It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eclipse Photograph Exposes Details of Both Sun and Moon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/193ff3fc0077.jpg[/atsimg]

Quote from source:
July 22, 2009, brought the longest total solar eclipse that Earth will witness in the 21st century. Visible within a narrow band snaking across Asia and the Pacific Ocean, the totality of the eclipse lasted up to six minutes and 39 seconds, a duration that will not be surpassed until 2132. At Enewetak Atoll in the Marshall Islands, where the first hydrogen bomb was tested by the U.S. in 1952, the totality lasted more than five and a half minutes.

Miloslav Druckmüller, a mathematician at the Brno University of Technology in the Czech Republic, and his colleagues were on Enewetak as the eclipse's shadow raced toward them from the northwest at more than twice the speed of sound. This composite of 31 images from the eclipse shows the solar corona, the wispy "atmosphere" of the sun peeking out from behind the moon as well as the cratered, rayed surface of the moon itself.

Druckmüller, who specializes in eclipse photography, wrote a 2006 article for Scientific American explaining some strategies for capturing such phenomena. But aspiring eclipse shutterbugs will have to wait—the path of the next total solar eclipse, in July, will barely touch land, and the occultation of November 2012 will just graze northern Australia. The next total solar eclipse with significant land coverage will cross Indonesia in 2016.

I thought this photograph was phenomenal!! An amazing picture and I thought it needed to be shared!

Enjoy!!

Any thoughts?

Pred...

[edit on 28-1-2010 by predator0187]

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   
search before you post. someone posted it already

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

Nice!

Thanks for sharing, but I think someone beat you to it.

Still it's a wonderful photo!

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by pavelivanov22

Sorry my apologies.

[edit on 28-1-2010 by predator0187]

new topics

top topics

join