It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A little XP help please.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Frigging program is ticking me off.I recently have been having a problem when attempting to right click to open a folder.

Damn hour glass just spins and I have to resort to restarting my computer.

I don't get an options list or anything just the hourglass.

Regular folders and even zip files.

Anyone have an idea of what is happening?:bnghd:

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Explanation: OL is not an expert so be aware of that OK.

1] Hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete and bring up the Windows Task manager.

2] Now you can view your Computers ongoing Processes, Performance and Networking etc.

3] Check for what Process is hogging the cpu's Performance and by how much.

That MAY help get a less ambiguous POV on what is actually happening.

Personal Disclosure: When did you last run your security apps and have you defragged?

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
your context menu (right click menu) may take time to load if you have many programs installed. lots of programs use the context menu to provide added functionality and integration of their software on to windows.

check out Context Menu Editor if you want to remove/edit some of your context menu items. be careful, removing context menu entries for some software may require you to reinstall them again if you want to have them back on your right click menu.

good luck.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I usually use Advance system care

After you run the program go to admin tools and delete what you don't need from your context menu.

You made have some dead associations in your registry

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I have all kinds of security programs and registry editors,crap cleaner etc. I defrag when it tells me to(Use System Mechanic).

I mean I am not that stupid. I know enough but I am getting older and sometimes it is silly things.

I do look at the task manager to see what is using resources.

It is I believe something to do with IE and a script running because I keep getting sometimes a script error,when I restart the computer.

It just recently began doing it and it pisses me off.

P.S. I DO NOT Use IE I use Firefox exclusively.

[edit on 28-1-2010 by calcoastseeker]

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 02:16 AM
link   
When you say you are using all kinds of security programs, can you explain that further?

Some antivirus programs will not run well with other antivirus programs. It can be a bad idea to run more than one antivirus program, as a general rule. They can bring a computer to a crawl.

Troy

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by calcoastseeker

even if you do not use IE in your browsing, BHO (browser helper objects) will still be put on to your pc by any software you might have installed. and because of the integration of IE in windows, BHO will load at system startup, so you might want to look into that. also, task manager isn't really that effective at detecting stuff that might be using up your system resources. software that load themselves as services such as some security software (antivirus, firewall, utilities) often contribute to making your pc slow to respond and can't be viewed/stopped using task manager.

this tool allows you to see everything that's running on your windows right now, up to and including which programs loaded what. you might want to check the startups section and eliminate/disable stuff that you don't really need. as well head on to the services section to do the same. just change the startup type for those non-essential services from automatic to manual, or you can disable them if that's what you want.

i strongly advise making backups of anything important before playing around with your computer though, good luck.

[edit on 1.29.10 by toreishi]

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Maybe you could try running your anti virus and ccleaner (and anything else you got, y'know reg cleaners, defrag, mal and spyware doodlewotsits) in safe mode? That has helped me before - so I do it every so often just out of habit.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Try these.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
It's possible your PC may be trying to connect to an old device that is no longer connected or available, hence the latency.

Try this utility, ProcMon and run a quick capture.
It displays the registry keys and files that are being accessed in real time.
This can help point you to the culprit application.

You can also try this:

Close out of every active app and browser.

Click Start | Run...

type in
cmd
..and press OK

Now type in the command in green text shown below:

netstat -an | find "ESTABLISHED"

If you see anything ESTABLISHED, some outside source is connected to your computer.

top topics

join