It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama wants to out our military!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Fox news has just reported that Obama, in tonight's state of the union speech, will as congress to repeal the "Don't ask, don't tell" policy in the US military.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Link please? If there is no source, there is no proof.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sf18443
Fox news has just reported that Obama, in tonight's state of the union speech, will as congress to repeal the "Don't ask, don't tell" policy in the US military.

Look, I have extensive hetero credentials, but really, what's the big deal? Our military should be made up of the cross-section of our society, and homosexuals are a part of it. My problem lies when they want to force the exposure to homosexuality on our pre-pubescent chidren, (as in presenting that "lifestyle" in school, books, etc, to children 12 or so and under). THAT is wrong.

Other than that, I don't care who Sgt. Jones blows in his off-time, as long as he follows his orders while delivering on his promise to protect the tenets of the Constitution.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by MajesticJax

Look, I have extensive hetero credentials, but really, what's the big deal? Our military should be made up of the cross-section of our society, and homosexuals are a part of it. My problem lies when they want to force the exposure to homosexuality on our pre-pubescent chidren, (as in presenting that "lifestyle" in school, books, etc, to children 12 or so and under). THAT is wrong.

Other than that, I don't care who Sgt. Jones blows in his off-time, as long as he follows his orders while delivering on his promise to protect the tenets of the Constitution.

What are you talking about?

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

It's all over Twitter, as well... Lots of speculation about what might be said, nothing conclusive.

Huff. Post

President Barack Obama will directly address the military's "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy in his State of the Union address on Wednesday evening, sources on Capitol Hill and in the gay-rights community tell the Huffington Post. What exactly he will say about it remains a topic of intense debate, however -- though the betting among plugged-in sources is that he will call for its repeal.

[edit on 27-1-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
reply to post by Phlynx

It's all over Twitter, as well... Lots of speculation about what might be said, nothing conclusive.

Huff. Post

President Barack Obama will directly address the military's "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy in his State of the Union address on Wednesday evening, sources on Capitol Hill and in the gay-rights community tell the Huffington Post. What exactly he will say about it remains a topic of intense debate, however -- though the betting among plugged-in sources is that he will call for its repeal.

So don't ask don't tell is a reference to gay and bi sexual people in the military?

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   

STD's/HIV is the big problem if our military let nancy boys openly join. not to mention all the foolish deviant behavior that would go on in the shower room and after lights out. Plus, I think the majority of soldiers would be uncomfortable sharing close living quarters with a homosexual, I know I would.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

So don't ask don't tell is a reference to gay and bi sexual people in the military?

Correct.

Don't Ask, Don't Tell - Wiki

Historical Context - UC Davis

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

I'm TALKING about me not being able to discern if you are for or against it. From reading your post, I'm assuming you are against the repeal of that policy. And I'M saying to YOU, basically, please give us a little more info on YOUR thoughts. You posted a few liner RUMOR, gave no supporting evidence, didn't tell us your opinion on the matter, and left us in the lurch. Please read the T & C's.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Sorry, but I ain't buyin' it! MY tv has been on all day, and it's been on fox most of the day. I haven't heard anything about this. This speech has been kept totally under wraps. No one knows what our fearful leader will have to say tonight. But with his liberal leanings, "don't ask, don't tell" won't enter into it! I would believe he would go for complete disclosure before touching that can of worms, and disclosure sure as hell ain't gonna happen tonight!

+7 more 
posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Sf18443

I hope you're right and he does ask for a repeal. More importantly, I hope it happens.

Originally posted by Moonman1111
STD's/HIV is the big problem if our military let nancy boys openly join.

You think it's going to make a difference whether they're "out" or not? If gay people are already in the military (which they are) it's not going to make any difference is they're open about it or not. That's silly.

not to mention all the foolish deviant behavior that would go on in the shower room and after lights out.

You mean like our military men raping women right and left? Yeah, being straight really keeps the deviant behavior out of the military, huh?

Plus, I think the majority of soldiers would be uncomfortable sharing close living quarters with a homosexual,

"Uncomfortable"? I love this argument. It's the most ridiculous one of them all. So, the big manly, soldier is "uncomfortable" with homosexuals, huh? Awww... poor wus! I can just see the big soldier telling his Sargent that his pillow is "uncomfortable" or that he's "uncomfortable" having to march through the mud.
I'd love to see that. My answer to that is, "Well, GET comfortable, soldier"!!!

+4 more 
posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Moonman1111

STD's/HIV is the big problem if our military let nancy boys openly join. not to mention all the foolish deviant behavior that would go on in the shower room and after lights out. Plus, I think the majority of soldiers would be uncomfortable sharing close living quarters with a homosexual, I know I would.

You win my ignorance of the day award friend!

Good job, there were a lot of finalists, you should be proud.

On a serious note, NO that would not be a problem as there are already gay's in the military, just because they can say they are gay does not give them carte blanche to start sleeping with each other.

Straight soldiers aren't allowed to do that either, it's not like the gay's aren't going to follow the rules or anything.

Secondly, only bigots would be uncomfortable sharing space with another human being who just happens to like the same sex.

To add, if I was in the military and were with my fellow soldiers, I would not care if they were gay, simply because those men would give their lives for any of their fellow soldiers. That is a respect that goes beyond just stupid generalizations.

~Keeper

[edit on 1/27/2010 by tothetenthpower]

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   
[quote/]STD's/HIV is the big problem if our military let nancy boys openly join. not to mention all the foolish deviant behavior that would go on in the shower room and after lights out. Plus, I think the majority of soldiers would be uncomfortable sharing close living quarters with a homosexual, I know I would.

Why would you be uncomfortable sharing living quarters with a homosexual? And calling homosexuals "nancy boys" is just stupid since I'm sure there are a lot of gay people who would beat you to a pulp if you called them a nancy. Being gay only means that they prefer the same sex, it doesn't speak for their character, morals, or ethics. Stop generalizing.

[edit on 27-1-2010 by lippJ]

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I find myself agreeing with you most of the time BH but not on this one. There is nothing more important in the military than unit cohesion. These guys eat, sleep, shower, fight and die in very close proximity to each other. The LAST thing our fighting men need to be doing is wondering WTH the soldier next to him is thinking.
I don't believe in having women in combat nor men who are openly homosexual. If they can hide it, fine. Otherwise, no.
I'm not homophobic nor do I serve in the military.
Respectfully disagreeing with you on this though.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals

I find myself agreeing with you most of the time BH but not on this one. There is nothing more important in the military than unit cohesion. These guys eat, sleep, shower, fight and die in very close proximity to each other. The LAST thing our fighting men need to be doing is wondering WTH the soldier next to him is thinking.
I don't believe in having women in combat nor men who are openly homosexual. If they can hide it, fine. Otherwise, no.

The last thing our soldiers need is to be fighting in a war in which they cannot win. In my opinion, the biggest (and best) thing that would happen is that they would see just how similar they are.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals

So women or homosexuals cannot guard your nation and keep your give rights in tact? Is it because you them as weaker, or are you worried that the "big, strong men" who are in the military would waste time worrying about being molested in their sleep?

I don't mean to be rude, but it's really close minded to think that soldiers even give a damn about don't ask don't tell. It would be interesting to see how many would actually be bothered by gays serving openly.

I know myself that as long as you are willing to pick up a gun and fight for MY rights as a citizen, I don't care who you sleep with.

~Keeper

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

This isn't about civil rights or the weaker sex. The single thing I don't want to see women doing is killing people, even in war. Call me sexist IDC, I think women are too good for such violent roles.
I explained why I don't think OPEN homosexuals should be in combat units. The military has a long, proud tradition which Clinton threw out the window causing many, many of our best soldiers to leave in protest.
I personally have no issue with anyone's sexuality, I feel that's entirely a personal choice.
And yes, I know the spartans actually had men paired both for combat and pleasure but this isn't ancient Greece. This is simply my view of what would work best for the military. Now maybe if they had gay-only combat units............hmmm. They did have black only units, japanese/american units. HELL> WHY NOT? You just changed my mind for me mid-post.

Sadly our military isn't fighting for our rights, I wish they were so I could feel better about the wars we are fighting.

[edit on 27-1-2010 by Asktheanimals]

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Black only units?

You must mean "Operation Stand Behind The Darkie's" lol.

But I understand what your saying, and I respect your point of view, I just don't think that anybodie's personal feelings should interfere with someone's right to serve and protect their country regardless of their personnal choices in life.

It's just discriminatory as it stands.

~Keeper

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   

OH MY GOD!!!!! OH MY GOD!!!!

What a stupid title. Are you saying the military is in the closet, and Obama is going to out the military. Is this still controversial in any thoughtful non-bigoted person's head? Obama ran on this policy being suspended, and it's about time he got to it. I don't know, the more secure one is with their hetero-cred., the less they seem to gush over the issue. Seriously, who without their own issues cares to keep different classes of citizens.

Best,
Skunknuts

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
there are tons of closeted gays in every job,nobody would ever know.The emotional dragnet of this topic is engulfing me.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join