It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spaceport America

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   
www.space.com...

www.spaceportamerica.com...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/956a70515869.jpg[/atsimg]
An artist's concept of Spaceport America, a suborbital spaceport under construction in New Mexico. Credit: Spaceport America Conceptual Images URS/Foster + Partners

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4b0bf8f55ec2.jpg[/atsimg]
This schematic depicts the plan for the terminal and hangar for Spaceport America in New Mexico. Credit: Spaceport America Conceptual Images URS/Foster + Partners

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7faeabcdee88.jpg[/atsimg]
A view of the interior of the future Spaceport America in New Mexico, with Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo-derived spaceliners and their aircraft motherships visible on the runway. Credit: URS/Foster+Partners.

Quote from source:
LAS CRUCES, New Mexico – Dignitaries are sharpening their speeches, Shovels are at the ready. Hard hats are being polished. A dirt-shoving grader is undergoing a tune-up...and organizers are cooking up a hush-hush list of surprises.

Hundreds of onlookers are gathering here for the formal groundbreaking ceremony of Spaceport America, the world's first purpose-built commercial spaceport.

The June 19 event is being billed as a major step in the history and future of spaceflight – with Spaceport America serving as a launch pad for a new era of commercial space, including the boosting of public space travel to the suborbital heights.

Weather and flight test program permitting, the WhiteKnightTwo aircraft is due to cruise by on a long duration sky hop from California's Mojave Air and Space Port over to Spaceport America.

That huge mothership of a craft, now undergoing an ever-expanding list of test objectives, is designed to eventually haul to drop altitude – some 50,000 feet – the six passenger/two pilot SpaceShipTwo suborbital rocket plane – the one-two punch behind Sir Richard Branson's Virgin Galactic spaceliner operations.

I did not see this on ATS so I thought I would post it. I think this is an awesome idea and am happy that they are making space flight available to the public (sort of.) With tickets about $200,000, I hope they will make it more affordable in the future.

To have spaceflight available to everyone would be one of our biggest accomplishments as humans.

Can't wait to see how this pans out. Glad they are breaking ground!!

Any thoughts?

Pred...

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
No body has any thoughts on a commercial spaceport?

Weird...

I would have thought this idea would get some people's attention.

Pred...

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Being built as we speak...www.foxnews.com...

new topics

join