It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What happened 3600 years ago?

page: 1…
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Quite a bit -- throughout the world.

The America's 2000-year old earliest civilization suddenly disappeared:

ScienceDaily (Jan. 20, 2009) — First came the earthquakes, then the torrential rains. But the relentless march of sand across once fertile fields and bays, a process set in motion by the quakes and flooding, is probably what did in America's earliest civilization.

So concludes a group of anthropologists in a new assessment of the demise of the coastal Peruvian people who built the earliest, largest structures in North or South America before disappearing in the space of a few generations more than 3,600 years ago.

"This maritime farming community had been successful for over 2,000 years, they had no incentive to change, and then all of a sudden, 'boom,'" said Mike Moseley, a distinguished professor of anthropology at the University of Florida. "They just got the props knocked out from under them."

Wooly mammoths went extinct:

The extinction of the woolly mammoth some 3,600 years ago was driven by the disappearance of its icy habitat combined with the emergence of human hunters, scientists have confirmed. The relative importance of climate and hunting for the mammoth's fate has long been debated but rarely assessed quantitatively.

The Sahara grasslands suddenly turned to desert:

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The rains stopped coming, the temperature rose and the great grasslands of North Africa turned to desert a few thousand years ago -- changes that may have helped spur development of civilization in the Nile Valley.

The change to today's arid climate was not gradual, but occurred in two episodes -- the first 6,700 to 5,500 years ago and the second 4,000 to 3,600 years ago, according to a paper published Thursday by the journal Geophysical Research Letters.

"The latter was very severe, ruining ancient civilizations and socio-economic systems," the researchers wrote.

A team of researchers headed by Martin Claussen of Germany's Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research analyzed computer models of climate over the past several thousand years.

They concluded that the change to today's desert climate in the Sahara was triggered by changes in the Earth's orbit and the tilt of Earth's axis.

World's second largest volcano in 1600 B.C. much larger than thought:

Scientists have learned the second largest volcanic eruption in human history -- the Bronze Age eruption -- was much larger than thought.

Researchers from the University of Rhode Island and the Hellenic Center for Marine Research in Athens, Greece (using techniques similar to those employed by oil companies to search for offshore deposits), earlier this year found deposits of volcanic pumice and ash up to 260 feet thick extending more than 15 miles in all directions from the Greek island of Santorini.

These deposits have changed our thinking about the total volume of erupted material from the Minoan eruption, said URI volcanologist Haraldur Sigurdsson.

Tree rings around the world show stunted growth 3,600 years ago:

Irish Tree Rings and an Event in 1628 BC

In prehistoric times, oaks growing on the surface of Irish raised bogs were recording rare extreme events.

These extreme events are characterized by the simultaneous occurrence of the narrowest rings in the lifetime of trees throughout a wide geographical spread of sites.

Significantly the dates of these extreme 'narrowest ring' events coincide with the estimated dates for major volcanic eruptions as recorded in the Greenland ice-cap. One of these events occurs in the decade of the 1620s BC and coincides very precisely with a previously suggested volcanic event at 1626 BC (now 1627 BC) put forward by LaMarche.

One is led to the inevitable conclusion that some major hemispheric event took place in the decade of the 1620s BC, and a strong circumstantial case can be constructed that the event was volcanic in origin. Since the dating is based on precisely dated tree rings no further refinement of the date of the event - probably 1628 BC - is required.

Ice core samples over 30,000 years show "great geologic stress" every 3,600 years:

Michel R. Legrand and Robert J. Delmas of Laboratoire de Glaciologie et Geophysique de l'Environment published an article "Soluble Impurities in Four Antarctic Ice Cores Over the Last 30,000 Years" in Annals of Glaciology (10, 1988, pp 116-120). They graphed the Oxygen 18 variations and the ionic components Na = NH (sub4) and Ca (sup 2) and H and Cl and NO (sub 3) and SO (sub 4). The time scale for each ionic component level as well as the O (sup 18) levels stretches back 30,000 years. The graph shows correlations to spikes at 5,200 BC, 8,800 BC, 12,400 BC, c. 16,000 BC, c. 19,600 BC. All of these were times of great geologic stress.

When looking at the data and taking into account the acknowledged dating inaccuracies (some of the ranges of dates can go 100 years in either direction of the spike, even though the spiking is regular and rhythmic) for the more recent dates, and 3 to 600 years variance for the older dates - especially when one considers that these are broad analyses and nobody was really looking for anything specific - they just said "wow! look at that wavy line!" we find that the southern ice cores do not register the same as the northern ones. The 1628 BC event that really slammed the tree rings shows almost no registration in the antarctic cores in terms of volcanic activity. But the northern cores show the activity beginning 1644 BC.

The evidence for the 5200 BC event is strong in the Dome C core. The 8,800 BC event is well marked - in fact, seems to be the strongest of them all... The Flood of Noah, no doubt! The oxygen 18 isotope variation is noticeable, the rise in sea-salt, eleveated levels of C 1 and C1/Na. There is an extreme spike in SO (sub 4) and H readings suggesting widespread volcanic activity - great earth changes were happening at that time, and they registered in the climate, the oceans, and were preserved in ice.

The 12400 BC event is extremely pronounced in the cores. The graphs show a quick, vast change including the end of the Wisconsin Ice Age (ee: Evidence of Nuclear Activity in Paleoindian Times).

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
The Terra Papers (linked in my sig) suggests that at some time - 5,000ish or less years ago, maybe - maybe earlier... humans had their memory "reprogrammed..."

So who knows...?

[edit on 1/28/2010 by Amaterasu]

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
taken from wiki on the santorini eruption of Thera

The Minoan eruption provides a fixed point for the chronology of the second millennium BC in the Aegean, because evidence of the eruption occurs throughout the region and the site itself contains material culture from outside. The eruption occurred during the "Late Minoan IA" period at Crete and the "Late Cycladic I" period in the surrounding islands.

The exact date of the eruption, however, is unknown. Radiocarbon dating indicates that the eruption occurred about 1645—1600 BC.[3] These dates, however, conflict with the usual date range from archaeological evidence, which is between about 1550 and 1500 BC.[4] For more discussion, see the article on the Minoan eruption.

This eruption also affected the Mayans, the events in the exodus part of the bible and probably destroyed the Indus civilisation which ended around 1500bc

[edit on 28-1-2010 by loner007]

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by loner007

You're talking about a discrepancy of 50-100 years from an event that occurred approximately 3,600 years ago.

I think carbon dating and especially tree ring analysis is more accurate than unspecified "archeological evidence."

When you add the sudden demise of a successful 2,000 year-old Peruvian civilization, the sudden extinction of the Wooly Mammoth, ice core samples that suggest "great geologic stress" and the Sahara grasslands suddenly turning to desert that was "triggered by changes in the Earth's orbit and the tilt of Earth's axis" -- all of which happened 3,600 years ago -- it doesn't take a genius to conclude that there's most likely something to Mayan prophecies.

I think something evil this way comes.

[edit] I also think the U.S. government has known this since 1983:

Mystery Heavenly Body Discovered
The Washington Post, Page A1
December 31, 1983

A heavenly body possibly as large as the giant planet Jupiter and possibly so close to Earth that it would be part of this solar system has been found in the direction of the constellation Orion by an orbiting telescope aboard the U.S. infrared astronomical satellite.

So mysterious is the object that astronomers do not know if it is a planet, a giant comet, a nearby "protostar" that never got hot enough to become a star, a distant galaxy so young that it is still in the process of forming its first stars or a galaxy so shrouded in dust that none of the light cast by its stars ever gets through.

"All I can tell you is that we don't know what it is," Dr. Gerry Neugebauer, IRAS chief scientist for California's Jet Propulsion Laboratory and director of the Palomar Observatory for the California Institute of Technology said in an interview.

The most fascinating explanation of this mystery body, which is so cold it casts no light and has never been seen by optical telescopes on Earth or in space, is that it is a giant gaseous planet, as large as Jupiter and as close to Earth as 50 billion miles. While that may seem like a great distance in earthbound terms, it is a stone's throw in cosmological terms, so close in fact that it would be the nearest heavenly body to Earth beyond the outermost planet Pluto.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Last month:

NASA launches infrared telescope to scan entire sky
By Brandon Griggs, CNN
December 14, 2009

(CNN) -- NASA launched a new telescope into space on Monday to scan the cosmos for undiscovered objects, including asteroids and comets that might threaten Earth.

The Wide-field Infrared Survey Explorer, or WISE, spacecraft will employ an infrared camera to detect light- and heat-emitting objects that other orbiting telescopes, such as the Hubble, might miss.

..."We can help protect our Earth by learning more about the diversity of potentially hazardous asteroids and comets," said Amy Mainzer, deputy project scientist for the $320 million mission at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California.

WISE also will be looking for dim stars called brown dwarfs and millions of far-away galaxies that are shrouded in dust and often can't be seen in visible light.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

www.cnn.com...

[edit on 1/28/2010 by GoldenFleece]

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
well presented information, Hmmmm I wonder what is the timeline is that we are coming up on. ... anybody?..

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Does it have to be evil? or can it just be naturally occurring?

It's well known that magnetic poles wonder and have changed in the past. This would give some meaning to why African plains were once green and lush and now are more akin to deserts.

Natural occurance. I don't see how this could all have happened over night. None of the evidence you provided gives an indication for such an occurrance?

As for wiping out of a culture 2000 years strong, are there not peruvians to this day? alive? evidently not all of them were wiped out. Maybe they just had to displace from where they were - given their land was no longer hospitable.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by GoldenFleece

the exact date is unknown as spedcified in the post. There are 2 ways of dating it but the point is only an asteriod or volcano can bring about the type of events happening around that time. The minoan civilisation destroyed the indus civilisation destroted, the plagues that plagued Egypt and the events in the Exodus including the parting of the red sea.
The start of the mayan Empire started at around this time. The first true civilization was established with the rise of the Olmecs in the Pre-Classic period 1500 BC -300 AD. The Olmecs settled on the Gulf Coast, and little is known about them.
And not to mention that History only got started after 1500BC in terms of earliest written records....
Also it was around this time there was a lot of humans migrating to other lands as if in search of new pasture. Something happened to these people that made them search for new lands

[edit on 28-1-2010 by loner007]

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
If anyone's interested, I wrote a similar thread on these cyclical catastrophes a few days ago:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

There's a lot of crossover of evidence from both our posts. I did dive into a bit more detail on some of the flooding and mammoth skeletons.

Very interesting topic all around :-)

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by amance

Excellent thread -- I hadn't read it and I rarely venture into '2012' waters.

Great minds think alike.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Yours and Amance's threads are both good reads and well presented...well done.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
It's not all about endings, apparently. Many cultures have their genesis 3,600 years ago, and it was from then that iron first began to be used. It seems that, whether from environmental causes or some other even less well understood mechanism, there is a cyclical transition. Cultures and creatures die out and others arise to take their place. What is worrying from our perspective is that currently ours is a global culture. Maybe it will mean a much needed, perhaps essential, fragmentation. Think of it like an amputation to remove gangrene; hideously painful and terrifying, but essential for continued life......

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Well, if I were doing the Greenland Ice core samples, I would look at those air bubbles from 3,600 years ago, and check their methane levels.

Evidently there weew some nice volcanic eruptions in this time frame. At this time the rift between the African and Arabian plates was more active (as much as I hate to point to the Bible as a historical source, it does date from this time, and makes extensive mention of earthquakes and volcanic activity)

Sizable eruptions could not only add plenty of methane, sulfur dioxide, and CO2 to the atmosphere, but could also trigger oceanic landslides that disturb deep-sea methane. Methane is a BIG warming gas, much more effective than CO2. However it's also cleaned out of the atmosphere much faster. So a few good eruptions could cloak the planet in a layer of GHG's that basically result in very large climate shifts over a short period of time that are corrected within a century or so.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   
There is so much hard evidence that major catastrophic events happen on regular cycles yet people still don't think it's possible during our brief time in history. Something causes these events. I do think there is something to 2012 due to the rare astrological alignments. The Sun eclipsing the center of the milky way with Jupiter close to alignment behind us. That's a lot of large sources of gravity and magnetism all interacting as we pass through the galactic equator.

I think the NASA "Energy Ribbon" that they discovered at the edge of our heliosphere which happens to be almost perpendicular to the Milky Way is really our heliosphere interacting with the strong magnetic field of the black hole at the center of our milky way extended in a disk along the equator. The whole field itself I believe is spherical and incompases our galaxy and then some but it's stronger along the galactic equator due to large amount of debris trapped there as gravity extends in a disk also along the Gal Equator.

If you think of our Heliosphere as the "Shields for the Enterprise" you know what happens to here when she takes some phazers to the shields. The shield lights up where it hits. Phazers are charged particles exactly what our solar system and beyond produce in abundant quantities.

That to me is one clue. To me the latest increase in shallow depth Earthquakes along almost all fault lines is a troubling sign also. We'll see if it settles down or ramps up. Also, our magnetic North Pole is accelerating almost exponentially towards Siberia. It could moving up to 100km/year by the end of this year according to Natural Resources Canada and it's acceleration has them a little puzzled. Yes it's always moving but never at this quick a pace and such a defined path. Usually it wobbles a bit over the years and even changes direction. But I think its pretty obvious where magnetic north wants to go.

Are the magnetic poles about to flip? I personally believe as I have stated in other threads that the Earths solid iron core is trying to align with the much more powerfull magnetic field of our galaxy. In case you haven't looked up at the night sky before our solar system isn't exactly in sync with the plane of our galaxy. As the inner core starts to move to align friction with the liquid metal outer core causes its orientation and spin to change and in turn the liquid rock core does the same and then the crust gets to do the same. Then it's bad time for us surface dwellers most get wiped, world starts over, THE END.

Maybe Mother Nature knows us better than we know ourselves. She knows that given enough time mankind will get soo out of sync with her and turn on ourselves that she built in an automatic reset button. She knows exactly how long the cycle is.

I do believe that what you've witnessed in the last 30 years has all been in preperation for this event. Maybe the secret knowledge of the Masons and Skull and Bones, Etc is the time of the next event. If these socities go back so far then maybe that's their secret knowledge. It's just getting harder for them to contain the situation. I think the raping and pillaging of gov't coffers worldwide were the top 1% trying to cash out to prepare and they tanked the market ahead of it's scheduled time.

Denver airport and the often creepy foretelling of some apocalypse of sorts. And the reports of a massive underground facility built right under peoples noses during the airport expansion. I believe the airport expansion was a cover to build the facility there for those who paid to get in there

Things to look for:

-increase in tectonic fault line quakes as well as new ones starting
-increase in visible fireball meteors as we get closer to Gal plane debris
-increase in violent storms as change in magnetic field will change ocean currents and weather patterns

Look for more info about this "Giant Energy Ribbon" I believe this is important. Look for it to grow even more. Voyager 1&2 picked up faint traces of it but nothing to the extent it is now. I think of it as the bow wave you see on big cargo ships as our heliosphere pushes its way through the strong magnetic field at the Galactic Equator.

Look for more announcements of satellites looking for more info about the magnetism and content of particles surrounding us. There already have been a few launches looking for non-visible objects.

I guess in sumary, if this disk of strong magnetism and gravity does exist at the Galactic equator and it must since most all galaxies are flat spiral disks. It is believed that our solar system travels in a "SINE" wave patterm relative to our galaxy's plane. The Mayans believe it was the 5th oscillation that brought the cataclysm to Earth.

Perhaps this disk has a YO-YO effect on our planets like a bug to the zapper light. We get pulled towards it and then "ZAP" bounce away again only to return later. Perhaps the 5th oscillation is upon us and it's this one that we get a little too close to the Galactic plane and this starts the buzzing all over again.

All I know is I can put 400 miles of Western Canadian Rockies behind me in no time and lot's of 6000'+ land to squat on.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Amaterasu

There's no evidence for that pseudo-scientific hogwash.

reply to post by DEEZNUTZ

We passed the centre of the galaxy in 1998, I believe, so galactic alignment is a bit passe. Also, galactic alignments happen every 36 years, so if it was such a big thing, there'd be no Earth left.

Also, the Earth's magnetic field can shift and flip all it wants, with no ill-effect on us, as the field will be there through the flip, it just won't be as pretty as it currently is.

So this is just more baseless 2012 conjecture. Yay.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Millennia ago, Egyptian and Celtic authors recorded prophetic warnings for the future and their harbinger signs are now converging on 2012. These predications are contained in The Kolbrin Bible, a secular wisdom text studied in the days of Jesus and lovingly preserved by generations of Celtic mystics in Great Britain.

Nearly as big as the King James Bible, this 3600-year old text warns of an imminent, Armageddon-like conflict, but this is not the greatest threat.

The authors of The Kolbrin Bible predict an end to life as we know it, by a celestial event. It will be the return of a massive space object, in a long elliptical orbit around our sun. Known to the Egyptians and Hebrews as the "Destroyer," the Celts later called it the “Frightener."

Manuscripts 3:4 When blood drops upon the Earth, the Destroyer will appear, and mountains will open up and belch forth fire and ashes. Trees will be destroyed and all living things engulfed. Waters will be swallowed up by the land, and seas will boil.

Manuscripts 3:5 The Heavens will burn brightly and redly; there will be a copper hue over the face of the land, ‘followed by a day of darkness. A new moon will appear and break up and fall.

Manuscripts 3:6 The people will scatter in madness. They will hear the trumpet and battlecry of the Destroyer and will seek refuge within dens in the Earth. Terror will eat away their hearts, and their courage will flow from them like water from a broken pitcher. They will be eaten u in the flames of wrath and consumed by the breath of the Destroyer.

Manuscripts 3:10 In those days, men will have the Great Book before them; wisdom will be revealed; the few will be gathered for the stand; it is the hour of trial. The dauntless ones will survive; the stouthearted will not go down to destruction.

The Destroyer is also known today as Wormwood, Nibiru, Planet X and Nemesis. There are also troubling prophetic correlations to the future predictions of Mother Shipton's "Fiery Dragon" and the "Red Comet" warning of the Mayan Calendar 2012. While these future predictions are uncertain at best, is it possible for us to know about the Destroyer's previous flybys with a great degree of certainty.

[edit on 2/3/10 by Ophiuchus 13]

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by davesidious

I have to wonder why did you read through this thread and then post your pseudo-scientific hogwash? All you posted was opinion, you could at least back up your claims like others have done here. Treee rings, ice cores, volcanic rock, these are real. Give us some data on the Galactic Center we passed through, is it the same as the alignment some refer to? Really, I'd like to know.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by SunnyDee

You're wasting your time, davesidous is a troll plain in simple. You will find him chastising others in several other threads. My advice put him on ignore like the rest of the professional A** H$#(.

In regards to this thread, thank you OP, great information!!!

If anyone is interested one of the best videos I've seen explaining these cycles is "Old World Secrets The Omega Project Codes". The books are excellent as well.

Here is the book:

[edit on 3-2-2010 by OnTheFelt]

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by OnTheFelt

Thanks for the reply, informative.... insidious in the name should have been a giveaway! I feel we need to call people out that come to derail though, since not everyone can see through the derailing and may disregard important content.
edit: ok, insidious is not in his name, but close enough.

[edit on 3-2-2010 by SunnyDee]

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by davesidious
reply to post by Amaterasu

There's no evidence for that pseudo-scientific hogwash.

reply to post by DEEZNUTZ

We passed the centre of the galaxy in 1998, I believe, so galactic alignment is a bit passe. Also, galactic alignments happen every 36 years, so if it was such a big thing, there'd be no Earth left.

Also, the Earth's magnetic field can shift and flip all it wants, with no ill-effect on us, as the field will be there through the flip, it just won't be as pretty as it currently is.

I copied your entire quote to prove my point. You claim that this is all hogwash, and then proceed to provide information that is SO FAR from accurate it's scary. You think a galactic alignment occurs every 36 years and you have the audacity to discredit an entire thread that, though controversial in nature, was well prepared, well written, and well informed.

It's the flippant comments and nonsense like this that derail threads.

I encourage you to research galactic alignments. There are MANY very interesting occurrences associated with 2012 that are not at all doom and gloom.

Further, all civilization analysis and theories regarding evolution, extinction, mass climate change, etc., are done in rather broad ranges. Even the extinction of the dinosaurs is not given as an exact day of the week in time. It would be laughable to think that scientists will ever be able to pinpoint to a day when extinctions and climate change occur. Why? Because it happens over a period of time. One does not certainly wake up and discover the Sahara Desert riddled with plant life, lakes, and animals.

Lastly, if you think that a magnetic polar shift (a true one) can occur without anyone noticing, as you suggest above, you should look that up as well.

It's one thing to not have facts correct, it's another to come into a thread and trash it based on wrong information.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by davesidious

I think the poster is referring to passing through the plane of the milky way, not aligning with it. As such it is far from unscientific.

Please read the WHOLE of this article before commenting further.

To predict the length of time between the Solar System's crossings of the galactic plane, astronomers have had to gauge the up-and-down motion statistically, using the numbers and the velocities of many sample stars distributed above and below the plane. The mathematical analysis then yields as a final result both the period of the up-and-down motion and the space density of matter in the flat galactic disk. In the same way that a pendulum swings much faster on Earth than in a low-gravity environment, such as an Earth-orbiting spacecraft, the surprisingly large space density found in the galactic disk gives the Solar System an unexpectedly short up-and-down period of 30 to 35 million years. This new measurement agrees uncannily well with the known impact cratering period on Earth. And it is likely that another big impact on Earth will happen sometime soon, at least within the next million years, because the inner Solar System seems to be in a comet shower now.

Source: www.giss.nasa.gov...

The relevant section is in bold.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join