It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Reason I Dislike Christianity More Than Any Other Religion

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I was raised a Christian. I was an evangelist for about 5 years. Spent 3 years in a Discipleship Program. I've been all over America preaching the "Good News". I stopped when I was 26.

I only tell you this so you don't say, "You don't even know the bible" or any other such statements. I do know the bible. And I spent my entire life being a part of Christianity.

What I can NOT stand about this religion is the absolute close-mindedness that runs deep within it. It does not allow for any possibilities outside the bible. If you dare to accept or believe science, you're automatically wrong.

Example- All aliens are demons. No if's and's or but's. Also, the Sumerian text, while it is proven to out date all Christian text, is wrong. Again, no room for argument.

It annoys the %#$* out of me! 3 of my brother's as well have left Christianity as a result of our search for truth. Christianity is not truth. But I'm not here to discuss what I believe. I'm here to rant about how close minded Christians are.

You post on threads about aliens only to slam shut the door of possibility. It seems like Christians have to post their doctrine in every single thread of science as well. I appreciate your opinion, but can you please stop spewing your religious views into every single aspect of every single thread?

To quote some of the scripture, "There is a time..." and that's all I'm going to quote. lol

Your opinions matter. And obviously I'm an advocate of free speech. And I love being open minded and seeking out new possibilities. But what I don't like, is how quick Christians are to say, "That's not possible because the bible says..."

Anyway, I'm done ranting. I know I'll get a lot of opposition on this. I suppose it is time. I can't argue with my mom. She just cries cuz, "My son is going to hell..." :bnghd:

I'm sure many of you agree. And many of you don't. Let's see where you stand.

[edit on 27-1-2010 by EagleTalonZ]

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Hi!

I am also a Christian, but I prefer the term Believer in Jesus, who is the Word of GOD in the flesh. I have made a lot of mistakes in my life, still am, but I know I'm forgiven.

I have noted some scripture in the Bible which seems to point to aliens, or extraterrestial life. I believe they may exist. But I have never seen one in person, so I can't make a call. I do believe that all humans came from the original family - Adam and Eve.

There are countless species of different creatures, especially on a microscopic level. They exist, so maybe other creatures on a much larger scale also exist.

At any rate, I believe in the Holy Trinity - Father, Son and Holy Spirit. This is who I will be with in the end.

Thanks!

[edit on 27-1-2010 by Air Force Ron]

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Air Force Ron

I think you answered that very intelligently. And I appreciate your thoughts. You didn't approach it with the typical mindset I see. I certainly have no hard feelings on the choice of religion. I suppose I have come off wrongly by my own words. I would never discourage anyone from choosing or following any religion. I simply dislike close minded people. And unfortunately since I live in the bible belt, I witness it more from Christians than anyone else. So maybe my opinion is narrow as well.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Why would she say you're going to Hell?

If you was a Baptist they believe in 'once saved always saved.' So you should be covered.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Totally irritating isn't it? Christians are supposed to live the whole judge not thing yet I see ALOT of judging. I still have yet to hear one good and solid answer to the following question.

If a guy has sex with another guy and it isn't in front of your face or your childrens face...how does it actually harm you personally?

If gay marriage took hold today...how does ti harm the heterosexual union you have?

-Kyo

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by TinFoilHatMan55

Ironically, I started to agree with that belief just before I walked away from my faith. But my mother was more pentecostal. Or non-denominational. However, many of the non-denom people don't agree with the once saved always saved theory either. Carlton Pearson lost many members of his church when he began to preach that belief.

They believe you can take advantage of God's grace, and manage to fall away. Or "choose" hell. My mom doesn't believe God sends anyone to hell. Rather, that people simply choose to dwell there rather than with the Lord.

Anyway, so that's why she would say I'm going to hell. Cuz I have chose to not worship Jehovah. (God)

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by EagleTalonZ

Well at least it will be warm there lol.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   

In my opinion, people flip out and revert back to the "god did it, the bible says so!" argument (or non-argument) because there is just simply no way to justify their faith in god without using the bible. and why is science or anything else "wrong" in the mind of most Christians? because it contradicts their faith and they have no other defense but to retreat into denial. though, when i think about it that is what MOST people do lol.

[edit on 3-2-2010 by IHateStoopids]

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 12:02 AM
link   
OP I am a Christian and I cannot separate science and God. Talk about a first class scientist, no human is ever going to out do God.

In my opinion it is a very ignorant close minded person to even consider God and science being separate.

I don't know what denomination you were associated with but I fear it must be more fundamentalist than anything else.

You are 26. Go out and experience life. After several years you might get on the right path.

I get so sick to my stomach when others JUDGE all Christians with the same yardstick.

I wish you safety and God's love to get you through what ever you are going through. I imagine you are about to go on a great adventure of learning what life really is.

Could it be your Heavenly Father wants you to get into the world so you can understand it better?

Please, do not forsake our God. Look to Him and not at man.

I would highly suggest you go out of the country on a few mission trips. It was a life changing experience for me.

Peace my brother.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 04:41 AM
link   
reply to post by dizziedame

I certainly appreciate your thoughts on the matter. However, there are several things I must respond to.

I am not 26. I am 29. I was 26 when I woke up. I have been on this journey for 3 years now. When I first woke up, it was the most painful experience of my life. An entire mindset had to be looked at, and done away with. I had to accept that the teachings I was raised on were not true.

When you say I measure all Christianity with a yard stick, well... I'm not actually. It's a matter of being a part of it. Doing the evangelism. Meeting people. Observing their acts when questioned.

I would like for you to explain how you keep science and God together. Do you believe in extra-terrestrial beings? We obviously disagree on the beginnings of humanity. So what do you say about the fact that the Sumerian text is far older than the Bible. (the bible has taken many of the stories it has from the Sumerian text, and so have many other religions)

As I said, I don't want to take anyone from the path they're on. But asking the questions and feeling the mental opposition to those questions as a result of my religion. I know what it's like.

Do you believe in hell? What do you think would happen to you if you chose to seek another path? The thing is, you can have many beliefs as a Christian. Depends on how you interpret the bible. But none of it changes the fact that God still controls you. You aren't truly free to act.

Also, you don't have to be a Christian to do mission trips. I have helped the homeless many times, but I don't credit that to my God. It's just a matter of being a good human being and helping out your fellow man.

I welcome further discussion with you on this topic. I hope I have not offended you. It is all for the sake of intelligent thought, and building intellect. Thanks again for sharing.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   
And I guess they aren't crazy about the whole live and let live idea

Thread

-Kyo

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   
To the OP....Just know, there are many people who see this the same way as you, and I of course am one of them.
I just try and remember, they don't know (in most cases don't want to know) any better. And just give them a break. Hopefully the switch will flip in their mind one day. Until then, I'm not holding my breath.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

Thanks for sharing. I heard about that, though I never stopped by to read it. The thing is, most of the "pagans" or non-believers I know are very laid back. For me, when I left Christianity, I suddenly didn't have a quota to meet anymore. I didn't have to tell anyone about what they shouldn't be doing anymore. I didn't have to do anything regarding faith at all. And it was nice to be free of it all.

I have several friends who are Wiccan. They don't go around knocking on doors and so forth. And when you hang out with them, they are the last ones to judge you if you make any mistakes. I love being around them. There's no pressure.

jinx880101,

I know the very feeling you're referring to. Religion does certainly place a wall around you. When I was a Christian, if someone told me something about Christianity being wrong, I felt a certain hostility to defend it. Not only did I not want to listen but I couldn't listen. It was like trying to stop breathing. So yes, I certainly know what you're talking about. Which is also the reason I don't go to churches and declare Jesus as an alien or anything else. heh

Btw, love the new avatar. Looks good.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I've recently gotten in to an argument with a christian family member about the skill-set of Doctors. She believes only through GOD are they are able to fix/cure people. I was very upset because she was bluntly implying that all those years of college and medical school is, basically, futile. I'm not a Doctor but I'm an engineering major and I'm immersed in science so I am a strong believer in science. I tried showing her many different angles, but she failed to take a look, not even a peak. All I would hear on her end was a quote of different bible scriptures, which had no significance to the argument, but was of general knowledge. I've had more then my fair share of those kind of encounters from Christians, but that was the most recent. I'm no longer affiliated with any religion because of the close mindedness that religion spreads; I believe in GOD and Jesus and I strive to follow the ten commandments, that's what I practice.People can taint the most scared human practices. I believe GOD doesn't want us to live close minded but to live the way that makes us happy and feel fulfilled, but just acknowledge him is all he ask. Wouldn't you want your work to be acknowledged and to acknowledge you.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by KyoZero
Totally irritating isn't it? Christians are supposed to live the whole judge not thing yet I see ALOT of judging. I still have yet to hear one good and solid answer to the following question.

If a guy has sex with another guy and it isn't in front of your face or your childrens face...how does it actually harm you personally?

If gay marriage took hold today...how does ti harm the heterosexual union you have?

-Kyo

Hey,

It's not going to harm me personally.

But just a gentle reminder. It's built to be an entire "one way street" from the mouth right down to the exit point. Going against the traffic flow of nature may not be too healthy.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   

We have our bad eggs too don't get me wrong. We have our kids who join Wicca to be cool or different. But yes you won't see many if any of us canvasing streets with billboards, signs and pamphlets

-Kyo

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by EagleTalonZ
What I can NOT stand about this religion is the absolute close-mindedness that runs deep within it. It does not allow for any possibilities outside the bible. If you dare to accept or believe science, you're automatically wrong.

Example- All aliens are demons. No if's and's or but's. Also, the Sumerian text, while it is proven to out date all Christian text, is wrong. Again, no room for argument.

If you get the chance, read the online true and scientific book of "The devil and Karen Kingston" here: hbcdelivers.s439.sureserver.com...
I've authenticated the authenticity of the book twice now.
It is very sobering.

[edit on 2/8/2010 by texastig]

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by KyoZero

-Kyo

townhall.com...

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Christianity as well as all other orginizied reliegion just started off as a good idea. Look at the 10 commandments.

1 I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. You shall have no other gods before Me.

2 “You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My Commandments.

3 “You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.

4 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

Ok so the first 4 are bad examples. (so shoot me) But the other 6 are perfect examples. If the rest of the world followed these 6 the world would be a far better place.

5 “Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you.

6 “You shall not murder.

7 “You shall not commit adultery.

8 “You shall not steal.

9 “You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.

10 “You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's.”

Though I have learned to dislike christianity as a whole for the resons that you stated, there are those who follow it that are pretty good people and would not put you or anyother person down just because they believe something differnt. But in my book any orgianized religion has got to go.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by jmotley

The basic moral system of mankind should be enough. I don't need rules from a book to tell me that when I do something that hurts another person, it's a bad thing. Though I get what you're saying.

I agree with your final thought. Organized religions need to go.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join