It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republicans brush aside Obama's call for bipartisanship - KansasCity.com

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   

President Barack Obama will speak Friday to Republicans from the House of Representatives, who voiced skepticism Thursday about his call for bipartisanship in his State of the Union address and vowed to continue opposing his agenda unless he - not they - changes course.

On the opening day Thursday of a two-day House GOP retreat in Baltimore, Republican leaders said that Obama must do more than invite them to the White House, offer to cut capital gains taxes for small businesses and sing the praises of offshore drilling and nuclear energy to get their cooperation on contentious issues such as health care.

"We're going to continue to go down the same path this year," House Minority Leader John Boehner, R-Ohio, said before the retreat opened. "We're going to look for common ground, but we're not going to roll over on our principles."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Read more: Republicans brush aside Obama's call for bipartisanship - KansasCity.com

Get ready folks, it's time for the slow dance in the middle, it's an election year, so Democrats and Republicans will try and vie for your vote by playing to the center. We know it's a lie on both sides, they have no intention of being bipartisan, it's just a game they like to play to get your vote.

Soon as the election is over, bam, polarized yet again. This year let's not fall for the lie. This year demand that your representatives and senators prove to you that they have and will cooperate. Bring up their voting record, something they can't lie about. Because they will lie to you. It's their job to lie to you.

Politicians are like Chris Brown, and the constituency is like Rhiana, after they beat you for a while, they apologize and tell you they will change, listen up voter Rhiana, they never will. Sure they will sweet talk you back into the house or senate, but once back in, they will beat on you some more.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Actually as disappointed as I am in the Republican party right now, I do understand some hesitancy on their part. It started with we won, get over it (Pelosi), and continued through being locked out of health care negotiations. However, they are gonna have to move past that if they hope to have a chance at doing anything, including winning elections.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Funny how the democrats blame the loss of adgenda momentum on the republican party,while they still have majority votes in both houses of congress. The democrats just want to cry about the loss of their super majority in the senate. Now they can't force feed legislation down the throats of the people.
I don't have much love for the republican party,but I understand their stance. When your nose is tweaked it pisses you off!!

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by adifferentbreed

This election year, watch, both sides are going to go for the middle, they do every single time. They are going to call for bipartisanship, cooperation, working together on the issues, etc. But when the dust settles, and the mud is cleaned up. They will just go back to the polar opposite political sides.

People fall for it every single time, just like an abused spouse who keeps going back to the abuser. Americans need to divorce themselves from these two political parties, it's time to go get Mr/Mrs Independent. Someone who already is in the middle, and won't polarize the second they get elected.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
If the Republicans dance to the left any more, they will become progressives.

If the Dems dance to the right any more they will become progressives.

Need I say more?

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

During campaign years though, both the left and the right move center in the illusion of bipartisanship, cooperation, in order for them to garner the most overall votes.

Once the race is over, they slam back to the divisive politics that we see today.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

I believe that would be a mistake on the repubs though. The ultra conservative base has grown.

I see that either party means bigger government and more intrusion into our lives.

I am sure the latest elections prove my hypothesis.

Of course the dems will try to say stuff like smaller government, but it will be like Larry Flint calling for abstinence.

It will just sound wrong!

Kind of like this video and Obama talking about Global Warming-

new topics

top topics

join