It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Iraq Governing Council member Salama al-Khafaji's convoy was ambushed.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 01:33 PM
link   
One of three women serving on the Iraqi Governing Council was ambushed today when gunmen opened fire on her convoy. Salama al-Khafaji was in one of three cars that were fired on. She is reported to have survived, but three of her bodyguards are dead and her son is missing and presumed dead.

FoxNews.com Details as they become available . . . Related News Stories: Bloomberg.com News.co.au [Edited on 27-5-2004 by Banshee] [Edited on 28-5-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Fox News:
Gunmen ambushed a convoy carrying a member of the Iraqi Governing Council on Thursday as she returned to Baghdad from Najaf.
It was not immediately known if she was injured.

Salama al-Khafaji was in a three-vehicle convoy that came under fire late Thursday in the town of Yusufiyah, according to close aide Rasoul Talib.

The aide said he heard of the ambush from one of the guards traveling in the car ahead of al-Khafaji's.
The guard sped away when the shooting started, and said he did not know what happened to the others, Talib said.

Attacks on the IGC are happening really often now.
I hope the persons attacking them wise up soon.
Stability of the new government is very important to ending the occupation, so if they are against the occupation, it's in their best interest to not attack the IGC.

[Edited on 27-5-2004 by AceOfBase]

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 02:10 PM
link   
An unusual way of considering this is that its a sign of success.
The Fayadeen, Al Qaida, Iran and Syrian supported Insurgents have been unsucessful in destabilizing Iraq except for a few isolated areas that are now being brought under control. Their only alternative out of desperation is to asassinate the current transitional government.
I also can't see their logic because it will keep U.S. forces there longer - the only way it makes sense is if they have people on their side politically to replace the counsel members killed or it could be sheer intimidation.

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phoenix
Their only alternative out of desperation is to asassinate the current transitional government.
I also can't see their logic because it will keep U.S. forces there longer - the only way it makes sense is if they have people on their side politically to replace the counsel members killed or it could be sheer intimidation.

You must also take into consideration the intimidation tactics used against people who work for or with the coalition. Translators, laborers, drivers, etc.... they are getting beat up or killed because they are trying to work to feed their families. Those situations do not really seem to get much news attention.

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Bloomberg...
quote.bloomberg.com...

Sanc'.

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Further...
Iraq politician's son killed in ambush.
news.com.au...
Sanc'.

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Americans, pull the reigns on our leaders. This war was not a wise venture. To go to the barbarians and try to establish a republic is not going to work. These people deserve EXACTLY the government they get. If their nation is filled with evil people who will hurt their own kind, then they are barbarous, unclean people, and we have no business sending our people there. Only a foolish president would continue such a policy.

Arkaleus

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 06:28 PM
link   
yeah there getting really desperate
hmm wonder if there trying to take out people so they can move in their pawns

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I would agree that they are making a poor decision with the attempted assignation attempts, but I am not willing to say they are evil people. To group an entire nation (soon to be) with a select few individuals is wrong. Remember, even if it is a few thousand compared to the entire population its small.

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Yeah i wonder how these people think in everyday life, i mean the evan kill there own people, ie iraqis killing iraqis, and now evan there own goverment.

They cheered when saddam's power over them was gone, and they carry on like this!

I say if they want to live in a country that is of there own making, violent and people killing each outher because they sit on a differnt side of a fence so to speak, then i saw let them.

[Edited on 27/5/04 by madwalrus911]

top topics

join