shouldn't we all be forgetting what race each other is? Isn't that how racism will die out? Racial pride is racism in reverse. Just think in terms of a white only beauty pageant or white only colleges. They would be condemed as racist but black only pageants or colleges are not. From a sociological perspective, the more different a minority behaves, the more racism the majority feels. The Japanese who live in the west have figured it out. They don't go around flaunting their language and customs in our faces. For the most part they try to fit in and keep a low profile. While there may still be the occasional instance of anti-japanese racism, the vast majority of japanese americans(or canadians or whatever) do not experience systemic discrimination. Blacks on the other have collectively as a group gone the other way. The street language, music, gestures, clothing all have the effect of highlighting how different black culture is from mainstream 'white' culture. When Bill Cosby pointed out how this ghetto-ized subculture only makes it harder for black youth to get educated and find jobs, he was called a race traitor by his own people. This push for racial pride found it's absurd extreme when Bill Clinton was made an 'Honorary Black Man' by some black association. Not only was it insulting to whites everywhere but if a black man had been awarded a plaque saying he had been made an 'Honorary White Man', the black community would have howled with anger and rightly so. If something is racist when a white person does or says it, then it's also racist when a black (or any other ethnic group) person does or says it.

Billy Dee Williams was asked in an interview after his performance in the Star Wars movie how he felt about being called the next 'Black' Clark Gable. He answered that he would prefer to be called the next Clark Gable period without race entering into it all.

Racism will not die out until all of us are color blind. Matthew's problem is not that he forgot that Obama was black for an hour but that he didn't forget that Obama was black altogether. If that's what the OP was trying to say then I agree.

[edit on 29-1-2010 by Beancounter72]

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Stop-loss!

No problem friend, thanks for stopping by. Its always a pleasure to see you.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by triplescorpio

I couldn't agree with you more. To let something like that slip out of one's mouth on national television is pretty irresponsible.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Beancounter72

Yes, in fact, that IS what I was trying to say. The most viable thing Mathews could have done was not point out this fact at all. Had he forgotten it altogether, this would not have occurred.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
The rate of Matthews decline is now exponential. He certainly never fails to impress his ever shrinking supply of viewers with his choice comments.

Jon Stewart is even picking on the poor dolt.

Comedian Jon Stewart Thursday mocked MSNBC's Chris Matthews for his absurd comment about having forgotten President Obama was black during the previous night's State of the Union address.

"If you watched the speech, and afterwards just wanted to have your mind blown, you gotta stick with Chris Matthews," teased the "Daily Show" host.

After showing the video of Matthews' foolish remark, Stewart quipped, "You know what else you might have forgotten? You're miked!"

Once the audience stopped laughing, the Comedy Central star said, "I swear to God, this guy's one scotch away from being Ron Burgundy"

Read more: newsbusters.org...

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Yeah jibeho, I caught that episode. Jon had a guy come on that just made me laugh my # off.

Stewart is really beginning to take the gloves off on the current idiots in Washington and the MSM.

Here is the Jon Stewart episode link-

Jon Stewart show January 28

[edit on 1/29/2010 by endisnighe]

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

Thank you for posting that additional link. The more info we can get on here, the better.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Well, self admittedly, he said he probably shouldn't have mentioned it. He was right about that.

Now, it can be argued that he was making an observation about how times have changed and there seems to be a different perspective on racial issues. However, at least on the surface, it seems to me that he was implying that he never thought that there would be a time when an "African" American would be able to speak in the manner that Obama does. If that is so, then it certainly is a reflection on Matthews.

I try to steer clear of these racial threads because they are so tentative and complex. However, given that you asked me for my thoughts on this, Evolved, I chose to reply.

To me, it was somewhat of a racial comment but one has to realize that Matthews grew up in an era when such comments were not even gave second notice.

[edit on 29-1-2010 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

Thank you for stopping by speaker...Nice to see you and thanks for leaving a comment on the thread. Your opinion is always appreciated.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Beancounter72

Shouldn't we all be forgetting what race each other is? Isn't that how racism will die out?

There was a whole other thread about what I think yer talking about here.
Check it: www.abovetopsecret.com...
The thread was too ridiculous to leave alone so i roasted it pretty bad.

You can't forget a race....thats crazy talk. And thats not how racism will de out, racism will die out over time as people are subjected to a progressively wider and wider array of cultures, ideas, and people on a regular consistent basis during the course of their life. There's no hope for many people in older generations everyone knows that, but look at the 30's-40's and under groups. It will only lessen from here.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
It's interesting how people have come to think that noting a person's race; mentioning it at ALL, is "racist". So silly.

To act like you don't notice a person's race is just being in denial.

I heard Chris Matthews say this and I thought at the time, "Oh, boy! There's another ATS thread."

I have heard Matthews say racist things before, but this wasn't one of them. Having our first black president is a big deal. To be able to totally forget that Obama is a black man is quite an accomplishment for some. That doesn't mean they're racist. I knew exactly what he meant when he said it. For those who don't, you'll just have to think it was a racist statement.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
Well, self admittedly, he said he probably shouldn't have mentioned it. He was right about that.

Why? Why shouldn't he have mentioned it? Sweeping it under the rug, being secretive about it, walking on eggshells about race is a PROBLEM.

Now, it can be argued that he was making an observation about how times have changed and there seems to be a different perspective on racial issues.

Yes. That's what he was saying.

However, at least on the surface, it seems to me that he was implying that he never thought that there would be a time when an "African" American would be able to speak in the manner that Obama does. If that is so, then it certainly is a reflection on Matthews.

That's not at all what he meant.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Sweeping it under the rug, being secretive about it, walking on eggshells about race is a PROBLEM.

Why is it a "problem?" You see, Benevolent, the concept of duality is going to go out the window with the paradigm shift. Focusing on someone's race is a prime example of dualistic thinking. It's a me/him, us/they, mentality.

I tell you truly, take it for what it is worth, those who cannot conform to a wholistic form of thought are going to be left behind. It's not going to be far down the road either.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
Why is it a "problem?"

The reason it's a problem is that our words and actions are out of integrity with our thoughts and opinions. I mean, if he kept it inside, no one would be talking about it, but he (and MANY others) would still be thinking it, thinking that it wouldn't be "proper" or "acceptable" to say what was on his mind, I thought it was a real admission on his part to the fact that, no matter how we like to think that race problems are behind us, many people (especially those of us who are older and were raised in a racist society) still have lingering issues that we'd like to address and talk about.

You see, Benevolent, the concept of duality is going to go out the window with the paradigm shift. Focusing on someone's race is a prime example of dualistic thinking. It's a me/him, us/they, mentality.

Absolutely! I think you're right. It's GOING to go out the window. That is the goal, but we're not there yet. And to act as if we are is disingenuous, IMO. I look forward to the shift and I see it manifesting every day, but we shouldn't hush it up or deny its existence if we're feeling it.

I tell you truly, take it for what it is worth, those who cannot conform to a wholistic form of thought are going to be left behind. It's not going to be far down the road either.

I totally agree! It's very exciting!

[edit on 29-1-2010 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
"I was trying to think about who he was tonight. It's interesting: he is post-racial, by all appearances."

Can someone explain what "post-racial" means?

Is it another one of those newspeak words that I missed out on?

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by mishigas
Can someone explain what "post-racial" means?

It just means that since we elected a black man for president, that shows that race isn't as significant as it used to be. Racism still exists, of course, and probably always will. But a significant portion of society has gotten past it, so we're said to live in a "post-racial" society.

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
This gaff strikes me as a "Did I just say that aloud?" moment.

Ultimately, I'm glad to see that Mr. Matthews is having epiphanies in the direction of equality and understanding, rather than division and hatred. I hope he internalizes his realization, so that he may apply it to a wider world perspective. The more people of all ages are able to see through the veil that our humanity triumphs over our birthplace, the better.

Namaste

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join