It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Reason I Dislike Christianity More Than Any Other Religion

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I think you will find that not all Christians are the same

I am a Christian but i am also open to new ideas and concepts... i do not reject science, or the possibility of life elsewhere in the galaxy!

However you will find that there are hardcore elements of Christianity (like any other belief system) that in my mind are almost insane!

"Aids is God cure for gays" and "your all gonna burn in hell" type stuff... totally insane and brainwashed into a scary type of mentality that is not that dissimilar from the Muslim extremists the so like to condemn... the inability to see anything other than their own view point makes them some of the most annoying people on the planet.

Now im not sure if this is just a perception thing, and i certainly don’t mean any offence, but for some reason most of the "REALLY" hardcore Christians seem to be from the USA. We got a few of them here in Britain... But they never seem to be quite as extreme as in the USA. In America there seems to be far more corruption within the church... Christianity has almost been turned into a big corporate money making machine that goes far beyond putting a few pennies in the collection tin once a week.

“Donate your money, buy the DVD, get the T-Shirt, phone our hotline to God”... type stuff... I think there are a lot of fake Christians who are making tons of cash by brainwashing people into this more extreme version of Christianity.

Like i said though, we do have it in Britain to... A friend of mine was at a church once and the preacher was asking people to come to the front so that they could "feel the power of the lord" When they got to the front he would lay his hands on them and they would collapse, into the arms of two helpers, due to the power of the spirit... you know the type of thing right?

Anyway, these to ladies went up... one was very attractive... one was not so attractive and... er... slightly overweight... The preacher lay his hands on them both and they both collapsed... except the two men, that were meant to catch them, both went for the pretty lady. LOL

The "not so attractive" one couldn’t have been that far "in the spirit" because as soon as she realised nobody was gonna catch her she opened her eyes and put her hands out to break the fall...

Fake idiots!!!

Trust me when I say I’ve also seen similar incidents that have made me cringe.

They really do no justice to the majority of sane and down to earth Christians that are out there.

I love my Church, its calm and relaxing... no heavy preaching about fire and damnation... no fake idiots pretending to be in the spirit, it’s just somewhere i can go and find peace, pray, and feel closer to God in a very humble and dignified way!

Damn i sound like a snob now... sorry

Having said all that... i guess it’s just a case of what works for the individual... for me... i can’t stand things that are over the top... just all seems so contrived and un-necessary... But if it works for others... who am i to judge?

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by EagleTalonZ

I’ve made a comparative list so that I can definitively prove that the last son of Krypton is superior to the King of Kings in almost every way.

1. Superman has saved the planet for destruction numerous times. Jesus has threatened to return and bring upon the end of the earth with him, but so far is a #ing “no-show”.

2. Jesus performed a few miracles, but Superman can shoot laser beams out of his eyes, he can fly, is indestructible, and can see through everything except lead. In one movie he turned back time. How awesome is that?

3. Jesus may have died for your sins, but Superman died to protect us from an intergalactic killing machine called Doomsday.

4. When Jesus died, he was resurrected 3 days later and then abruptly left, telling his disciples he’d be back within their lifetimes (an obvious lie). Superman died, was in stasis for a while, and emerged with long glorious 90’s hair. Unlike Jesus, however, Superman stuck around and has been busy keeping the world safe from evil.

5. Although not a God, Superman still risks his life all the time trying to combat super villains. Jesus, on the other hand, is apparently all powerful, and yet refuses to do something as basic as healing amputees.

6. Superman can move mountains. Jesus claims praying to him will accomplish the same feat, but no noticeable effects from prayer have ever been measured.

7. Superman is an expert in dozens of languages, and is an accomplished journalist. Jesus never left any writings, or evidence of any of his works.

8. Superman hooked up with the insanely hot Lois Lane, while the only women that showed any interest in Jesus were all prostitutes.

9. Jesus said “But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me” (Luke 19:27). Superman, on the other hand, has a strict code of conduct that forbids him to kill anyone.

10. If you fell out of your apartment window and cried for help, Superman would try and save you. Not only will Jesus not even bother to save you; he will send you to hell for all eternity if you don’t believe in him.

Now some people may criticize me for this post, and they might be right: what’s the point in debating which fictional character is better, anyways?

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Shadowe

Ah, I really wish I could star your post. You really touched my heart. I am an avid Superman fan anyway. You post truth. Thanks for sharing. I'll remember to look to the skies on my way to work and whisper thank you to the red and blue caped crusader... where ever he is... lol

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 01:43 AM
link   
I commend you sir!

Please don't take this the wrong way because I' referring to myself personally.

I could not live with the fact that I spent so much of my life spreading a poison like you did until you were in your mid 20's.

I would've hung myself for sure.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by DARKCYDE_CROWLEY

Well... lol That would have been in direct violation of what I believed was allowed. Suicide - hell. I never found myself preaching hell personally, only the love of the message. And I actually still live by many of the principles within the Bible. Just not the overall message.

Love is the very best message we can all spread. So if you take the message of Jesus, and live according to it. You won't be poisoned. And you won't be poisoning others. Just have to disregard all the, "If you do this, you're going to hell forever" type stuff.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I do know exactly what you mean, Mr. Crowley. heh

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Just to point out...that one can believe in a God, without believing the Bible, Koran, Torah, etc.

It's funny, that the more we learn about Physics, the more we come back to the idea of divinity.

However, to assume that one group of mankind has the definitive answer is more than just naive, it's absurd.

(So of course, is the idea of Hell, which is rarely even mentioned in the Bible...most of our ideas of it come from Dante, who was imprisoned by the Church...it just made for a great sales pitch)...

When you get down to it, the golden rule of most religions is to treat others as you would wish to be treated. I follow that doctrine vs. archaic rituals and ceremonies.

If your faith strengthens you, by all means, have at it, but don't assume that those of us why believe differently somehow need to be "saved"...

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   
OP, I'm an atheist of just over a year now. I reached atheism via fundamentalism first and I can say I know exactly what you're talking about.

With conviction that any particular perspective is truth, there is some sort of mental de-structuring in an effort to immunise yourself against doubt - which is virtually impossible. But religion has, built in, the systems to condition followers into that impenetrable frame of mind.

Some of the most blatant teachings are things like doubt being of the devil. You can see how Christians can become so very close minded.

reply to post by Gazrok

When you get down to it, the golden rule of most religions is to treat others as you would wish to be treated.

If you actually think carefully about that rule, you see it has shortcommings. For instance if I am a masochist, the logical conclusion when applying the golden rule is that I hurt people. This is why the original form of the golden rule by Confucius (200 years before christ) was "Do not do unto others as you would have them not do unto you."

Essentially not saying you don't have to be good to each other, just don't be bad - a more reasonable request in my mind.

[edit on 8-3-2010 by Welfhard]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   
I have a co-worker who is technically a 7th Day Adventist. She refuses to claim the denomination as "it divides". I can respect that. What irritates me beyond words is that she is completely close minded about all other possibilities. Like so many other religious people I know.

Just for fun I will ask her questions regarding the bible. She responds with of course, what she believes. What she has been taught. The very irritating thing though is that ONLY what she believes/is taught.. is truth. So I say, "You know, they call it The Living Word because people get different interpretations" to which she replies, "They haven't studied it right. It only has one meaning"

So... let me just say for the record, THAT IS ARROGANCE. And very narrow minded as well. It's going in this thread because once again.. I can't stand narrow mindedness and religion is totally full of it! :bnghd:

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I was also raised Christian, by a very strict Christian father, actually. I believe there is a higher power. I also believe SOME parts of the Bible. Something else I believe, however, is the fallibility of humankind. The Bible was written by God…through man. The Koran was written by Allah…through man. See where I am going with this? As soon as humans get into the mix, things tend to get muddled. Unless any one of us has a functional time machine, what is and is not true about the Bible and Christianity will forever remain a matter of faith. Funny…that is applicable to ALL religions.

<< 1   >>

join