It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Not-So-Amazing iPad

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I don't know if anybody else followed it but today Apple released their so-called tablet the iPad; the catch however is it basically is a glorified iPod Touch or iPhone and actually has none of the functionality that is expected of a tablet PC. So far Apple has been pretty good about upping their game and coming out with consistently innovative and new products but they just completely bombed on this one, I can't wait to see how the news blossoms over this in the next few days as the pundits weigh in, looks like its an MacBook Air pt 2 all over again.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I don't actually mind it, it seems like a more compact and useful kindle. The only things I don't really like about it are that you have to type on the touch screen, which is really annoying, and that it seems like it'd break really easily.

Though I wouldn't buy one right now, (I'm perfectly happy with my current laptop) I'd certainly consider an ipad should the need for a new computer arise.

For those who want to look:

www.apple.com...

Roswell.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I couldn't see replacing my current laptop with it simply because you can't load non-apple approved software and there is no expansion slots or media bays like other portable devices. That being said I could see it being pretty slick for watching movies on, the apple displays tend to be really good. Just not sure how this is supposed to be a tablet since it doest do stylus based input or handwriting recognition.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   

I couldn't see replacing my current laptop with it simply because you can't load non-apple approved software and there is no expansion slots or media bays like other portable devices.

Depends on your needs I guess. I use my MacBook for work, college, and just general surfing/e-mail, etc. So I don't really need anything my laptop can't do. I'm not looking to play WoW on it or anything. And, I enjoy not dealing with viruses...the tradeoff for not being able to load stuff I'll never use anyway...(and I have Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc. all on it, can even do a parallel Windows desktop, should the need arise).

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I don't think it's meant to replace a computer or laptop or even your iphone. It's simply an ebook that will run apps as well. For the moment anyway ... it will be interesting to see what they add to it in the years to come.

Now if it came with a DVD drive and GPS then I would consider it ...

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I wonder what it's like to be Steve Jobs.
Whenever he makes a bowel movement, the fanboys go insane.
People require his permission to use software and put songs on their players.

The responsibility must be awesome.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Its all a clever ploy so they can rape people for money by releasing an updated version in a few months. They have a big enough following to use this strategy without it harming them long term. And once the updated version comes out people will most likely forget the original one was so crappy.

However, I have a friend who likes to preach to anyone who'll listen about how good mac is etc. He was on about getting one of these ipad things, but I wont warn him that its pants, serves him right.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluebelle

No SD slot or USB port either.
But guess what? You can PURCHASE adaptors.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Netties Hermit

Now that is a joke!!!

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Actually, I switched to mac when OS X came out and haven't looked back ... bought a windows 7 netbook for mrs sdog a month ago and I can't stand that thing. So label me an ikoolaid drinker.

However ...

For the first time in a long time I'm wondering what the hell old SJ is thinking about.

i.gizmodo.com...

Instead of being a fully functional tablet mac OS X it's basically an oversized ipod ... presumably so that Freddy Benson can use it.

This for me is a Newton size FAIL!

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Gizmodo.com
No Multitasking This is a backbreaker. If this is supposed to be a replacement for netbooks, how can it possibly not have multitasking? Are you saying I can't listen to Pandora while writing a document? I can't have my Twitter app open at the same time as my browser? I can't have AIM open at the same time as my email? Are you kidding me? This alone guarantees that I will not buy this product.

I wasn't aware of this...Down with the ipad! Burn it!

Also, that joke about the menstrual pads is definitely going to become annoyingly widespread...

Roswell.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Exactly what I'm saying after reviewing the details... I too am a Mac fan (convert), and I too see no real use for this gadget.... I'll keep my MacBook...thanks!

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
It will sell....

I won't buy one:- And I will spill my tripple mocha choca on any one who says my flat screen commodore C64 ain't worth the 30 grand I personally spent developing it.

I will be back to edit this post once I have found the specs - anyone got a link to that at all? - I'm off to look.

edit: the Dock Connector to USB Cable - that could be annoying, you want to plug the thing into your mates computer, so you have to go home and get your dock?, unless he has wifi, or a mac, or this thing just has a standard USB

[edit on 28/1/2010 by Now_Then]

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I agree that this thing is nothing more than an ipod on steroids. It can't make calls, can't take pictures, can't film videos, doesn't have gps or flash and can't multitask.

I'm guessing the second generation will have all that and a bag of chips.

It's too big to stick in your pocket. It's screen is gorgeous but it will be an eye strainer if you want to use it in the sun. You will need a surface to lay it on when you want to type (that video of the dude with it in his lap makes it look extremely awkward). It is a pound an a half, heavier than many books.

Second or third gen will be the one that rocks. This one is merely an ipod/netbook hybrid that can't do what it should.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Whatever it is we've been saying about iPad, whether positive, negative or otherwise, we've sure been saying it a lot. According to the blog, there have been "477,537 tweets that included "apple" and "ipad" over the past two days; 33,892 blog posts and 7,315 traditional media articles."

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   

[edit on 30-1-2010 by Azador]

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Maybe microsoft might get it right?..............hahahaha

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Really, the iPad is computer related? I was under impression that was a fancy feminine thing.

Seriously, I fail to see the advantage of such a device. I think the combination of smartphone/kindle is FAR superior to that... thing.

Apple has become a marketing powerhouse. I miss the old days of PowerPC.

top topics

join