It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Driver fined for blowing his nose

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Driver fined

news.bbc.co.uk

An Ayrshire businessman says he has been fined by the police for blowing his nose while driving.

Michael Mancini, from Prestwick, said he was sitting in stationary traffic with the handbrake on when he used a tissue to clean his nose.

He claimed he was waved over by four police officers and given a fixed penalty for not being in proper control of his car.

He has refused to pay the £60 fine and the case may now proceed to court.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 28-1-2010 by bigyin]

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Another case of Police being over zealous or are they just doing their job ?

Personally I think the officer issuing the ticket should be sacked for wasting everybodies time and money.

I'm equally amazed the the Procurator Fiscal agreed to progress the case.

I know that budgets are due to be cut. i know somebody who works for Strathclyde Police and he was telling me that they have a £6million hole to fix in this years budget. Perhaps fining anybody for anything is one way to raise additional funds?

news.bbc.co.uk

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
damn by any chance does the police officer happen to resemble a goofball with an IQ lower than 40???

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I brought my first car the moment I passed my test, and was driving up the M23 (old Triumph Dolimite Sprint) and was pulled over by these 2 cops,

They went through the car noting much wrong with it including bald tyres.. then asked me for my licence, I handed over the pass slip I'd been given hours earlier and instead of nicking me for having a dodgy car, they spent the next 45 mins showing me all the things to look out for when buying a car...

They also advised me to go back to the garage and either demand my money back, or get them to fix it... They even said if I had an issue to contact them. I did as advised, got the car fixed and still use their adivce to this day when buying a car.

If that happened now, I'd lose my car, my licence, and have to pay a large fine for all those offences..

Somehow methinks the Police are more about making money than helping the public... which I know frustrates a lot of the policemen I know.

Methinks we live in a very sad world right now.

edit to add: it would have also cost me the job I had just secured.

[edit on 28/1/10 by thoughtsfull]

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
The policeman is being replaced by the camera, and the mission has changed from keeping the peace to generating revenue.

Common sense used to prevail, not now.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Crikey mate,hope the old bill never see me driving when i have a hayfever sneezing fit...It has happened,although I am usually able to pull over in time.

A bit OTT on behalf of the cops IMO-If it was me I would have argued (politely)that it was neccessary for me to do this in order to BE in control of the vehicle,as I suddenly got a speck of grit in my eye,and the action of blowing my nose was one that had to be done at that very second-OTHERWISE i would have lost control.

Yeah...they love me.

PS Did you hear the one about the drivers getting fined for having 2 tickets on their windscreen?

(sadly not a joke)

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Read that one and weep...More of the same OTT attitude from our aurthority figures.

COMPLY COMPLY COMPLY-You will be assimilated.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
And if it was a police vehicle who stopped his guy, why were they not being observant on the road either? eye for an eye.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I read the heading with a sinking heart. I just KNEW this would be from the UK where the motorist has become easy prey. WTF - I've been know to apply full make up and prepare a 3 course meal when stuck in traffic! Seriously, this is beyond ridiculous.
In the sheltered housing scheme where I worked, a gentleman in his 80s got a ticket for having his disabled permit the wrong way round. And recently in the UK, there was a case of motorists having to abandon their vehicles in the snow being wheel clamped. I also once met a furious driver in a petrol station who had just received an on the spot fine for having a dirty number plate (it was still readable).

[edit on 28-1-2010 by unicorn1]

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I agree with the police here, the man has obviously jeopardized his life and lives of surrounding car drivers with his irresponsible actions. He obviously allowed himself not to be on alert for potential incoming meteorites and/or terrorist-hijacked air planes. This could have had devastating consequences, as the process of extracting bodily fluids out of one's nose reduces traffic awareness for a considerable percentage. Imagine if he had kids in the car, I cannot understand such lack of responsibility, I simply cannot - in fact, he should be hanged, not fined. OK I'm done with sarcasm

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by unicorn1
I read the heading with a sinking heart. I just KNEW this would be from the UK where the motorist has become easy prey. WTF - I've been know to apply full make up and prepare a 3 course meal when stuck in traffic! Seriously, this is beyond ridiculous.

I was exactly the same...
Just read it and thought, 'yep, gotta be UK'..

I've no idea what this country is coming to, but it depresses me more and more each day..
I'd recommend you read 'Wasting Police Time' by PC David Copperfield, a really funny yet sobering book on exactly this kind of thing..

Also my dad is an inspector, he just really hates what's happening to the police, seriously, it's depressing him...

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by purehughness

I've heard a radio interview with 'David Copperfield'. Don't know if he is still in the police. At that point, he was thinking his cover would be blown shortly.
Unfortunately it's about targets these days.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by unicorn1

No I think his cover has already been blown...

But you're right, targets and government revenue is the name of the game..

My dad should just do what that one officer did and join the Canadian police, where everything WORKS! No officers wading through paperwork, everyone goes out during the day to proactively help people!

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
It would be one thing if the guy were putting blow up his nose and the police went apes$%t.
But this is just a guy that's simply blowing his nose.
Law enforcement agents seem to look at things ass backwards at times

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I wonder wether this guy could challenge the fine in court under the "Catch it, kill it, bin it" advice given to the public by the NHS. If the police deem it unecessary that the NHS advice is flawed, then either the Swine Flu myth can be proven as fake, or the Police are abusing their powers.

Either way this guy is going to win the ruling if he uses the NHS advice for his favour.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigyin

Another case of Police being over zealous or are they just doing their job ?

Personally I think the officer issuing the ticket should be sacked for wasting everybodies time and money.

I'm equally amazed the the Procurator Fiscal agreed to progress the case.

I know that budgets are due to be cut. i know somebody who works for Strathclyde Police and he was telling me that they have a £6million hole to fix in this years budget. Perhaps fining anybody for anything is one way to raise additional funds?

news.bbc.co.uk

I agree with every word of that ^^

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ROBL240
I wonder wether this guy could challenge the fine in court under the "Catch it, kill it, bin it" advice given to the public by the NHS. If the police deem it unecessary that the NHS advice is flawed, then either the Swine Flu myth can be proven as fake, or the Police are abusing their powers.

Either way this guy is going to win the ruling if he uses the NHS advice for his favour.

Cracking angle!
Thats better than my earlier defence by a long shot-the guy could get the media involved if he used this angle you mention.
"Police practice Spreads Swine FLOO!!"
Screams the daily mail.
Good stuff.

new topics

top topics

join