It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weird weather and natural disasters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I know this has been discussed in numerous threads but here's a fresh one.

I live in Northwest Arkansas. We are gearing up for a winter storm that local stations are calling so significant its a "100 year storm" But wait, we just had one of those last year at this time.

I just saw on the news that for the 1st time in history, a state, Kentucky, has been declared a disaster area 3 times in one year, in 2009. If this storm does what is predicted, there is a good chance the same will happen again. That would make 4 times in 13 months. I know this is concentrating on a small area, but it seems the whole world is experiencing weird weather.

Add to this the Haiti quake and the 2004 tsunami, disaters in proportions that we are only supposed to see at the least every 100 years and it seems something is up.

So whats your take,is it endtimes related,climate change,or just increased media coverage. Lets keep this civil. I am more looking for peoples opinion instead of a religious rant or trying to disprove global warming, I mean climate change

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I couldnt agree more mate. Im at the south of England and it is -10, for this time of year, in this specific location, it just NEVER happens. I have had a close look at Lithuania and that region, thats -32 .... lol.

Im just thinking of the film "The Day after Tomorrow"

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I get a sense that things are ramping up for something. Now I know thats been said a million times on this website and i have agreed with that for the last few years, but the pace seems to be quickening.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I live in Arkansas over by Memphis area and you are right, cold and damp. From what have read he world is going into a cooling period, not global warming. But then again I never believed a politician and their scrap, never seen a honest one yet in 60 years.

Tru

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
First of all, pleased ont associate earthquakes with weather (hope that didnt come across as rude)

Secondly, take the term "100 year storm" very loosely, as accurate climatic records rarely exceed 100 years

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
this past week, northern AZ got the 2nd highest cumulative snowfall on record. 54" in four days. roofs collapsed. schools shut down for a week.

these things happen, as mother nature is not above her whims, but my oh my, it sure is a lot of snow!

[edit on 27-1-2010 by mythos]

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Well, we may think we are the biggest, the baddest, and the smartest. It seems that we needed some reminder that Mother Nature could squash us like a bug without further notice.

[edit on 27-1-2010 by DaMod]

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

I am not necessarily associating quakes with weather, just observing the effect they have on humans. However, The Weather Channel seems to associate them i have noticed.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
If you want to read a theory that might explain what is happening I suggest you read upon Gaia Theory

Heres a synopsis taken from same site

The Gaia Theory posits that the organic and inorganic components of Planet Earth have evolved together as a single living, self-regulating system. It suggests that this living system has automatically controlled global temperature, atmospheric content, ocean salinity, and other factors, that maintains its own habitability. In a phrase, “life maintains conditions suitable for its own survival.” In this respect, the living system of Earth can be thought of analogous to the workings of any individual organism that regulates body temperature, blood salinity, etc. So, for instance, even though the luminosity of the sun – the Earth’s heat source – has increased by about 30 percent since life began almost four billion years ago, the living system has reacted as a whole to maintain temperatures at levels suitable for life.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   
I have been looking at this theory but I'm lost. Is this theory saying we are just part of a larger organism like say the liver is to a human? Or am i totally off? And what does this have to do with my original question?

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 12:36 AM
link   
that was a great statement....mother nature has our azz. she can squash anything. we need to be conservative when we go out in the winter( like to climb that mtn in oregon) and winter can be life threatening. or just climbing a tree. give her some respect.!

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unstable Affliction
I couldnt agree more mate. Im at the south of England and it is -10, for this time of year, in this specific location, it just NEVER happens. I have had a close look at Lithuania and that region, thats -32 .... lol.

Im just thinking of the film "The Day after Tomorrow"

It's not been -10c in the south of England for 3 weeks
And such temps are not at all unusual, it's just we've had so many unusually mild winters in the past decade or so that we've forgotten what a normal winter is like.

For a really wierd January look at 2008 - when I didn't recrd a single air frost all month!

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Last week Las Vegas got more rain than it did in all of 2009.

It was fun while it lasted

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by zoso28
I have been looking at this theory but I'm lost. Is this theory saying we are just part of a larger organism like say the liver is to a human? Or am i totally off? And what does this have to do with my original question?

In simple terms The earths eco system is finely tuned for life to take hold. The eco balance is maintained through feedbacks from all 3 kingdoms(animal vegetable and mineral). You disrupt that balance a just a little nature will come back and kick you up the ass..so to speak. Earth can be said to be a living organism that maintains those balances necessary for life and just like any other organism that has a cancer or virus that attacks it will try to fight it off. Now with alll the extreme weather we having and will continue to have because this is natures way of dealing with us and our pollution. Famine as well as food and water shortages will continue to increase over the next 50 years as these extreme weathers will destroy a lot of the crops. Volcanic and earthquake activity will increase also as it try to maintain runaway warming with sulphur dioxide etc....

[edit on 29-1-2010 by loner007]

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by loner007

Thanks for the clarification, I thought thats were that was going.

I guess the question now would be what the the "system" that puts the compensating events in motion?

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
not weird weather,but a definite natural occurence!

www.universetoday.com...

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   
It seems a lot of people feel the need to associate unusual weather events with some kind of larger, scarier scenario. But in reality, NOT having any unusual weather events would be unusual in itself.

The weather has always been unusual, as it is part of a highly dynamic system that we are yet to fully understand. Weather patterns are certainly not constant, or in equilibrium, as some might have you believe. Local weather is constantly changing, which leads to various trends and cycles which may in turn, affect climate on a global scale. But is the recent weather really strange or unusual?

One thing to take in to account, is the increase in reporting of serious weather events. When more and more people move into a disaster prone area, there will obviously be an increase in the amount of people affected by disasters there. This can be falsely attributed to an increase in serious weather, when in actual fact it is merely due to an increase in population.

Another often misleading claim is that an increase in the severity of forest fires is purely due to the climate, when there are other more realistic explanations. For example, small forest burns witch occur naturally (from things such as lightning strike), are now extinguished by man to stop it from spreading. This leads to build up of excessive dry matter on the forest floor, which will then lead to a bigger fire when a big one hits. Also when more people move into an area prone to fires, there will likewise be an increase in damage costs. And all with nothing whatsoever to do with global warming or any other scary story someones trying to sell you.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that although strange weather may make the news, it doesn't neccessarily mean the sky is falling. Maybe there is something deeper going on, but maybe there isn't. Watch out for those chicken little scares!

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Kentucky here!

Last year was a nightmare.... this storm is huge too, but we are at least getting snow out of it and not 3+ inches of ice! I still have power...unlike last year when the power was out for over three weeks!
We have several inches of snow on the ground and the heaviest band is still yet to come...maybe 10 inches before it is over. I for one will not complain! Well at least not until I have to drive to work Monday!

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Hello All,

I am a brand new member. I didn't know where to post this comment so I picked this one regarding strange weather, natural disasters, and such.
This information which I will share with you is third or fourth hand information. Basically I just wanted to get something posted to document this information on this day. The information I will share regards a future event, a prediction if you will, it was relayed to me by a very close and trusted friend.

This is what I heard. A group of South Korean Christians meet regularly to pray. During a recent prayer group meeting in South Korea (unsure what city, likely Seoul), some of the members (unsure of what %) got a "spiritually received message" which stated that there is going to be a natural disaster (I was told a tsunami, but that may not be entirely accurate) which will hit the western USA or California between June 2011 and September 2011.

Now, this information was relayed from the South Korean prayer group to others, who relayed it to my friend's mother who relayed it to my friend who then told me yesterday. There are many links in this chain of information and it is likely the message was not fully preserved by the time it got to me. However, I wanted to share this information to perhaps help open the eyes of people on the west coast and keep your disaster plans at the ready.

I have no facts to back up my claims, I only have the information received from a trusted friend.

Of note: I was also told by my trusted friend, that this same prayer group received a "spiritual message" that Japan was going to suffer a natural disaster. Allegedly the prayer group members contacted some "authorities" in Japan who summarily disregarded the message. One week later, the earthquake and tsunami occured in Sendai Japan. This seems a bit too monumental of a revelation to not have been reported after the fact in the media somewhere. Any one have leads on this tidbit? A small headline somewhere about prediction of the earthquake/tsunami?

Thank you,
-dave

new topics

top topics

join