It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nuclear Fusion Power Closer to Reality Say Two Separate Teams

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
www.universetoday.com...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/703d8b6cd2d6.jpg[/atsimg]

Quote from source:
For years, scientists have been trying to replicate the type of nuclear fusion that occurs naturally in stars in laboratories here on Earth in order to develop a clean and almost limitless source of energy. This week, two different research teams report significant headway in achieving inertial fusion ignition—a strategy to heat and compress a fuel that might allow scientists to harness the intense energy of nuclear fusion. One team used a massive laser system to test the possibility of heating heavy hydrogen atoms to ignite. The second team used a giant levitating magnet to bring matter to extremely high densities — a necessary step for nuclear fusion.

Unlike nuclear fission, which tears apart atoms to release energy and highly radioactive by-products, fusion involves putting immense pressure, or "squeezing" two heavy hydrogen atoms, called deuterium and tritium together so they fuse. This produces harmless helium and vast amounts of energy.

Recent experiments at the National Ignition Facility in Livermore, California used a massive laser system the size of three football fields. Siegfried Glenzer and his team aimed 192 intense laser beams at a small capsule—the size needed to store a mixture of deuterium and tritium, which upon implosion, can trigger burning fusion plasmas and an outpouring of usable energy. The researchers heated the capsule to 3.3 million Kelvin, and in doing so, paved the way for the next big step: igniting and imploding a fuel-filled capsule.

Glad to see we are making breakthroughs with fusion power. It would be amazing if we could harness this. Once we understand this it will change our world, not only in our power but in space vehicles as well.

Amazing how much effort and understanding goes into something that stars do everyday effortlessly.

Any thoughts?

Pred...

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

AAArgh I am one cheesed off puppy! I just spent ages making a thread about the UK planning a fusion reactor,which they believe will be operational by 2020,
But ATS claimed "there is already a thread with that title" and I forgot to save my whole post,so its gone forever(even though I had searched and there is no such dang thread!!)

Anyway Your thread is kind of connected so I will post a bit here..

BRITISH scientists have drawn up plans to build the world’s first nuclear fusion power station. They say it could be pouring electricity into the National Grid within 20 years.
Nuclear fusion, the power that lies at the heart of the sun, offers the prospect of clean, safe, carbon-free power with a minimum of radioactive waste. But despite decades of research the technical problems have seemed insurmountable.
This weekend, however, Research Councils UK (RCUK), which oversees the British government’s spending on science and technology, has said it believes that many of those obstacles are close to being overcome. It wants to commit Britain to a 20-year research and construction plan that would see a fusion power station in operation around 2030. Didcot in Oxfordshire is among the sites under consideration for the so-called Hiper project.

www.timesonline.co.uk...

I really hope they crack it,as Britain is far to small to have crazy leaky plutonium reactors IMO.I want nice clean power plants,that do not cause cancer clusters please.

The other part of my dissapeared thread speculated on the possibility that Gov/Mil people would be closely watching this research in order to weaponize the technology-The head of the British Army last week:

Sir Richard, who advises the Tories on defence, said the government's decision to renew Trident was right but only "on a very narrow points decision".
Changes in global conditions could render it unnecessary, he told BBC Radio 4's Today programme.

news.bbc.co.uk...

What "changes in global conditions is he thinking of?

A global government(hope not) or fusion weapons maybe?
I really can't see any government getting rid of its best tool of influence on the global stage(nukes),unless it has some other weapon bigger and better.

I really want the fusion reactors to work though,they have potential to rewrite the entire ball game,as you said in the OP.
Imagine a world without the sicko leaky cancer causing reactors we use today-It would be true progess Indeed.

new topics

join